HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:42 PM
All-American City Boy

Taxes on skyscrapers

Hey everyone, kind of an odd set of questions here but I'm not finding much on Google.

I pay property taxes on my home. Does the same or similar apply to a skyscraper? If so, how much does the Sears Tower or Trump Tower in Chicago pay annually in taxes? The Empire State Building? The new WTC? Do skyscraper owners pay one large tax fee according to sqft, or evaluated building value, or is it divided up by how many tenants they've secured? Are older buildings enjoying the benefit of lower tax rates than their newer, more modern counterparts? Are modern buildings enjoying tax breaks for meeting certain environmental and other standards? How would skyscraper taxes relate to some cities requiring skyscrapers to maintain their "area" like sidwalk maintenance and such, as in do they get reimbursed or a tax break for performing that duty?

Sorry for all the questions, was just curious and couldn't scratch the itch because I couldn't find much on it. Thanks!
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Hey everyone, kind of an odd set of questions here but I'm not finding much on Google.

I pay property taxes on my home. Does the same or similar apply to a skyscraper? If so, how much does the Sears Tower or Trump Tower in Chicago pay annually in taxes? The Empire State Building? The new WTC? Do skyscraper owners pay one large tax fee according to sqft, or evaluated building value, or is it divided up by how many tenants they've secured? Are older buildings enjoying the benefit of lower tax rates than their newer, more modern counterparts? Are modern buildings enjoying tax breaks for meeting certain environmental and other standards? How would skyscraper taxes relate to some cities requiring skyscrapers to maintain their "area" like sidwalk maintenance and such, as in do they get reimbursed or a tax break for performing that duty?

Sorry for all the questions, was just curious and couldn't scratch the itch because I couldn't find much on it. Thanks!
Hi. It depends on what area of the county, but the building owner for rental apartments or commercial office space usually pays the tax bill based on the assessed value of the building. For condos, the owner of the condo pays the assessed value, just like you would on a house. What everyone pays should be a matter of public record and available online, depending on the area of the country.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture