HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #61  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:20 PM
Tarsus's Avatar
Tarsus Tarsus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,062
I agree, the NDP has come across like a bunch of inexperienced idiots, but I voted for them because the PC and Wildrose come across the same way.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #62  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:43 PM
Strongbow's Avatar
Strongbow Strongbow is offline
Develop This!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I voted for them.
...you're the first person I've run across to admit this...I salute you, not for your choice, but for your honesty...
__________________
Harmony begins with YOU!! This forum has achieved 0 days without a suburban vs. urban debate. Keep up the good work everyone!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #63  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:47 PM
Tarsus's Avatar
Tarsus Tarsus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,062
I wish I could have a do-over.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #64  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 1:07 AM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I wish I could have a do-over.
A little over 2 more years and you do essentially get a do-over. Beauty of a democracy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #65  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 1:29 AM
Tobyoby's Avatar
Tobyoby Tobyoby is offline
That's what she said
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stampitectureville
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I agree, the NDP has come across like a bunch of inexperienced idiots, but I voted for them because the PC and Wildrose come across the same way.
I voted for them too, mostly as a protest vote against the PCs. We're all screwed. In a couple of years we can get rid of the NDP, an experiment that has been a disaster, but Jason Kenney or Brian Jean?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #66  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 1:29 AM
Tobyoby's Avatar
Tobyoby Tobyoby is offline
That's what she said
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Stampitectureville
Posts: 1,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
A little over 2 more years and you do essentially get a do-over. Beauty of a democracy.
When is the next election?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #67  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:26 AM
Rollerstud98 Rollerstud98 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 914
May 31 2019 at the latest so long as democracy is followed. Could be called earlier.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #68  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:32 AM
PPAR's Avatar
PPAR PPAR is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 539
I keep hearing what a disaster the NDP is, but honestly to me, they seem to me to have done a decent job. Nothing scandalous, no really offensive policies. Looking like pipes are going to go ahead and environmental policies are local rather than dictated by the Feds (see Saskatchewan). Apart from their inability to increase the global oil price, I don't see much evidence of a fail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #69  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:56 AM
artvandelay's Avatar
artvandelay artvandelay is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The City of Cows
Posts: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
I keep hearing what a disaster the NDP is, but honestly to me, they seem to me to have done a decent job. Nothing scandalous, no really offensive policies. Looking like pipes are going to go ahead and environmental policies are local rather than dictated by the Feds (see Saskatchewan). Apart from their inability to increase the global oil price, I don't see much evidence of a fail.
You obviously haven't been paying attention to their idiotic interference in what was a well functioning electricity generation and transmission market in the province.

Not to mention the royalty review that changed nothing but resulted in an entire year's worth of capital expense evaporating from from the province.

Oh, and jacking corporate tax rates by 20% in the midst of a recession to drive even more investment away from the province.

It's terrible, but not surprising to anyone who actually read the NDP platform document before the election. You can't expect brilliance from people who's financial education might amount to having read Corporate Finance For Dummies, but I would have hoped the NDP would have moderated some positions in the hope of winning a second term.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #70  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:05 AM
suburbia suburbia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
I keep hearing what a disaster the NDP is, but honestly to me, they seem to me to have done a decent job. Nothing scandalous, no really offensive policies. Looking like pipes are going to go ahead and environmental policies are local rather than dictated by the Feds (see Saskatchewan). Apart from their inability to increase the global oil price, I don't see much evidence of a fail.
Especially after the disaster the prior provincial and federal governments were - got nothing done for Alberta.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #71  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:11 AM
craner's Avatar
craner craner is offline
Go Tall or Go Home
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
You obviously haven't been paying attention to their idiotic interference in what was a well functioning electricity generation and transmission market in the province.

Not to mention the royalty review that changed nothing but resulted in an entire year's worth of capital expense evaporating from from the province.

Oh, and jacking corporate tax rates by 20% in the midst of a recession to drive even more investment away from the province.

It's terrible, but not surprising to anyone who actually read the NDP platform document before the election. You can't expect brilliance from people who's financial education might amount to having read Corporate Finance For Dummies, but I would have hoped the NDP would have moderated some positions in the hope of winning a second term.
^Exactly.
And don't forget the carbon tax about to come into effect.

If you like more money coming out of your pocket going to the Provincial Government then the NDP has been a tremendous success.

The next election can't come soon enough.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #72  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 7:21 AM
*Stardust* *Stardust* is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,062
Yikes, didn't realize there was so much anti ndp sentiment here on the calgary boards. I think they are doing a decent job. Rachel Notley is probably the best premier we have had since Peter Lougheed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #73  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 3:03 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,275
[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #74  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:12 PM
jc_yyc_ca jc_yyc_ca is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
I keep hearing what a disaster the NDP is, but honestly to me, they seem to me to have done a decent job. Nothing scandalous, no really offensive policies. Looking like pipes are going to go ahead and environmental policies are local rather than dictated by the Feds (see Saskatchewan). Apart from their inability to increase the global oil price, I don't see much evidence of a fail.
They're timing is all wrong. They are sticking heavily to their ideology and paying attention to what's happening out there. Not surprising since most of their members are from the inexperienced Twitter/Facebook crowd. Their mentality is bureaucratic all the way through, wanting to spend money to diversify the economy. Sounds good on paper, but in the end it will only be spent money gone nowhere except to a bunch of bureaucrats in Edmonton.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #75  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:15 PM
jc_yyc_ca jc_yyc_ca is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Yikes, didn't realize there was so much anti ndp sentiment here on the calgary boards. I think they are doing a decent job. Rachel Notley is probably the best premier we have had since Peter Lougheed.
Notley herself hasn't been bad, but like I say the party as a whole is wrong for Alberta right now. They won't last through next election, I know lots of people who voted NDP and can't wait to vote them out. They're on borrowed time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #76  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:56 PM
The Fisher Account's Avatar
The Fisher Account The Fisher Account is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bridgeland - Calgary, AB
Posts: 1,011
It'll never be a good time to do the right thing. Wasn't the biggest NDP fan, but props to them for sticking to their guns given the shitty cards they were dealt by factors far outside their control
__________________
Follow me on Twitter - @Fisher_Account for Calgary construction and development updates
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #77  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 5:04 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
It'll never be a good time to do the right thing. Wasn't the biggest NDP fan, but props to them for sticking to their guns given the shitty cards they were dealt by factors far outside their control
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #78  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:02 PM
Just Build It's Avatar
Just Build It Just Build It is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
It'll never be a good time to do the right thing. Wasn't the biggest NDP fan, but props to them for sticking to their guns given the shitty cards they were dealt by factors far outside their control
Sticking to their guns is why I won't vote for them next time. They could implement their plans gradually while taking into account the economic situation. They don't need to change the world in 4 years, something so typical of left wing idealists. I would never vote for NDP normally but did in the last election only as a protest vote against the PCs and Wildrose. Next election, I won't be voting for them.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #79  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:05 PM
DizzyEdge's Avatar
DizzyEdge DizzyEdge is offline
My Spoon Is Too Big
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Build It View Post
Sticking to their guns is why I won't vote for them next time. They could implement their plans gradually while taking into account the economic situation. They don't need to change the world in 4 years, something so typical of left wing idealists. I would never vote for NDP normally but did in the last election only as a protest vote against the PCs and Wildrose. Next election, I won't be voting for them.
I would say that it's more a case of typical of a party that only expects to be in power for 4 years.
__________________
Concerned about protecting Calgary's built heritage?
www.CalgaryHeritage.org
News - Development Watch - Forums
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #80  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:22 PM
Fishthebow Fishthebow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
It'll never be a good time to do the right thing. Wasn't the biggest NDP fan, but props to them for sticking to their guns given the shitty cards they were dealt by factors far outside their control
Longtime lurker here.

Agree, but there is still an economy to manage, and longterm debt to consider. They need to pay more attention to those shitty cards they've been dealt, and not solely on their mandate or they won't get elected again. At least their better than the federal NDP with that ridiculous Leap Manifesto.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.