HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 3:54 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I agree, I don't find it that sprawling at all really.
Yup, when I think sprawling airport, YHZ is definitely not what comes to mind. Obviously the footprint of the departures area is not exactly inspired, but pretty darn typical of airports that size or even a bit bigger (like MacDonald-Cartier). I remember being shocked the 1st time I contacted through Detroit at how they layed the entire airport out in nothing but one huge long straight line to the point that they needed a train inside of the terminal to get people from one end to the other. Now THAT is sprawling terminal design.

PS: Loving that new direct to Paris that WestJet added. Great departure times on either end, and insanely low price (depending on when you go it is in the $400s all taxes and fees in). Cheaper than flying to Montreal.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I agree, I don't find it that sprawling at all really.
You haven't lived until you arrive from the US at 1AM in the middle of winter and get the Enfield gates, are forced to take the air stairs out onto the tarmac, search for your bags in the subzero/blowing snow outside, then lug them for what seems like a mile to Customs. Utterly ridiculous.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
You haven't lived until you arrive from the US at 1AM in the middle of winter and get the Enfield gates, are forced to take the air stairs out onto the tarmac, search for your bags in the subzero/blowing snow outside, then lug them for what seems like a mile to Customs. Utterly ridiculous.
I think that's more a function of upgrades needed in that part of the airport as it seems to be in the same configuration as the 1960s.

Was on a smaller flight so had to check my carryon. Arrived at the gate in pouring rain... rain jacket in carryon... got wet because we had to walk over the tarmac to get to the building. Not a big deal, just inconvenient.

Still much more walking in bigger airports like Toronto. Try taking a regional to Columbus sometime - now there's a lot of walking, to get to the far reaches of the older section of the airport.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Construction on Air Terminal Building & Security Infrastructure Upgrades Underway at Halifax Stanfield

POSTED ON MARCH 14, 2018

Work is underway to upgrade and expand passenger screening, domestic gate area and exterior curb security infrastructure at Halifax Stanfield. These improvements will increase capacity in pre-board screening, provide additional seating and centralized concession space, and provide additional levels of protection to the terminal and the property.

“This is an exciting time at Halifax Stanfield with lots of growth happening at our airport. These renovations will allow us to modernize and expand to meet the growing needs of our passengers and community,” says Joyce Carter, Halifax International Airport Authority (HIAA) President & CEO. “While we go through this period of construction, we want to minimize the impact to the passenger and visitor experience as much as possible and keep our community engaged on the upcoming changes.”

As a general overview, passenger and visitors of the airport will notice:

Hoarding walls beside pre-board screening along the lower observation deck and through the Ale House.
The hoarding wall inside the pre-board screening awrea will make the space slightly smaller, however, the amount of stations screening passengers will not be affected and the impact on passenger flow will be minimal.
The Ale House will be rearranged, with seating pushed out into the centre court to ensure service is maintained.
The upper observation deck will be closed starting March 20 and will open in early 2019.
For other unrelated projects, hoarding walls are in place in the Domestic Holdroom. Any gates affected will be done in stages and will have no impact on flight operations.
Security upgrades will be made along the curb of the upper road, at tunnel entrances and an access point at the parkade in phases. It will require rerouting of pedestrian traffic, alter access to the parkade, as well as reduced space for passenger pick-up and drop-off.
“We appreciate the patience and understanding of travellers during this time, as we continue to develop Halifax Stanfield – one of Atlantic Canada’s most critical pieces of transportation infrastructure,” Joyce Carter further commented.

For more information visit HalifaxStanfield.ca/development. Construction is scheduled to be complete in Spring 2019.
https://halifaxstanfield.ca/2018/03/...ture-upgrades/

View from outside – Gate 20

2nd Floor Domestic Holdroom

Pre-board Screening

https://halifaxstanfield.ca/development/

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 8:28 PM

Looks like some long overdue updates to neglected areas. After this, I think it's just the baggage claim area that will look like a holdover from the 70s/80s.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 9:52 PM

Still nothing for the long-neglected Enfield gates. Shameful.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Looks like some long overdue updates to neglected areas. After this, I think it's just the baggage claim area that will look like a holdover from the 70s/80s.
I thought it got upgraded a few years ago. It looks nothing like when I was a kid. Photo of the "arrivals hall" here: Wikipedia

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Still nothing for the long-neglected Enfield gates. Shameful.
None of these areas are neglected.

The baggage carousels were renovated in the early 2000's I believe and the ceiling area is limited by the U.S. Departure counters above. They recently renovated the arrivals escalator area that goes into the greeting area/baggage.

Image sources: http://www.nycum.com/work/domestic-a...r-replacement/

U.S./International Departures also was renovated.

Image sources:
http://www.nycum.com/work/internatio...nger-terminal/

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:12 PM

I wish there was some kind of map. I don't understand exactly where this work is, nor the extent of it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I thought it got upgraded a few years ago. It looks nothing like when I was a kid. Photo of the "arrivals hall" here: Wikipedia
They renovated the escalators and added a new glass wall and exit, and replaced the tiles to match the renovations to the rest of the departure area, but not much beyond that.

Unfortunately, as noted, not much can be done about the ceiling height in its current location due to the US departures area, so it'll always feel cave-like, but they could still brighten it up a bit, do something with the tired (and often broken) bridge models, maybe add some one-way doors to keep people from wandering into the baggage claim etc.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:20 PM

None of the many hundreds of millions they have spent on this place has changed my opinion of it much. It looks prettier and shinier, and some areas are bigger, but the basic layout and original 1960 low-ceiling Dept of Transport design remains at its core. To me it remains a crappy, poorly designed airport regardless of how many awards they buy win. It really needs a clean-sheet demo and rebuild for a good chunk of it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I wish there was some kind of map. I don't understand exactly where this work is, nor the extent of it.
This is my very possibly incorrect interpretation of it:

Addition not to scale (not quite so deep).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:02 PM

^That looks basically correct.

It should be replacing the entire middle portion of the terminal that is the only major remaining part of the original terminal design.

Also the 2nd floor domestic level becomes two stories high.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
It should be replacing the entire middle portion of the terminal that is the only major remaining part of the original terminal design.
Not all part of the ‘original’ terminal design…but an infill constructed in the mid ‘70s between the terminal building and apron. It covered the outdoor patio-garden and observation decks on each side above the walkways to the ‘gates’ (aerial in link below)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=312

The TCA Vanguard on the left is roughly where Gate 18 is today…and the Viscount is roughly at Gate 20.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=310

In the middle picture below there were no hold rooms at the gates. You waited in the central waiting room. When your flight was called….you went to the doors on either side under the mezzanine , showed your boarding pass and just walk out to your plane. No security!

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=309

Old Posted Mar 25, 2018, 11:16 PM

Does anyone know what the plans are for the Maple Leaf Lounge with this project?

It's directly above Gate 20, where the red "Halifax" sign is, so I presume that the entire structure it's in will have to be dismantled.

This is hopefully good news, as the YHZ Maple Leaf Lounge is looking quite dated compared to AC's newer products, which they've been investing heavily in. A refresh and re-design would be long overdue.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 3:28 PM

Air Canada AC664/AC669 between Halifax and Montreal starting June 1st will be an Airbus A330-300 daily. It has almost 300 seats. This is to help take cargo (seafood).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2018, 5:48 PM
Halifax Promoter!

The detour on the reconstruction on the inbound ramp to the 102 at the airport is not really well marked/illuminated. We were returning from a trip on Sunday, April 1st and didn't even see the detour! It makes you take the next exit towards Halifax, driving down the roads inside the airport grounds.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2018, 1:32 AM

New Route

Flair To Announce Halfiax Expansion

Starting June 15th, Flair Airlines will begin daily service into Halifax from Toronto and one-stop service to Edmonton.

ROUTE: Edmonton - Toronto - Halifax
FREQUENCY: Daily
AIRCRAFT: Likely the Boeing 737-400
START DATE: June 15, 2018

ARRIVAL: 16:50
DEPART: 17:35

Old Posted Jun 7, 2018, 10:54 PM

Halifax Stanfield current route map:

https://twitter.com/HfxPartnership/s...03136038137857

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 3:39 AM

In addition to the ongoing development at the Halifax Airport, concrete posts have been put up near the entrance, current glass walls will be replaced with shatter proof glass and more security cameras will be added.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...eras-1.4720122

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure