Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 12:38 AM

Pics here:
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...493857831.html

Quote:
"Before you ask, I am not planning on building another building," Roberts said.
http://www2.philly.com/philly/busine...-20180920.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 10:39 AM

LPT didn't buy up all those plots on Arch St. between 19th and 20th for nothing. Even if the building(s) aren't "Comcast 3" or some buildings with the Comcast logo on them -- I'd be shocked if something is not in the works, which is essentially to support Comcast's needs. Luxury apt/condos, more office space, maybe more hotels -- Comcast has been clear on its urban campus desires.
They have the HQ, the tech center, the transit hub, Four Seasons, a few restaurants -- what about housing?! (other than the few condos in CTC, which Roberts owns one).

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 2:24 PM

Looking at the photo on that article, Comcast photoshopped their own building wrong. This is how it should look

The original

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 4:10 PM

In the first picture, the spire looks like 432 Park Avenue.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
In the first picture, the spire looks like 432 Park Avenue.
haha true

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:43 PM

Everyone is speculating so what the heck, I'll do it for fun to!

Liberty Property Trust purchased land between 19th and 20th on Arch so I assume they did it to make money and they probably expect a company to grab it at some point and build on it, its what they do. But then as I sit back and drink my Earl Grey I'm thinking, the Philadelphia Business Journal had an article a while back saying that Hickok Cole which is an architect firm out of Washington DC wanted to design an office tower out of wood. So now the conclusion I come to is this; Liberty expects an office or residential tower or both there and the Philadelphia Business Journal is a good newspaper and reputable so if they report an architect wanting to build Comcast 3 tower and they interview the project architect; then something is planned for that sight; its probably related to Comcast in some way.

Why have a project architect if there's no project planned? Why have the project architect talk about a site of a property in a reputable business journal if its just a rumour?

I don't know; I don't think Comcast 3 is a rumour. I think something is planned for the sight, they may be just lining things up, but time will tell

Last edited by JohnIII; Sep 23, 2018 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 6:59 PM

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:03 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post
Everyone is speculating so what the heck, I'll do it for fun to!

Liberty Property Trust purchased land between 19th and 20th on Arch so I assume they did it to make money and they probably expect a company to grab it at some point and build on it, its what they do. But then as I sit back and drink my Earl Grey I'm thinking, the Philadelphia Business Journal had an article a while back saying that Hickok Cole which is an architect firm out of Washington DC wanted to design an office tower out of wood. So now the conclusion I come to is this; Liberty expects an office or residential tower or both there and the Philadelphia Business Journal is a good newspaper and reputable so if they report an architect wanting to build Comcast II tower and they interview the project architect; then something is planned for that sight; its probably related to Comcast in some way.

Why have a project architect if there's no project planned? Why have the project architect talk about a site of a property in a reputable business journal if its just a rumour?

I don't know; I don't think Comcast 3 is a rumour. I think something is planned for the sight, they may be just lining things up, but time will tell
*site

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 3:43 PM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 12:00 AM

Taken 9/22/2018:

Whatever is going on with the lantern....it seems to be getting worse:

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 5:53 AM

I walked by the Comcast entrance side of CDC yesterday just to look in and look around. Those wood slats that go up the inside and over the top, inside and out? Plastic. It's a vinyl wrap over something and there is a plastic end cap snapped on to each one. It takes about 2 seconds to find the repeat in the grain on the slats.
It looks like some part left over from a cheap IKEA kid's bedroom set. Tacky, just like the molded plastic ribs on the outside lower floors.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 2:33 PM

It seems strange to me that people are worrying about the lantern while the building is still under construction. Maybe the only thing it needs is a regular cleaning and they're just not worrying about that while there's still other work to do?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
It seems strange to me that people are worrying about the lantern while the building is still under construction. Maybe the only thing it needs is a regular cleaning and they're just not worrying about that while there's still other work to do?
Total speculation here: maybe the temporary power source that was lighting up the lantern caused the stain and thats why its been off recently

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfmcshan View Post
Total speculation here: maybe the temporary power source that was lighting up the lantern caused the stain and thats why its been off recently
It's deffinetly the HVAC units that made the stain on it

Old Posted Sep 23, 2018, 11:26 PM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
But my guess is that if and when III is built, it will be on the SW corner of the block where I is built. They already control that site, it would be easily integrated into the underground complex and I'd bet that the City would allow them to build taller then present zoning might allow. If Comcast promises to increase their city based employment by 1K the City would be nuts not to allow them an additional 10 floors (just to make up a example)
I seem to recall that the Comcast Center was pushed back to the north side of the block because the commuter tunnel runs directly under what is now the plaza. So they couldn’t build a substantial building on the SW corner.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 12:02 AM

Today was my first day working at the CTC. The building interior is amazing - far better than I was expecting. Unfortunately, we aren’t allowed to take photos of the interior, let alone post them online, until after the Grand opening.

They spared no expense.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 2:06 AM

(retracted)

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 3:30 AM

The staining on the spire is definitely from the HVAC systems. It's darker on the east where the exhaust vents were (visible before the skin was applied).
And it's unrealistic to think that anybody who paid over a billion dollars for a landmark building will sign off on such a problem. Nobody will agree to do special cleaning for the next 50+ years just because of a design flaw.
I have a feeling that's why the blue plastic is still--still!!!--not removed from the upper part of the south side. If, as has been reported, there is a problem with the finish on the metal, they are probably getting new trim made and will just replace it all (I noticed that there are vertical strips missing from the north side of the Four Seasons section.)

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:27 PM

It seems from my vantage point that the lantern is lit!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture