HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 4:35 PM
Honored Member

I just reviewed all of the Downtown Birmingham photos that are currently in my pbase albums and only saw utility lines in one photo--and that was in an alley which is about the only place you'll find aerial utility wires in the downtown core. More burying of utility lines could take place on Southside, but on the UAB campus and in the primary commerical areas, this has already taken place. Most of the aerial utility wires are seen in the residential areas of Southside, and it's doubtful that Alabama Power would agree to bury their lines in older residential areas.

Do you have some photo examples to show us what you're referring to? I'm just not seeing a major problem when looking at my own personal photo collection.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 6:52 PM
Trendy.

Right. Compared to Nashville, Charlotte, and especially Atlanta, we in Birmingham have nothing.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 7:25 PM

Re: California Fashion Mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystopos

Courtesy of The Magic City Flickr Group, photo by Dystopos.
I looked at this property for possible redevelopment, but, yet again, parking is an issue. We considered placing the parking structure in the basement (the basement is well-fit for it); however, there is no way to get the vehicles into the basement unless the only elevator shaft in the building is converted to a vehicular elevator (which precludes a passenger elevator) because the only access to the building from the alleyway cuts directly into the elevator and stairwell service area. This building wraps around the lofts on the alley. It would not be feasibly cost-effective to place an entrance ramp into 3rd Ave N to get into the building - yet again, another stairwell impedes that action. And all the parking lots in the area are already bought or spoken for...alas, parking is yet another dragon to slay for the City Center...

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 7:32 PM

What's so wrong about the California Fashion Mall?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 7:37 PM
Trendy.

You mean... what WAS wrong with it It closed a few months ago. Our last wig shop also recently closed too.

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTexan
You mean... what WAS wrong with it It closed a few months ago. Our last wig shop also recently closed too.
Well, I'm sorry it closed. I can't see celebrating the close of a business in any event unless it's a public nuisance.

Downtown Birmingham's last wig shop closed? I find that hard to believe. Seriously, I don't even find that cause for celebration if the shop remains vacant.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 7:54 PM
Trendy.

Don't worry - it's being replaced by some yuppiriffic stuff.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Don't worry - it's being replaced by some yuppiriffic stuff.

While I never patronized wig shops except during Mardi Gras , they have a clientele which brings people downtown and in many cases uses public transportation--all of which are supposedly considered good things by folks on this forum.

Great downtowns have the mixture of high-end and low-end--all on the same block frequently--and are more than just yuppie stuff. That's why I loved New Orleans--the sublime and the grit.

Well, you know all this. Just figured I'd give you a hard time since you moved up north and started putting down southern culture such as wig shops. lol

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 8:14 PM
Trendy.

NO! I love wig shops... especially Wanda's Wigs N'Shit in downtown Detroit

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 8:18 PM

Quote:
NO! I love wig shops... especially Wanda's Wigs N'Shit in downtown Detroit
I see. So you left the Ham because it got rid of wig shops? Is that what you're saying? lol

Is that place really called "Wanda's Wigs N'Shit"? Good for them, wish they'd open a branch with the same name in Atlanta's Lenox Mall, or whatever it's called. lol

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 8:36 PM

Who was celebrating?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 8:58 PM

In other news, today I went to work (in the SouthTrust Tower) and in the lobby, Barry Real Estate had set up a big posterboard with a rendering of what the new "Wachovia Tower" lobby will look like. It was much improved, though it will work in with the old lobby. I was talking about it in the elevator, and someone told me that a (drum roll) Starbucks was to be put in the lobby. It's about time downtown had a little chain-eatery love again. The little circular starbucks sign jutting out onto 5th Ave. will be kinda cool, in a "yuppariffic" (Justin!) way. By the way, Justin, have you hit Spot Coffee in BFLO yet?

Chip-- are there ANY takers for the big building on 2nd Ave. N next to MBM? I keep seeing your "For Lease" sign on the building hoping that someone will take a stab.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom31min
Chip-- are there ANY takers for the big building on 2nd Ave. N next to MBM? I keep seeing your "For Lease" sign on the building hoping that someone will take a stab.
No, not yet, but we continue to search. The owner is not willing to sell (however, we have not received a bona-fide offer) and the property remains for lease in an "as-is" condition at $4500 per month for the approximately 40,000 sf building. The owner has indicated a willingness to negotiate services for higher rent (i.e., elevator and HVAC services installed/repaired) and even a willingness to subdivide a portion of the space (the upper 1st floor facing 22nd St S) for a smaller tenant (the square footage would be around 3500), but it is a large space. The owner would even be willing to master lease the entire building and allow the tenant to sublet space in the building if the tenant did the build-out, etc; however, the owner does not intend to sell.

Great building, great rental rate.

New exterior windows (except for the ground floor - too many people love to throw rocks and shoot pistols into 'em) and a pressure wash has occurred and a new roof was put on recently, but the interior does require a lot of work.

Would be a great loft building - just need to find ----- yep, PARKING!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 10:09 PM

I wonder what an accurate count of gunshots in the city center would look like. Stray shells seem to be not entirely uncommon. Apparently the downtown area takes on a bit of wild-west flavor at bar-closing time.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2005, 10:25 PM
Trendy.

Zoom - nope, but I'll have to try it I'll be up there permanently in little over a week. I'm in the Ham tying up all my loose ends. I was in Atlanta yesterday getting my Audi "winterized."

BTW, I've only heard one gunshot in the entire year I've lived here.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 12:13 AM

Justin-- you cannot prepare for the winter in Buffalo. From Halloween until Memorial Day is a non-stop onslaught of mushy, wet crap-- sometimes snow, sometimes sleet, sometimes freezing rain, etc. Get some solid boots, a very good hat/earband, gloves, scarf, etc. Enjoy the fall, though, they are totally awesome.

The fall in B'ham is awesome for another reason-- college football.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 12:16 AM
I concede

Quote:
Wanda's Wigs N'Shit in downtown Detroit

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Sandford
I just reviewed all of the Downtown Birmingham photos that are currently in my pbase albums and only saw utility lines in one photo--and that was in an alley which is about the only place you'll find aerial utility wires in the downtown core. More burying of utility lines could take place on Southside, but on the UAB campus and in the primary commerical areas, this has already taken place. Most of the aerial utility wires are seen in the residential areas of Southside, and it's doubtful that Alabama Power would agree to bury their lines in older residential areas.

Do you have some photo examples to show us what you're referring to? I'm just not seeing a major problem when looking at my own personal photo collection.
I was going through a forum photo thread that was mostly Southside pictures. I can't remember who snapped them, but the thread must have had a hundred photos of Southside/UAB/Highland Park. A couple of the photos were awesome... until you see the dangling lines and rusty transformers. It was gritty as hell.

Perhaps I've become to accustomed to D.C., where the utilities are for the most part buried in all of the neighborhoods.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 2:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euxc
I was going through a forum photo thread that was mostly Southside pictures. I can't remember who snapped them, but the thread must have had a hundred photos of Southside/UAB/Highland Park. A couple of the photos were awesome... until you see the dangling lines and rusty transformers. It was gritty as hell.

Perhaps I've become to accustomed to D.C., where the utilities are for the most part buried in all of the neighborhoods.
Sounds like one of LSyd's threads. He's a big fan of grit and probably included those "dangling lines and rusty transformers" on purpose whereas another photographer might try to avoid photographing that kind of stuff if at all possible.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2005, 5:00 PM

Just saw a new poll out on the Most Liberal Cities in the US. Birmingham came in at #19. Detroit was #1.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast