HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation

Old Posted Mar 13, 2009, 9:11 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodii View Post
Wow, the topic must be very important to you

They'd probably stick with Abbotsford Flames (considering Quad City Flames), but it'd be nice to change it up maybe to hide the fact that they are actually Calgary Flames affiliated
i think i heard something from a friend who works in the Flames office about them potentially being named the Fraser Valley Flames if they do move to Abbotsford.

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Calgary Flames file application to move AHL farm team to Abbotsford

By Ian Walker, Vancouver Sun March 17, 2009 1:02 PM

ABBOTSFORD — An official application to relocate the Calgary Flames' American Hockey League affiliate to Abbotsford was filed Tuesday.

The application is the next step in bringing the AHL to the city and its new 7,000 seat arena. If approved by the AHL board of governors, the team would start playing in the Fraser Valley city next fall.

On hand to sign a partnership agreement was local ownership group front man Lane Sweeting and Flames president Ken King.

While delighted the two parties are at this juncture, both men cautioned hockey fans that the biggest hurdle is yet to come. Three-quarters of the AHL's governors must agree to move the team from Quad Cities in Illinois, meaning as few as eight no votes would prevent it from taking place..

This would be the AHL's first foray to the West Coast.

"It's going to be a real challenge, for sure," said King. "This is a move very far afield into the west. It's a bold move. It's going to be a very tight vote. We'll need to convince them that this is the right move."

A decision will not be made for at least 10 days in order to give the Flames time to convince other AHL team owners.

iwalker@vancouversun.com
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: The Vancouver Sun -- http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/C...784/story.html

Old Posted Mar 17, 2009, 8:46 PM

If they were the Abbotsford Flames, all they have to do is revive the old Atlanta Flames logo and modernize it.

Abbotsford is its own city, there is no need for the affiliation with Vancouver and the Canucks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 7:57 AM

I don't know about you guys, but I think if the team is moved to Abbotsford, when the Manitoba come to town to play them I think there will be a LOT of Moose fans in the crowd. Should be pretty interesting, might be like a home game for Manitoba.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 8:27 AM
Yellow Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
If they were the Abbotsford Flames, all they have to do is revive the old Atlanta Flames logo and modernize it.
Agreed, I always like the Alanta Flames logo.

Quote:"I don't know about you guys, but I think if the team is moved to Abbotsford, when the Manitoba come to town to play them I think there will be a LOT of Moose fans in the crowd. Should be pretty interesting, might be like a home game for Manitoba."

GO FLAMES GO!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 2:58 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

what i don't get, and the question i've been asking is why didn't the Canucks consider this move with the Moose?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 3:06 PM
Site 8 Lives

^Because in Winnipeg they get to be the big fish in an NHL-calibre market. It's hard to find another city in North America that supports a farm team like the Peg does for its Moose.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2009, 3:07 PM

The Manitoba Moose are doing very well in Winnipeg.

The Quad City Flames lost $1.3 million dollars last year.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2009, 4:41 AM

Quote:
AHL vote April 28

By Joe Millican - Abbotsford News

Published: April 15, 2009 4:00 PM
Updated: April 15, 2009 4:40 PM

Abbotsford’s American Hockey League (AHL) fate will be decided on April 28.

The AHL has set that date for a vote of its board of governors, which will determine whether Abbotsford will have an AHL team for the 2009-2010 season.

A local ownership group has already signed a 10-year affiliation agreement with the Calgary Flames, of the National Hockey League (NHL), to shift their farm team to Abbotsford this year.

It is that deal which needs league approval. At least 22 of the league’s 29 board of governors need to say yes.

The vote will be staged in Chicago, said ownership group spokesman Lane Sweeting, with the group making a presentation to the board immediately beforehand.

Expecting a tight vote, Sweeting said he is still optimistic Abbotsford’s application will receive the backing it needs.

Between now and then, he said the Abbotsford group is contacting board members and explaining the business plan – which the board now has in its possession.

“We are optimistic they are looking at it as an opportunity for a western team,” said Sweeting.

“We think it’s a solid business plan for the league and we are hoping politics won’t play too great of a part.”

The “big issue” facing the board is the travel costs, according to Sweeting, who hopes that with the ownership group agreeing to pay all of those fees, there will be no more significant obstacles.

Some teams which bus will even pay less for travel, he said, because the ownership group has agreed to pay all of the costs. Under Abbotsford’s business plan, teams would be subsidized to fly to the Lower Mainland by plane.

“This might reduce travel costs for some, and certainly won’t increase them for anybody,” Sweeting said.

In terms of a team name, if the vote is approved, Sweeting said the ownership group will almost immediately release a shortlist of up to five suggestions and public input would then be sought. Team names can still be pitched at www.fraservalleyahl.com.
Source: The Abbotsford News -- http://www.bclocalnews.com/fraser_va.../43069297.html

Any other ideas for the team name?

I suggested the Jets

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:01 PM

Quote:
AHL approves Flames affiliate in Abbotsford

By Chuck Chiang, Canwest News Service - April 28, 2009 11:02 AM

The new Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Complex is covered with construction crews as they prepare the arena for it's scheduled opening next month.
Photograph by: Vancouver Sun files, .

CALGARY — The American Hockey League has approved the move of Calgary Flames' minor league affiliate to Abbotsford, officials said Tuesday.

Abbotsford Mayor George W. Peary said in a release that the AHL board of governors have approved the franchise, which will start play next season. The team has yet to be named.

"We are excited to have the AHL coming to Abbotsford," said Peary. "The Calgary Flames AHL affiliate team will bring a new brand of hockey to the knowledgeable fans in our City, in the Fraser Valley and across the Lower Mainland."

Calgary's AHL affiliate played in Quad Cities, Ill., last year. Poor attendance — the team ranked 28th out of 29 teams in the AHL — sealed the team's fate in Illinois, where the Flames released the local ownership group from the last three years of the affiliate agreement last month.

More to come on this story …
© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun
Source: Vancouver Sun

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:06 PM

I have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand, I think it's great that Abbotsford gets an AHL franchise - being able to see the young Flames prospects. On the other hand, this is BC, and I wonder if the Canucks have territorial rights (kind of like what Toronto has with the Leafs). It's a lot of hockey in the province right now. Chilliwack has a team, Abbotsford has a team, there are the Giants in Vancouver, the Canucks. Wow. that's a ton of hockey. For hockey fans, this is good ^^

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 7:44 PM

They should rename them from the Flames. What would be a good Abbostford name

It is great to have another "pro" hockey team in the area. Their road trips will be HELL, though.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:14 PM

They should name the Abbotsford franchise the Abbotsford Pilots I remember going to the air shows out in Abby when I was a kid. I think they still have them, do they?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
I have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand, I think it's great that Abbotsford gets an AHL franchise - being able to see the young Flames prospects. On the other hand, this is BC, and I wonder if the Canucks have territorial rights (kind of like what Toronto has with the Leafs). It's a lot of hockey in the province right now. Chilliwack has a team, Abbotsford has a team, there are the Giants in Vancouver, the Canucks. Wow. that's a ton of hockey. For hockey fans, this is good ^^
The Canucks only have territorial rights for NHL TEAMS moving within a certain distance within GM Place. Minor league or Semi-pro teams are not covered.

If anything, down the road the Flames and Canucks should switch minor league affiliates with the Flames getting Winnipeg and the Canucks getting Abbotsford.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:34 PM

What if the new team name should reflect the Bible Belt side of the city.

Abbotsford Lambs
Abbotsford Preachers

or for some flair with the Pilots theme...

Abbotsford FC (Flying Christ)

I still like the Abbotsford Flames with the modernized Atlanta Flames logo idea the best.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 8:38 PM
HVAC guru

The Abbotsford Cow Shits

oh wait, that's Chilliwack

Old Posted Apr 28, 2009, 11:07 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
purely coincidence I'm sure, but I just noticed that with this region, as you come in from the east and go west, the leagues go up one notch. Chillwack - WHL, Abbotsford - AHL, and Vancouver - NHL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity
They should name the Abbotsford franchise the Abbotsford Pilots I remember going to the air shows out in Abby when I was a kid. I think they still have them, do they?
friend of mine in the Calgary Flames head office a while back was saying the team may be known as the Fraser Valley Flames. Though, if it is the Abbotsford Flames, they could at least revive the Atlanta Flames logo.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:01 AM

HOORAY!!

The Abbotsford Pilots already exist (BC Junior Hockey).

I think the Abbotsford Jets would be a good name, but I do not know how that would work with copying the Winnipeg name

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 5:42 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2009, 6:18 PM

Do AHL teams get to fly or do they have to bus it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Sports & Outdoor Recreation