HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:17 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooson View Post
Hold the phone a minute here, it was you who asked me to "shit or get off the pot" as all can see a few posts up the page. Now, after having done so (at your request), and proved that you were wrong, you get resentful. Well that's just to bad. Thing is, I was/am factually correct in what I have stated... and that's all that should matter. Or are these forums just some exercise in PC? You continue to ask me more about Quebec separatism, then in the very next paragraph, you warn me to get off the topic? Really, what is it with you? Can't handle the truth? I gave you a book reference that supports what I have said... and goes a lot further, plus it debunks a major (but popular) myth. Don't take my word for it... read the dammed book!

Obviously, you didn't live through the same tumultuous times in Canadian history that I did. I think it is you who should be paying more respect to those of us with actual personal knowledge of those times because we lived through them. Can you make the same claim?
You did not connect the original subject of the thread with your tangent. That was what I was asking. Equalisation payments have nothing to do withMontreal falling behind Toronto. Equalisation payments have nothing to do with the rise of Quebecois nationalism. Trucking out equalisation payments is an hors d'ouvre that a lot of people take comfort in when they browbeat someone. It has little to do with the issue of why there is a yawning crack in the bread and can only explain why there is small tendrils holding it together. You're not putting the bread together by hammering about the existence of those tendrils and you're not bothering to make a sandwich out of it either. You're sticking with your pet tendrils as if they mean anything.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:31 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
You did not connect the original subject of the thread with your tangent. That was what I was asking. Equalisation payments have nothing to do withMontreal falling behind Toronto. Equalisation payments have nothing to do with the rise of Quebecois nationalism. Trucking out equalisation payments is an hors d'ouvre that a lot of people take comfort in when they browbeat someone. It has little to do with the issue of why there is a yawning crack in the bread and can only explain why there is small tendrils holding it together. You're not putting the bread together by hammering about the existence of those tendrils and you're not bothering to make a sandwich out of it either. You're sticking with your pet tendrils as if they mean anything.
Lets get one fact straight (2nd time now)... I'm not the one who first mentioned the issue of "equalization" in this thread ... Acajack gets the credit for that on post #500. I agree that equalization is tangential to the topic of the thread. But it isn't fair to single me out for talking about something that is essentially off-topic.

Equalization was one consideration that (by both separatists and federalists) figured into the discussion of Quebec's future in Confederation.... that had very little to do with the relative assent of Toronto over Montreal (I never suggested otherwise)... but the political instability caused by the question of Quebec's future did. Obviously, Quebec receiving equalization didn't harm Montreal's influence.

And you weren't asking me what you are now claiming... go back and read your own post! You were asking me to connect equalization and separatism... not equalization as it pertains to Montreal's vs. Toronto's influence.

Last edited by Waterlooson; Dec 23, 2011 at 8:42 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Lets get one fact straight (2nd time now)... I'm not the one who first mentioned the issue of "equalization" in this thread ... Acajack gets the credit for that on post #500. I agree that equalization is tangential to the topic of the thread. But it isn't fair to single me out for talking about something that is essentially off-topic.

Post 493 was where it was first raised:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I'm not sure where they stand now, but for a number of years Quebec was a |have not || province,(At least on paper) and took more in than they contributed. Seperation would result in saying bye bye to their expensive social programs me thinks .I know a single mother who moved from the Ontario side to the Gatineau side just to take advantage of some of these programs.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:41 PM
mañana is my busiest day

^^ He didn't mention "equalization"....

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 8:27 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
^^ He didn't mention "equalization"....
Have and have-not provinces, come on man.

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.

(I am sure guys like you appreciate references to Shakespeare!)

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 8:39 PM
mañana is my busiest day

Okay, it's all his fault.... Man up!

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yes, I'm sure the $100B economy of the Atlantic region would grind to a halt immediately without that $3B annual gravy train.
Electoral prospects would grind to a halt immediately without the $3B annual gravy train.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 4:55 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Some years ago there was a fed allotment to wipe away the Frenchie section here, it was just too weird to have for a clean cut Midwestern city image. This country really hadn't torn down that much before, and someone was really proud. After the war a stainless steel monolith was built in the vacuum to last 1000 years where the village and stone wall was. Someone was really satisfied with that, too. There's a museum underground with stuffed animals. Its all properly hygenic.

We still pull down buildings here, it's like a sport. Nobody really notices.

Last edited by Centropolis; Dec 24, 2011 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 7:15 AM

This thread started as an interesting one but keeps getting hijacked.
If you guys can't stay on topic , the thread should be closed.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 7:18 AM

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 7:19 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Hasnt been about Toronto and Montreal for many pages now...

Old Posted Dec 24, 2011, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
This thread started as an interesting one but keeps getting hijacked.
If you guys can't stay on topic , the thread should be closed.
Here I am with the box cutters.

Too soon?

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada