HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Aquilini Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Vancouver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Construction would pause during the Games and a decorative 3M-made building wrap would hide most of the site.
Does this mean that a large blanket will cover the construction site during the Olympics?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 12:55 AM

^ something like this:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 12:56 AM

Only probably something with the Olympic rings and perhaps proclaiming it's the Best Place on Earth™

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 1:51 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Floor plan reminds me a little like Crystal Mall, where the mall is circular and sourrounds the centre courtyard.

That would've been the best design for the tower. Thanks officedweller!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:22 AM

How about some retail instead of a dead wall at street level. I know this isn't the nicest of areas, but having just a wall won't make improve things

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 11:12 PM

The plans show everything behind that blank wall (Expo Blvd level) as a loading area.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 12:14 AM

OMG. This is actually nice!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:58 AM

cool floor plan and lighting.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:19 PM
blog this

Planned city office tower on hold

Aquilini Investment Group says there's no market for its proposed 23-storey building

Frances Bula
Vancouver Sun

Friday, April 25, 2008

One of two planned office towers for downtown Vancouver is on indefinite hold because the developer says there's no market for it, a troubling sign for the city's commercial future.

David Negrin of Aquilini Investment Group said the company had planned to build a 23-storey tower on land it owns near GM Place. But he said commercial brokers weren't able to find any tenants willing to pay the $40-45 a square foot the company needed to make the project -- which had been planned as a cutting-edge carbon-neutral building designed by well-known architect Peter Busby -- work financially.

Negrin acknowledged that businesses might be willing to pay the higher prices right in the central business district, but not for something on the edge of the peninsula like the GM Place site.

"Once you're outside of that downtown core, people will say, 'If we're paying this much here, we might as well go to the suburbs.'"

The brokers might have been able to find customers willing to pay the $30-32 a square foot that is the going price in suburban locations, said Negrin, but that amount wouldn't even have covered construction costs for the tower. That's in spite of the fact the company already owned the land and wouldn't have had to provide parking, since parking is available around GM Place.

Negrin said the company also offered to build boxes in GM Place that corporate clients could have as part of their lease, but even that wasn't enough of an enticement.

He said the company got only one nibble, a small law firm that indicated some interest but never actually came through.

Negrin said that means if the city wants to create commercial space to ensure that the downtown continues to have space for jobs and not just condos, city planners will have to allow buildings that are a mix of condos and offices. That way, the profit from the condos can help subsidize offices and allow them to be rented at rates that businesses are willing to pay.

"If you had residential, then you could sell the office for $30 to $32 and then you attract the businesses back in from Richmond and Burnaby," said Negrin.

He said construction costs currently are running at almost $300 a square foot.

For the past two years, city planners and others have been debating the whole issue of how the downtown is developing. Critics have said that condos are squeezing out commercial building in the downtown and turning the entire peninsula into a resort where people live and entertain themselves, but don't work. City planners have undertaken a massive study of where people work in the city and imposed a moratorium on condo building in certain parts of the downtown, in an effort to preserve job space for the future.

The downtown hasn't had a new office-only tower built since 2003.

The only other office tower currently being planned is a new Bentall tower on Thurlow Street, although other inquiries have been made at Vancouver city hall.

fbula@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Sun 2008

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 7:29 PM

sad

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:33 PM

What a weird set of circumstances. With the extreme commercial prices in the CBD and lack of vacancies, something has to give.

I'm thinking that 3-4 years out the construction boom will be over, costs may drop significantly for construction. At the same time the DTES will be cleaned up, or simply pushed further east, thereby making the GM Place area a little more attractive for higher commercial rates...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:36 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Perhaps if enough of the developers get together and plead their case to the city, they could convince them to issue transferable bonus in exchange for an uneconomical office tower. A 10:1 ratio should swing the economics, build a 400,000sqft tower and get 40,000sqft of sellable density. Of course the optics are bad, but if the city is so convinced there's a shortage they could make this happen. On a plus side if it works well the abudance of office space built would bring lease rates down and encourage more companies to relocate here. The city I'm sure would love the tax revenue some extra commercial towers would bring.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:42 PM

I'm going to move the discussion going on in the downtown updates thread over here where it belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Leftcoaster,
I'm not sure I share your optimism on the demand side, as you probably know there is hundreds of thousands of sqft of unoccuppied AAA space right in the CBD town asking in the $40range with no takers, most of this vacancy doesn't even show up on the stats as it's sublease.
I would love to see a few new office towers built more then probably anyone else here, I just don't see the economic reasons though. This isn't a case of what came first the chicken or the egg. If we build it that doesn't mean they will come. A new office tower requires signature tenants, I don't see any emerging in Vancouver. We need to find a niche and exploit it. I don't envision us stealing finance from Toronto or oil and gas from Calgary. Forestery and Mining are what we have to exploit, maybe videogames but that's a smaller market, global transportation is another sector we could try and conquer. Maybe oneday we can be a global hqs for the emerging "green" economy.
I do agree that this tower isn't dead at all, once costs come down it will be built as will many others, and yes we will steal some businesses back from the burbs when the prices stablize. New startups will then move into that empty suburb (cheap) space and the cycle will continue.
I think we are essentially agreeing with some subtle differences. I do agree that there is very little demand for $40/sf+ office space in the city, that being said I don’t think those prices will last. What I was trying to say is essentially what you have said in your post; that rents will decrease, the construction fervor will die down and we will begin to see the status quo of mid sized office buildings every few years.

This is short term however, long term is a mixed bag. I hold out hope for Vancouver in the long term for a few reasons. One I hope the exodus of the NDP from provincial politics and the introduction of sound financial policy and a business friendly atmosphere will win back a lot of the business we lost in the early 90s. I also hold some solace in Richard Florida's creative class theory, and I feel that as Vancouver becomes a more recognized city for its beauty, lifestyle and social attitudes that more and more professionals will desire to work here. This could set off a chain reaction pushing Vancouver to a more prominent place in the business world and shrugging off its status as a secondary Canadian centre. Lets not forget after all it was only a few decades ago that Vancouver was the business capital everything west of Toronto until Calgary boomed and we simultaneously shot our selves in the foot with the NDP. I think post oil Vancouver will gain a lot of the support business Calgary pillaged from us in the 80s and 90s back and we can regain our rightful title as the business capital of the west.

All this being said however, there is no saying how long oil will support business in Calgary, and if it has reached critical mass by now, so that when the oil companies stop pushing Calgary it can survive on its own. Vancouver could just continue down a path towards being a resort town with little corporate clout and multitudes of blue and low end white collar jobs. My ultimate fear is that Vancouver ends up like the Cancun of Canada.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 8:59 PM

...heartbroken.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2008, 10:01 PM

That's really too bad. I'm surprised they couldn't find any tenants with such a "shortage". Is it all just manufactured?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 12:20 AM
I worship Led Zeppelin

Mike Gillis obviously has something to do with it!

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 6:09 AM

Just to let anyone know the new proposed height for the tower is 105.6 . There's a revised proposal outside G.M. place.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:20 PM
+

Last edited by Hed Kandi; Oct 4, 2022 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 3:58 PM
testify

100 meters methinks

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 11:51 PM
BANNED

so its back on?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver