HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 11:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Ultimately, whether it's 1424 or 1550 feet in height, we're still getting a very tall tower. That being said, if we are spending energy hoping for one outcome or another, I think we should all be wishing for a tower of the caliber of 111w 57th, and not what we have seen in renderings for 225w 57th...
Think about how tall 432 Park is, and know that this will be slightly taller. Either way, anytime a 400m+ becomes a reality, I'm super happy. 111w 57th is probally the best design being proposed in the whole city, next to 99 Church St. and Hudson Yards North Tower IMO.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 12:21 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Ultimately, whether it's 1424 or 1550 feet in height, we're still getting a very tall tower. That being said, if we are spending energy hoping for one outcome or another, I think we should all be wishing for a tower of the caliber of 111w 57th, and not what we have seen in renderings for 225w 57th...
While I love 111 I hope this will be a little more imposing and less skinny up top which I think it will be. Nothing wrong with skinny buildings but we need some variety

Old Posted Apr 7, 2014, 3:52 PM
New Yorker for life

April 6, 2014

Edge of the abyss.....

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 12:29 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/20...-new-york-city

The construction site of the new Extell tower, on 57th Street between Broadway and Seventh Avenue.
The building will be cantilevered over its neighbor, the Art Students League, built in 1892, at right.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Apr 9, 2014 at 1:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2014, 11:49 PM
dazzle me

man, those site placements are just phoned in.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 12:30 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
man, those site placements are just phoned in.
Not really. The only one out of place is 220 CPS. It wouldn't be visible from that angle, so they just put in in a place where it would.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:07 AM

Now we just need one in between Steinway and 432 park.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Not really. The only one out of place is 220 CPS. It wouldn't be visible from that angle, so they just put in in a place where it would.
Steinway is also out of place. It should be moved to the north, into the center of the block. They have the tower where the glass atrium will be built.

The small retail extension of 432 Park is out of place. It should be on the corner of Park and 56th.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King DenCity View Post
Now we just need one in between Steinway and 432 park.
There are like a half-dozen possibilities between those two sites, so I don't don't doubt we'll get at least one supertall located between those two towers.

57th between 5th and 6th, especially is key, with multiple assemblages.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 7:02 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
Steinway is also out of place. It should be moved to the north, into the center of the block. They have the tower where the glass atrium will be built.

The small retail extension of 432 Park is out of place. It should be on the corner of Park and 56th.
Steinway isn't out of place at all. It isn't going to be in the center of the bock.

As far as 432 Park goes, your problem is with the render, not location. But in case it isn't obvious from 520, those drawings aren't meant to be 100%.

But I agree with Crawford. A height of 1,397 ft would be great for that tower. It was exciting enough when it jumped up to a potential 900 footer, and has only gone up since then. But will Barnett feel any heat from it? Don't know.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 1:08 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Steinway isn't out of place at all. It isn't going to be in the center of the bock.
I think the point was that the diagram shows the tower actually on 57th st, when in reality the tower will be mid-block (in the courtyard) with only the glass atrium on 57th.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2014, 8:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gttx View Post
I think the point was that the diagram shows the tower actually on 57th st, when in reality the tower will be mid-block (in the courtyard) with only the glass atrium on 57th.
Well, that would be a ridiculous point to make. It's not a life-scaled depiction of the towers, it's a marker to show where the towers are, and that's the location that it's in. It wouldn't change a bit if it was pushed back a little from the street.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:45 AM
Urban Explorer

It would have been cool if they ghosted all the other nearby buildings in, so you could get a sense of the scale. Right now they don't look absurdly tall.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:56 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
But I agree with Crawford. A height of 1,397 ft would be great for that tower. It was exciting enough when it jumped up to a potential 900 footer, and has only gone up since then. But will Barnett feel any heat from it? Don't know.
I remember Barnett originally was so adamant about building a 1500+ building to the roof and without "spires or crowns" as he said himself. Did he just stop caring?

Hopefully 225 won't end up any shorter which I doubt it will, and while it would be taller than Steinway at about ~1430 feet it would be hardly noticeable. 1500' isn't really a whole lot taller than 1397' either but at least it's a visible difference.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:

As far as 432 Park goes, your problem is with the render, not location.

My, my. Someone can't accept correction. As I stated, Steinway tower is in the center of the block:

As far as 432 Park is concerned, “problem is with the render, not location”? What do you think we’re talking about? The small retail component on the corner of 56th and Park is way out of place in the render.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 1:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSky View Post
My, my. Someone can't accept correction. As I stated, Steinway tower is in the center of the block:

I know what you said, and my point is it's ridiculous. If you look at that map, and what you get from it is that the Steinway tower isn't in the "middle" of the site it will rise above, then you've got more problems than the render. It should be readily apparent to you that it isn't an exact scale mockup. Or did you think all of the towers would really be blue as well? The map is a marker, nothing more. And an excellent one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I remember Barnett originally was so adamant about building a 1500+ building to the roof and without "spires or crowns" as he said himself. Did he just stop caring?
Barnett has always said it's more about the design than the height. If for whatever reason he thinks it works better at the lower height, he'll go with that.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:36 AM

Quote:
I know what you said, and my point is it's ridiculous. If you look at that map, and what you get from it is that the Steinway tower isn't in the "middle" of the site it will rise above, then you've got more problems than the render. It should be readily apparent to you that it isn't an exact scale mockup. Or did you think all of the towers would really be blue as well? The map is a marker, nothing more. And an excellent one.

Barnett has always said it's more about the design than the height. If for whatever reason he thinks it works better at the lower height, he'll go with that.
Wait, is the current design for this tower the final one or not?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:52 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
I don't believe so.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 5:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy87 View Post
Until you hear otherwise, go with the tower of 1,400 + feet. If it goes above 1,500 ft, be pleasantly surprised.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 6:09 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Until you hear otherwise, go with the tower of 1,400 + feet. If it goes above 1,500 ft, be pleasantly surprised.
As you said yourself he was going to add some extra square feet to the penthouse though right?

I guess we're splitting hairs but I personally would like something to at least break Sears Tower and end up in the higher 1400's. Seriously it's been the highest roof for 40 years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive