HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 4:02 AM
Perch

Penn State Behrend to build 251-bed residence hall

http://www.goerie.com/news/20161110/...residence-hall

The demand for on-campus housing at Penn State Behrend is so intense that the college has maintained a waiting list for each of the past 10 years.

Currently, 39 of the 1,690 on-campus student residents live in what the college calls "supplemental housing," which includes converted study areas or sharing a room with a resident assistant.

That number should decrease once Trippe Hall is built.

Penn State's board of trustees has approved construction of the 251-bed residence hall, which will be located in the southwestern corner of the Harborcreek Township campus. Work will begin in December and is scheduled to be completed by the fall 2018 semester.

The project will cost $28.4 million.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 4:09 AM
Perch

This is great news for downtown Erie. A surface parking lot right in the center of the city will finally be redeveloped. While I wish they would be planning to build something much taller, I knew that wasn't going to happen... they've been deliberately building a campus setting in the middle of town for years now. Something that was at least 10 stories would have been nice though... so it could actually appear on the Erie skyline

Certainly nothing breathtaking... but I guess it blends in to the existing red brick vernacular of their campus.

Erie Insurance plans $135 million expansion, 600 new jobs

http://www.goerie.com/news/20161111/...n-600-new-jobs

Looking east from Perry Square (west side of complex/French Street side)

Here is the current surface parking lot that the new building will occupy:

Last edited by Perch; Nov 29, 2016 at 1:27 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2016, 1:47 PM
Perch

They've been proposing developments here since 1999, so not holding my breath. Unfortunately, this valuable tract of prime bayfront property has been owned by a chain restaurant/motel franchisee... and they really haven't had a clue what to properly do with it. One thing they are sure of... they like public funding. At least they didn't proceed with building a generic off-ramp motel like all their others on the property.

Based on this ambitious plan (with 2 hotels, condos and apartments, office and retail space, restaurant, parking garage, bridges, and parkland), there is absolutely no way it will only cost $150M.

Scott Enterprises could break ground on Harbor Place development by spring

http://www.goerie.com/news/20161105/...ment-by-spring

Harbor Place plan

The Scott Enterprises’ proposed $150 million bayfront development would be built on 12 acres that the company has owned since 1999.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2016, 5:22 PM
Perch

Erie Brewing Co. was among the first group of the new wave of microbreweries in the 1990s, being established in 1993. They started out in Erie's Union Station (which is now home to the unrelated The Brewerie at Union Station) and then moved on to a larger production and bottling facility in the Dock Junction industrial area on W. 12th Street. A few owners later and they were reportedly looking for a spot in the city to relocate to and expand... but supposedly renovation costs and taxes were too high for them (same old story).

Unfortunately, they are instead building a sucky, barn/warehouse-ish looking structure in Harborcreek Township. I don't think they should be calling themselves 'Erie' Brewing Company anymore, since they've decided to locate in the suburbs off of I-90. I'm sure they'll do well there... with easy access to I-90, the Bayfront Connector, and close proximity to Penn State - Erie... and lots of parking, of course!

Location (lot south of PA 430 and west of Hannon Rd/Knowledge Pkwy):

Rendering:

Really need to change their logo and labels.

Progress:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 5:28 AM
Perch

So not sure how much sense it makes to knock down a 9 story building and replace it with a 7 story building, but I guess when you basically print money that's what you do. UPMC has been majorly investing in Erie... and that is a good thing, even if they are removing an existing "tower".

Erie hospital unveils $111 million expansion project

http://www.goerie.com/news/20161215/...ansion-project

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 10:41 PM

I thought they were supposed to add floors to their main 8 level bldg.
Tearing down an 8 story medical bldg in good shape built in the 70's only adds to the cost.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 11:44 PM
Ex Houstonian

Man that would be awesome if that erie harbor development ever happens

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 12:04 AM
Perch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erie Pa View Post
I thought they were supposed to add floors to their main 8 level bldg.
Tearing down an 8 story medical bldg in good shape built in the 70's only adds to the cost.
I heard adding floors was a consideration, but was probably not a very serious one. I imagine that would be highly disruptive to hospital operations and difficult. Plus, they have available land to build on.

It would be more expensive to convert/renovate/expand the doctor's office building into an ICU hospital building... so that's why they are building from the ground up. Given its location right next to the main building that contains the trauma and other major operating areas, it makes sense that they want the new ICU building right next door. So it seems to make sense... but it's weird that they recently painted white professional building red to match the rest of the buildings only to knock it down a year or so later.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 1:57 AM
BANNED

Rendering of Hampton Inn & Suites to be built as part of the Harborplace development on the East Bayfront. Looks run-of-the-mill, multi-color to hide plainness with stupid roof overhangs to me.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:09 AM
BANNED

And new ICU building design revealed for the UPMC Hamot campus on East Bayfront Bluff. Could end up looking cool.

South face

North face (empty lot in front is where Hampton Inn is planned to be located)

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:52 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private Dick View Post
Rendering of Hampton Inn & Suites to be built as part of the Harborplace development on the East Bayfront. Looks run-of-the-mill, multi-color to hide plainness with stupid roof overhangs to me.

Yeah, apart from the 7 or 8 stories worth of height, which is admittedly mildly exciting for a city the size of Erie, the design looks pretty typical.

Anyway, it's nice to see an Erie update once in a while; I almost forgot that I was subscribed to this thread.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 1:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Yeah, apart from the 7 or 8 stories worth of height, which is admittedly mildly exciting for a city the size of Erie, the design looks pretty typical.

Anyway, it's nice to see an Erie update once in a while; I almost forgot that I was subscribed to this thread.
Unfortunately, this latest rendering is far inferior to the previous one in the architect's prelim plans. But that is to be expected I guess.

I'm just hoping the quality of materials is higher than the typical Hampton Inn... I imagine it will be since this is in a more prominent location than some regular old highway exit. I'm ok with the modest height in this location right on the water... and I'm sure they had to get variances for the height anyway... plus, I doubt the demand is there for a larger hotel anyway, considering there are 2 new, nicer hotels in the area already. More than anything, it's good to see a waterfront lot that has empty for 20 years finally beginning to be developed (the shit owner/developer has sat on it forever).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:35 AM
BANNED

UPMC Hamot is really pushing that red brick motif.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 10:42 PM
somewhere in-between

A few articles / news to try and get this thread caught up a bit:

1. Erie Metropolitan Transit Authority (EMTA) - Phase 2:

Phase 1 included a new maintenance facility and storage building. Phase 2, currently underway, includes a new bus garage, administration building, and 350-space parking deck with 17,000 SF ground floor retail. The third and final phase will be a new transit center and fueling station. All phases of work are scheduled to be complete in Summer 2019, totaling $60+ million and 250,000 SF of new space.

Quote:
Steel skeleton of Erie’s public busing future rising on Parade Street
By Kevin Flowers | GoErie.com
October 22, 2017

Image Source: GoErie.com / Courtesy Christopher Millette | Erie Times-News

2. Article about the EDDC's efforts to create an investment fund to begin purchasing and restoring vacant properties in downtown Erie:

Quote:
Erie looks to Cincinnati as model for its downtown revitalization
By Jim Martin | GoErie.com
October 15, 2017 

The Erie Downtown Development Corp., a group led by Erie Insurance CEO Tim NeCastro, has been looking for a way to revitalize downtown Erie, and it is eager to roll out the welcome mat to people...who are searching for an urban lifestyle...
3. Related to that effort, Gannon has contributed some $$$ to the EDDC's revitalization efforts:

Quote:
Gannon commits $2.5M to downtown revitalization
By Valerie Myers | GoErie.com
October 13, 2017 

Gannon University is making a $2.5 million investment in downtown Erie.
University trustees have committed that sum for the Erie Downtown Development Corp. Trustees are “all in” on the EDDC’s plans to spur economic development by revitalizing Erie’s core, university President Keith Taylor said. Taylor is a member of EDDC’s advisory board...
4. Editorial on the many advancements Erie has been making:

Quote:
Our view: Moving Erie forward
By the Editorial Board | GoErie.com
October 8, 2017

It’s been a busy third quarter for those working to implement the Erie Refocused comprehensive plan and move Erie and the region forward through other long-term efforts. Following is a rundown...
5. From about a month ago, Erie Events has issued a formal RFQ for the former GAF Materials Corp. site on Erie’s waterfront, and proposals will be accepted through January 8, 2018:

Quote:
Erie Events seeks GAF site development proposals
By Kevin Flowers | GoErie.com
September 12, 2017 

...A previously developed concept plan for the property includes space for restaurants and offices; residential units; an indoor market featuring local goods; parking; bicycle trails; parks and green space. The waterfront site would be open to the public.

Erie Events officials have said the total construction cost could be as high as $300 million, and officials estimate the completed project will generate between $7 million and $10 million annually in collective property tax revenues for the city of Erie, county government and the Erie School District...

Image Source: GoErie.com / Courtesy Kidder Wachter Architecture & Design

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:25 PM
somewhere in-between

After bids came in high, and now a full redesign, Velocity Network is moving forward with its plans to remodeled the 57-year old Rothrock Building, located downtown at 121 W 10th St. They are touting the VE as a good thing, a process that yielded lots of savings mechanically and electrically, with minimal loss of program (they are giving up a basement gym and employee lockers for now).

Quote:
Velocity Network’s Rothrock project moving forward
By Matthew Rink | GoErie.com
October 27, 2017

Entire project redesigned from “top to bottom.”

Renovation work is expected to begin in mid-November on Velocity Network’s future headquarters at the former Rothrock building in downtown Erie. CEO Joel Deuterman had wanted work to start in May on the project, but construction bids came in $1.2 million over budget on the project’s estimated cost of $7 million to $8 million. Deuterman now says that was a blessing in disguise...
Here's the earlier design, from June 2016:

Source: GoErie.com

And here is the new:

Source: Erie News Now / Courtesy Kidder Wachter Architecture and Design

Old Posted Oct 28, 2017, 3:30 PM
somewhere in-between

Demolition is nearing completion at 1635 W 12th St (the former Lord Corp. manufacturing site). Not sure what plans are for the cleared lot - maybe someone else knows.

Quote:
Demolition almost complete at former Lord Corp. site in Erie
By Christopher Millette | GoErie.com
October 28, 2017

Two buildings with a total of about 55,000 square feet of space remain on the 14-acre lot.

After more than a year of on-again, off-again work, heavy demolition is almost complete at the former Lord Corp. manufacturing site, 1635 W. 12th St. A crew from Woodford Excavating of Leavittsburg, Ohio, said by Monday they’ll finish tearing down structures and removing scrap steel. In 2014, Lord Corp. moved all operations from the site and another site on West Grandview Boulevard to a new, consolidated location in Summit Township...

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Demolition is nearing completion at 1635 W 12th St (the former Lord Corp. manufacturing site). Not sure what plans are for the cleared lot - maybe someone else knows.
I think they were initially going to keep some of the buildings and market the site to multiple prospective tenants. Then plans changed and they decided to level the whole site with hopes to lure a single, large tenant. I don't see a large manufacturer/industrial use moving in there... more than likely large retail or car dealership maybe.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:37 PM

Not a major project, but the below is the type of small development that really contributes to helping downtown Erie revitalilze. A coffee shop can really serve as a hub for people of many walks of life, bringing new consumers, foot traffic, and ideas to the area. There's a nice Starbucks across the street and up a block. but a locally-owned and operated

The downtown area was experiencing a lot of positive momentum from the late 90s to around 2010 or so. Since then, Erie has seen significant increases in violent crime, unemployment, disinvestment in the downtown, and decreases in city population. So there has been a lull in recent years, but things seem to be REALLY picking up now, with concerted efforts by a consortium of major employers, gov't, non-profits, and outside experts to halt the decline and rebuild a downtown the region can be proud of.

The Ember+Forge coffee shop will be opening soon in a two century-old building on this corner in the Lower State part of downtown Erie (where the former Northwest Svgs bank was):

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 4:52 PM

Some renderings from the recently-completed bayfront master plan with ideas for Dobbins Landing (Public Dock/East & West Canal Basin areas) and Liberty Park on the west bayfront. I like the ferris wheel as an attraction point, but the location on Dobbins Landing is probably unrealistic and not favored.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 10:22 PM

I hope Erie is able to keep revitalizing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like there have been several plans for revitalizing the waterfront, but have there been any real progress on those projects? Last time I was in Erie (years ago) I didn't notice much being done along the waterfront. Downtown Erie has a ton of potential due to it being along the lake, so I hope it keeps improving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations