Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 10:39 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

WCBS-2 TV NEW YORK

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/11/...e-has-arrived/

Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Has Arrived
November 12, 2010 2:11 PM

Getty Images/Mario Tama

Quote:
NEW YORK (CBS 2/AP) — A 74-foot Norway spruce is getting ready for its close-up at Rockefeller Center. The tree was hoisted into place on Friday.

At the time, the temperature was inching into the upper 50s.

The tree was donated by Peter and Stephanie Acton of Mahopac, N.Y. It was cut down Thursday in the backyard of their Putnam County home.

Peter Acton, a New York City firefighter, was a 9/11 responder. The Rockefeller Center tree scout discovered the family’s spruce this year, on Sept. 11.

The lighting ceremony is Nov. 30.

After it’s been admired by millions of people during the holidays, the big tree will be cut into lumber used to build homes.

©2010 CBS Local Media, a division of CBS Radio Inc.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2010, 1:25 AM

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 3:29 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 6:02 PM

Where and how did they manage to fit Snl, Late night and other studios in the 30 Roc?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:44 PM

The television studios are in the base of the building. The tower has a much larger base that extends the full block from north to south and further west. You can see where the studios are located in the building in the large photograph two posts up. The area on the lower part of the building where there are no windows have studios located within the building. I'm stating thin only from memory when I have visited the building and taken the tours, which was a number of years ago.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 5:26 AM
Khurram Parvaz

DeJaVuSG

I see tiny dots moving.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 3:57 AM

My 2011 Slideshow Video Of NYC & The Rockafeller Center Christmas Tree!

My slideshow video of NYC & the Christmas Tree during the 2011 NYC Christmas Season.

(My Video Link): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEP9pSGVF-w

Old Posted May 13, 2012, 3:09 AM

VIDEO: Top Of The Rock (July 2010)

My Video: Top Of The Rock (July 2010).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y65EpZ_2F9g

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 2:31 AM

Those windows are absolutely gorgeous, and ESB is the king of all skyscrapers.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:50 AM

Has anyone been to the Rainbow Room? That's below the observation deck, right?

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:33 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Yes - below the deck. I was up there as a kid.

Old Posted May 15, 2012, 3:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am dying to visit the obs deck. It was closed on my NYC visits during the eighties/nineties. Rainbow room was also closed ("union problems").
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 9:45 PM
don't *meddle*...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2012, 1:24 AM
New Yorker for life

No matter how many higher observation decks they build in Manhattan, I think this one will offer the best overall view of the skyline and the towers that make it...

Larry Laurex

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 1:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Feb 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:51 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DecoJim View Post
The above view is the best; the narrow front of the building is much more graceful that the slab-like sides.
So true.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 1:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Could be the best skyscraper vista on the planet. Could be.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 9:50 AM
New Yorker for life

http://consumerist.com/2014/06/13/co...op-of-30-rock/

Comcast One Step Closer To Slapping Its Logo On Top Of 30 Rock

By Chris Morran
June 13, 2014

Quote:
Comcast may have its global HQ inside the world’s tallest thumb drive here in Philadelphia — and it’s even building a huge middle finger right next door to reaffirm that Philly is Kabletown USA — but the real real-estate cherry in its portfolio has yet to be adorned with the Comcast logo: 30 Rockefeller Plaza in NYC.

The top of the landmark midtown Manhattan tower, home to NBC’s New York operations, still carries the GE logos that have been there for more than a quarter of a century.

But Philly.com reports that last night, a borough advisory board signed off on taking down the GEs and replacing them with the combo Comcast/peacock logo that Kabletown now uses. One consideration for those who might object to the new signs — the NBC peacock will not be in color, but will be a white outline of the famous bird-ish shape.

The switch still requires the approval of the city preservation commission, who will vote on the proposal next Tuesday.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 3:20 PM
BANNED

They will not succeed in ruining a NYC landmark.

Dear City Council,

please stop the destruction of (more) landmarks in the city.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2014, 6:22 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
They will not succeed in ruining a NYC landmark.

Dear City Council,

please stop the destruction of (more) landmarks in the city.

I don't think the "GE" was landmark worthy. It only replaced the "RCA" that was there much longer.

Just be grateful that it isn't Donald Trump who bought NBC...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/ny...t-30-rock.html

Comcast Seeking to Replace G.E.’s Initials Atop 30 Rock

___

By SAM ROBERTS
JUNE 13, 2014

Quote:
Comcast is known for its low-key corporate culture. At its 58-story headquarters, the tallest building in Philadelphia, a boxy glass crown gleams conspicuously but anonymously.

Yet now, as the mass media behemoth lobbies aggressively backstage for federal regulatory approval of its $45 billion acquisition of Time Warner Cable, Comcast is seeking to raise its
public profile in New York in vivid fashion.

The out-of-towner wants to plant its name atop one of the city’s signature skyscrapers.

Comcast, which last year bought General Electric’s remaining 49 percent stake in NBCUniversal, applied for a “certificate of appropriateness” from the city’s Landmarks Preservation
Commission to replace G.E.’s 24-foot-high initials on 30 Rockefeller Plaza. G.E., now based in Fairfield, Conn., has long had a presence in New York.

Whether another name change will be embraced by the public is arguable. It’s been a quarter-century since the two glowing red letters were installed, yet many New Yorkers still refer
to it as the RCA Building, after the company that founded the NBC network. The RCA name had capped the 70-story Manhattan landmark, which at 850 feet amounts to the city’s tallest
billboard (the MetLife Building is considered second), for more than 50 years. When the original letters were first illuminated in 1937, they were hailed as the loftiest neon sign on the planet.

“The idea of changing it now to the Comcast Building,” said Carol H. Krinsky, a New York University art history professor and the author of “Rockefeller Center,” “strikes me the same way
that the change to the G.E. Building name did: ‘I’m the new guy on the block and you are nothing anymore.’ ”

As proposed, more modest 12-foot-high light-emitting diode signs that spell Comcast in white uppercase letters would be installed on the broader north and south limestone exteriors,
crowned by 10-foot-high NBC peacock logos. A 17-foot-high peacock would appear by itself on the western facade more or less facing Philadelphia. Measured in overall square feet, the
new signs would be slightly more compact than the existing G.E. signs.

A new entrance and marquee would also be installed on Avenue of the Americas to promote “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.” (Among the other shows produced there
is “Saturday Night Live,” one of whose alumni, Senator Al Franken, a Minnesota Democrat, opposes Comcast’s acquisition of Time Warner Cable.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture