HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Jul 28, 2011, 5:49 PM

Definitely interesting, but I wonder how much of a drop-off will occur IF the whitecaps don't get their act in gear over the next 2-3 seasons.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 5:03 PM

Over 26,000 seats sold for tomorrow's game already. Looks like they're opening up the end zone top seats for the game. Less than 1,500 seats left before completely selling out Empire Field.

I'd go, but I don't feel like driving out to Vancouver again this week.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Over 26,000 seats sold for tomorrow's game already. Looks like they're opening up the end zone top seats for the game. Less than 1,500 seats left before completely selling out Empire Field.

I'd go, but I don't feel like driving out to Vancouver again this week.
Not bad considering no Beckham and likley no Donovan as well.....

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:10 PM

I don't think the 'Caps will ever outdraw the Sounders. Looks like Don Garber and Co., made a very wise and smart move by having Seattle as part of MLS. It's done wonders for them. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 'Caps overtake 3rd spot, as we're not that far behind TFC, sometime next year, and probably overtake LA's attendance by the end of the 2011-12 season. The 'Caps should be getting better. #1 overall pick again this draft, and also having the possibility of Aleman coming onboard and playing for us (part of the Dunfield trade - future considerations) - the future is looking bright. Now, only if they turf to grass at BC Place...

Also, on a side note. Two questions. First, is the Waterfront Stadium officially dead? Because there has been no news on that since...well, since forever. And secondly, are the 'Caps going to build a state of the art training facility (much like TFC did?)?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 8:27 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

The waterfront stadium is dead, I'm sure the official stance is that it's still the plan as a soccer specific stadium was part of the expansion deal. I don't expect the Whitecaps to state they are no longer pursuing it, but they aren't.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I don't think the 'Caps will ever outdraw the Sounders. Looks like Don Garber and Co., made a very wise and smart move by having Seattle as part of MLS. It's done wonders for them.
When the Sounders visit next year in BC Place, they should open up the entire stadium, have a large Sounders Supporters section, and aggressively sell the tickets in Seattle. It would be interesting to see if we can sell out for a regular season game, and have a lot of visiting supporters in town.

Also, the match against Salt Lake that was cancelled July 16 has been rescheduled for October 6th in BC Place.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2011...sday-october-6

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 10:02 PM

^ I have tickets and was hoping it would be rescheduled to a date after the move to BC Place, so that's good - though I'm not super pleased with the game being at the same time as the Canucks' home opener against the Pens...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked In View Post
^ I have tickets and was hoping it would be rescheduled to a date after the move to BC Place, so that's good - though I'm not super pleased with the game being at the same time as the Canucks' home opener against the Pens...
I have tickets too. I bought them when they had a $20 off the good seats sale so the price for the seats in BC Place is too good to give up, even with the Canucks Opener (which I totally forgot about, but meh, that's why I bought a PVR). But it should create an amazing, sports fueled environment downtown.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I don't think the 'Caps will ever outdraw the Sounders...
In the 10 years that the 2 teams played together in the NASL, Seattle averaged 18300/game; the Whitecaps averaged 17400/game. The Whitecaps outdrew Seattle by quite a bit in the last 5 years they played together, if that means anything.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 10:26 PM

The Lions and Canucks usually have about 2 days a year where both teams are playing. It's cool, but honestly nothing special...

Old Posted Jul 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
In the 10 years that the 2 teams played together in the NASL, Seattle averaged 18300/game; the Whitecaps averaged 17400/game. The Whitecaps outdrew Seattle by quite a bit in the last 5 years they played together, if that means anything.
I thought about that too, but I'd say that had a lot to do with putting together a cup contender in 78, winning the championship in 79..., and moving into BC Place for the last couple years. If the current Caps were a top team, no doubt the attendance would see a jump. Curious to see how Seattle would do if their team had a record as bad as ours.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2011, 8:01 PM
See ya down under, mates

My parents moved away from Vancouver from 1980 to 1987 and were shocked at how the sports landscape changed during that time. A significant winning or losing streak can change everything quickly.

Personally, I think I'm already falling off the Whitecaps MLS bandwagon. I like the league and can deal with the losing in their first season but the game times are the worst. Sunny, warm weekends are too rare in Vancouver to be sitting in front of a TV.

Last edited by Pinion; Jul 31, 2011 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:29 AM

The Whitecaps finally got their 3rd win, more than halfway into the season and with only 12 matches left. They need 2 pts to be out of last place. The atmosphere I find is starting to turn at the stands and I know many people are not renewing their season's tickets because at this point, it is clear the front office is amateur hour and most of our players are not even at MLS calibre.

Even a 4-2 victory tonight cannot turn my sour mood fr the Whitecaps. Barring a complete change in roster, I don't think I will be wasting my money on season's tickets again.

Last edited by nova9; Aug 8, 2011 at 8:02 AM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:35 AM

hehe, classic Vancouver fans. Especially considering it is their first year in the MLS.

The funny thing is i am far more turned off from the Canucks than I am the Whitecaps. The Canucks gave us so much hope and then gave us some of the worst games, if not the worst games in recent memory in the finals. The retarded riot afterwards did not help either.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
hehe, classic Vancouver fans. Especially considering it is their first year in the MLS.

The funny thing is i am far more turned off from the Canucks than I am the Whitecaps. The Canucks gave us so much hope and then gave us some of the worst games, if not the worst games in recent memory in the finals. The retarded riot afterwards did not help either.
Well, seeing as I am currently a laid off public school teacher anyways, I'm going to keep my $500 or so dollars for other things. But certainly, if they were having anywhere nearer to a successful season, I would have happily paid that much.

As I see now, it is beneath us to be grasping at straws to try not to be the worst team in the league. It's sad and is embarrassing to our city. (my allegiances are always for the city and not the team anyway)

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:15 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
Well, seeing as I am currently a laid off public school teacher anyways, I'm going to keep my $500 or so dollars for other things. But certainly, if they were having anywhere nearer to a successful season, I would have happily paid that much.

As I see now, it is beneath us to be grasping at straws to try not to be the worst team in the league. It's sad and is embarrassing to our city. (my allegiances are always for the city and not the team anyway)
It is too bad you feel that way, and of course you are entitled to your opinion.

That said , I would say the front office is anything but “amateur hour.” In fact I would say that is the exact opposite. They have a core group of really fantastic players, The have a lot of young talent in the pipe and they will be able to start filling in the gaps in the roster over the next couple of years. I was at the game yesterday and I can say the mood was anything but sour. I think the ownership and executive showed a lot of restraint by not blowing the bank on a bunch of veteran , twilight age players that would help them win now , but provided no foundation for the future. I think it is safe to say that we will not be in TFC’s position in year five, which to me would be much more disappointing.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:18 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova9 View Post
The Whitecaps finally got their 3rd win, more than halfway into the season and with only 12 matches left. They need 2 pts to be out of last place. The atmosphere I find is starting to turn at the stands and I know many people are not renewing their season's tickets because at this point, it is clear the front office is amateur hour and most of our players are not even at MLS calibre.

Even a 4-2 victory tonight cannot turn my sour mood fr the Whitecaps. Barring a complete change in roster, I don't think I will be wasting my money on season's tickets again.
hater. I'm loving every moment of it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 4:40 PM
scared of rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
hater. I'm loving every moment of it.
yeah, that's what I meant to say.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:33 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

I can agree with Nova9, it certainly is discouraging. Much more so because of Empire being a hassle to get to and then get out of. If we were winning the hassle would seem worth it. I think we'll need to wait another season to see how things play out at their real home.
Put me in the camp of those that think front office needs a major shakeup, I've voiced my dissapproval of Bobby L several times so I won't get into it again. That said I'm still renewing my tickets for next year, but I do expect to see change.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2011, 5:43 PM

Still waiting for all those predictions about the Whitecaps overtaking the Lions to come true...

Just imagine if the Lions were 5-1 instead of 1-5.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation