HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 1:13 PM

Chart from the latest census data. Growth patterns largely as expected.

https://www.philly.com/news/philadel...-20190523.html

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; May 23, 2019 at 1:33 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 5:55 PM

Philadelphia Region Fortune 500 and 1000 Companies 2019

Fortune 500
10. Amerisource Bergen - Chesterbrook, PA (soon to be Conshohocken, PA)
32. Comcast - Philadelphia, PA
35. DowDuPont - Wilmington, DE
187. Lincoln Financial Group - Radnor, PA
198. Aramark - Philadelphia, PA
284. Crown Holdings - Philadelphia, PA
293. Universal Health Services - King of Prussia, PA
349. Campbell Soup - Camden, NJ
400. UGI - King of Prussia, PA
428. Toll Brothers - Horsham, PA
451. Burlington Stores - Burlington, NJ
454. Chemours - Wilmington, DE
497. Navient - Wilmington, DE

Fortune 1000
543. Genesis Healthcare - Kennett Square, PA
552. Ametek - Berwyn, PA
556. FMC Corp - Philadelphia, PA
634. Urban Outfitters - Philadelphia, PA
676. Penn National Gaming - Reading, PA
691. American Water Works - Camden, NJ
723. Penn Mutual Life Insurance - Horsham, PA
728. Triumph Group - Berwyn, PA
759. Vishay Intertechnology - Malvern, PA
796. Unisys - Blue Bell, PA
841. EnerSys - Reading, PA
870. Teleflex - Wayne, PA
890. Brightview Holdings - Blue Bell, PA
940. Carpenter Technology - Bensalem, PA
985. Healthcare Services Group - Bensalem, PA

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 7:16 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
The Station at Willow Grove, about a week ago.

The post on the site may be from a week ago but those pics are not recent judging by the trees so at this point it may be much further along, I will have to drive by there sometime soon and check it out.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 9:13 PM
Me?!?

Montgomery Park Phase II in the works on site of former Montgomery Hospital

NORRISTOWN — As Montgomery Park Senior Housing continues to grow, memories of Montgomery Hospital, the venerable structure it replaced, belong more and more to the distant past.

Four years after the hospital building was demolished, and a year after the original Montgomery Park debuted with 50 apartments, developer Elon Development Company, Inc., Allied Construction and property manager Altman Management Company are collaborating on the sequel — the $13.1 million Montgomery Park Senior Housing Phase II.

“There’s tremendous demand and tremendous interest, based on the results of Phase I and that’s certainly going to carry over to phase II,” noted Francis Vargas, vice president of Fort Washington-based Elon Development, who recently presented the Phase II proposal at a Norristown Council meeting.

The new four-story building, to be designed by Kramer and Marks Architects and constructed on the available vacant land, will mirror the original, with a slightly smaller presence, while housing 42 units, with on-site parking, laundry, community room and landscaping. Vargas explained.

“We’re building off the success of Phase I. Many of the approvals are already in place, but we are awaiting an announcement of an award for tax credits and funding from the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency in July.”

The tax credits earned will be used to attract an equity investor, a scenario that will likely see the return of Bank of America, he added.

Back in 2014, Elon had negotiated an agreement of sale to purchase the hospital building and 3.7-acre site from Einstein Healthcare Network (EHN), which owned the former Montgomery Hospital.

https://www.timesherald.com/montgome...9a6812eb7.html

Old Posted May 26, 2019, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Chart from the latest census data. Growth patterns largely as expected.

https://www.philly.com/news/philadel...-20190523.html
Anyone know why New Castle County isn’t on this map? Or what the data looks like?

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad9 View Post
Anyone know why New Castle County isn’t on this map? Or what the data looks like?
Not sure why NCCo info isn't there, but here are the stats:

Population growth was 3.9% from 2010.
2010: 538,479
2018 est: 559,335
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ne...countydelaware

If you were curious about Kent and Sussex counties:
Kent was up 10% from 2010 to 2018 (2010: 162,310; 2018: 178,550).
Sussex was up a whooping 16.3% from 2010 to 2018 (2010: 197,145; 2018: 229,286).

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Not sure why NCCo info isn't there, but here are the stats:

Population growth was 3.9% from 2010.
2010: 538,479
2018 est: 559,335
https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/ne...countydelaware

If you were curious about Kent and Sussex counties:
Kent was up 10% from 2010 to 2018 (2010: 162,310; 2018: 178,550).
Sussex was up a whooping 16.3% from 2010 to 2018 (2010: 197,145; 2018: 229,286).
I'm surprised Delaware hasn't reached 1 million in population yet with the amount of people moving in. I'm definitely expecting the population to reach 1 million in 2020.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I'm surprised Delaware hasn't reached 1 million in population yet with the amount of people moving in. I'm definitely expecting the population to reach 1 million in 2020.
Only about 34,000 left to go.

Looking at the data for Wilmington, it’s lost a few people since 2010 but is effectively stagnant at around 70/71 each year. Somewhat discouraging but I suppose it could be much worse.

Edit: Great to see consistent and stable growth in Philly proper and in the metro, though.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 9:06 AM

Quote:

Looking at the data for Wilmington, it’s lost a few people since 2010 but is effectively stagnant at around 70/71 each year. Somewhat discouraging but I suppose it could be much worse.

Edit: Great to see consistent and stable growth in Philly proper and in the metro, though.
Hum. Looks down slightly from last year. And down 200 from 2010. Most recent peak in 2014.

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

Still, things seem to be improving all the time at ground level. I liked the recently opened DE.CO when I was there earlier this month.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:45 PM

Wilmington - The Highlands (Brandywine Park / Rockford Park)

The Overlook at Rockford Falls:

Still under construction, but some people have already moved in, and it appears all 32 homes already sold.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:

That's disappointing. I thought everybody was telling me that Wilmington was slowly growing. Do you think Wilmington will ever get back to or surpass its peak population of 114k in our lifetime?

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
That's disappointing. I thought everybody was telling me that Wilmington was slowly growing. Do you think Wilmington will ever get back to or surpass its peak population of 114k in our lifetime?
114,000 is very unrealistic. You're talking about 45,000 new residents. Wilmington of the early 20th-mid-20th century was different, and you know the history. All the jobs, shopping, everything was in the city then, industry/manufacturing in the city, the suburbs weren't built, this was also prior to the Great Migration, the 1968 race riots/National Guard occupation and ensuing white flight to those newly built suburbs.

Who cares about 114,000 as a number. There are definitely a lot of positives going on: The Riverfront, all the investment Downtown. The City is finally being run like a real city with the new administration. Crime is down. I could see Wilmington getting into the 80,000-90,000 range in the next decade or so, but come on, 45,000 new residents any time soon is not happening.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
114,000 is very unrealistic. You're talking about 45,000 new residents. Wilmington of the early 20th-mid-20th century was different, and you know the history. All the jobs, shopping, everything was in the city then, industry/manufacturing in the city, the suburbs weren't built, this was also prior to the Great Migration, the 1968 race riots/National Guard occupation and ensuing white flight to those newly built suburbs.

Who cares about 114,000 as a number. There are definitely a lot of positives going on: The Riverfront, all the investment Downtown. The City is finally being run like a real city with the new administration. Crime is down. I could see Wilmington getting into the 80,000-90,000 range in the next decade or so, but come on, 45,000 new residents any time soon is not happening.
The question was "in our lifetime"--in which case it's impossible to tell. Skyrocketing housing costs in the big NE cities and cheaper, faster rail transportation could make Wilmington into an urban bedroom community of sorts in the future.

But in the short term, I agree that it's on the right track. Some modest growth over the next few years would be great validation.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 2:30 PM

Highly doubt it "in our lifetime" -- Wilmington hasn't been anywhere near 100,000 people since the mid-1950's. The amount of new housing/renovations needed to facilitate that many new residents is unrealistic.

Old Posted May 29, 2019, 5:05 PM

Fun fact: The Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD Metropolitan Statistical Area unemployment rate hit an all-time low (well as far as the data goes back to 1990) in April at 3.1%. Previous low was 3.3% in December 1999.

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; May 30, 2019 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 11:42 AM

Wilmington - Brandywine Hills

Nice to see some new development planned for outside of The Riverfront, Downtown, or Trolley Square in Wilmington. Looks like Capano is planning on building a multi-building apartment complex off of Lea Blvd, where the old Riverside Hospital once stood. For the beer geeks, the recently opened- Wilmington Brew Works is walkable from this new complex.

Wilmington Brew Works - opened last summer:

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 12:08 PM

NJ needs to stop the slow bleed. As somebody who grew up and went to college in NJ, I can attest to the fact that a large handful of the people that I know who grew up there and didn't move far away hopped across the river to PA (including myself). Most of the others went to North Jersey and work in NYC or the surrounding area. The state itself is still slowly growing, but in very select spots...immigration is fueling the growth, but long timers are heading for the door.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 4:33 PM

Stockton University plans to partner with developer for more student housing in Atlantic City

Read more here:
https://www.philly.com/education/sto...-20190529.html

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 12:57 AM

That project near Wilmington Brew Works is great news. Need some more development like that spread more evenly throughout Wilmington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
NJ needs to stop the slow bleed. As somebody who grew up and went to college in NJ, I can attest to the fact that a large handful of the people that I know who grew up there and didn't move far away hopped across the river to PA (including myself). Most of the others went to North Jersey and work in NYC or the surrounding area. The state itself is still slowly growing, but in very select spots...immigration is fueling the growth, but long timers are heading for the door.
What’s driving the exodus?

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
What’s driving the exodus?
NJ has a tax problem. For me personally it came down to property taxes, why pay $4k extra/yr for a the same sized house/lot in a similar school district? I'm about 5 miles from the NJ border and 45 minutes from where I grew up, so I'm not missing out on anything. NJ has also increased personal income tax across the board, so everybody from the rich to the poor are paying more. Unfortunately NJ has gotten a bad reputation from all of this, so when somebody looks at the non-discernible difference in things like commute times into Philly, west of the Delaware is more appealing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations