HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 3:47 PM
Never Dell

Low-tax supporters love subsidies when it's for them.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Low-tax supporters love subsidies when it's for them.
The labeling of states is tiresome as well. The labeling is a somewhat newish phenomenon as well. This didn't exist before the year 2000.

A 'blue state' that happens to vote [53-46] vs. a 'red state' that votes [53-46] is juvenile.

E] I haven't met one person that says, "gosh I wish I paid more in taxes and took home less income". If there are those that do exist, they can write a check to the U.S. Treasury at any time.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 5:53 PM
Never Dell

Or, in the more community-minded areas, we vote to tax ourselves by large majorities.

And yes states were pigeonholed before 2000...just not with the convenient color format.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:04 PM

I always viewed the housing costs in Houston as a tale of two cities..inside the loop (excluding the east)/Uptown and then outside the loop.

Outside the loop may be considered just barely above average from affordable standards but inside the loop is definitely EXPENSIVE.

Here's what I'm seeing...and I constantly check both home prices and apartment rents, inside the loop:

$1,500 a month, or less, for a 1 bedroom apartment will get you a unit in an older complex or one that has a record of car break ins/vandalism, etc.

If you want to upgrade inside the loop look for prices inching closer to $2,000 for a one bedroom. Plus we are throwing up midrise apartment buildings at alarming rates right now...those prices demand the highest rents. Much higher than $2,000/ month. Depending on quality...I've seen these at very expensive monthly rates.

On single family homes...it is very difficult to find a townhouse (say 3 bedrooms) inside the loop, in a decent area, for less than $500,000 . There are some available but look at the quality of the ones asking less than $500K and look at the location. They can be found but there are trade-offs.

On single family homes, you want a house in an inner loop neighborhood, with a yard, that isn't a really old low quality ranch style home...you are looking at around +/- $1,000,000 for that house. This is especially evident in West U, Bellaire, and Rice U area which can be even more expensive than $1M. Not sure about the Heights but those prices have got to be close.

You can find something in say, the Third Ward, but it has its trade offs which is why I honestly feel that the Third Ward will HAVE to gentrify sooner than later. The location is just too valuable and the prices have to justify development by now.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Or, in the more community-minded areas, we vote to tax ourselves by large majorities.

And yes states were pigeonholed before 2000...just not with the convenient color format.
Not really if you look at historic election history. It's a new phenomenon that the newly formed cable news networks exploited followed by all of the other internet based internet news organizations. Everybody was being played and forced to choose a side or winning team.

Let's take a quick look at the presidential election of 2016.
Penn. went RED
Nevada went BLUE

Which state has a higher tax burden?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

If you want to upgrade inside the loop look for prices inching closer to $2,000 for a one bedroom. Plus we are throwing up midrise apartment buildings at alarming rates right now...those prices demand the highest rents. Much higher than $2,000/ month. Depending on quality...I've seen these at very expensive monthly rates.

On single family homes...it is very difficult to find a townhouse (say 3 bedrooms) inside the loop, in a decent area, for less than $500,000 . There are some available but look at the quality of the ones asking less than $500K and look at the location. They can be found but there are trade-offs.
But these aren't particularly high rents, or home prices, for the most wealthy, prime parts of a metro. The problem is so many Americans expect to live in a giant McMansion in a great area and pay almost nothing.

My brother, who lives in a nice (but not top-tier) Detroit sprawlburb, could probably sell his mini-McMansion for around 550-600k. Detroit isn't exactly an expensive, growing or desirable market. Why would core Houston, center of a rich, booming metro, be cheaper?

I'm sure there are plenty of affordable parts of Houston, but if you want to live in the best neighborhoods, close to work and amenities, you'll have to pay.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 6:42 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
But these aren't particularly high rents, or home prices, for the most wealthy, prime parts of a metro. The problem is so many Americans expect to live in a giant McMansion in a great area and pay almost nothing.

My brother, who lives in a nice (but not top-tier) Detroit sprawlburb, could probably sell his mini-McMansion for around 550-600k. Detroit isn't exactly an expensive, growing or desirable market. Why would core Houston, center of a rich, booming metro, be cheaper?

I'm sure there are plenty of affordable parts of Houston, but if you want to live in the best neighborhoods, close to work and amenities, you'll have to pay.
He's not talking about the most wealthy, prime areas but your average gentrified neighborhood inside the Loop. Areas with little to no historical or sentimental value other than their central location.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

Those were entry level professional prices in transitioning areas. You want to own a really big house, inside the city- close to the cultural areas....look to pay $15-20 million dollars.

Here's an example I found very quickly.

ttps://www.har.com/mapsearch/?map_tools_nwlat=29.72397615053398&map_tools_nwlng=-95.39537129472586&map_tools_selat=29.72088745787426&map_tools_selng=-95.39060127935949&for_sale=1#m94967285

Old Posted Sep 17, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Those were entry level professional prices in transitioning areas. You want to own a really big house, inside the city- close to the cultural areas....look to pay $15-20 million dollars.
Nonsense. You don't have to pay $15-20 million even in the best parts of Manhattan. You don't even have to pay a tenth of that.

And you aren't paying 500k for "entry level" prices in "transitioning areas" basically anywhere outside of maybe Silicon Valley. These aren't ghettos with 500k studios or something.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 9:00 PM

OK - there is definitely a housing slowdown (except for maybe in LIC and C$). Homes on the market are not selling as fast in some markets and are seeing price reductions. Zillow is also showing a slight decline. Is it just a blip or the sign of a larger trend? I put the blame mostly on mortgage rates rising.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions