HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well that's kind of a game changer. I still wish they'd allow retail in the courthouse, but at least they're planning to sell off the southern half of the block for another tower. Whatever gets built on that southern lot will likely be very tall.
As I've mentioned before, it sounds like there may very well be retail in the courthouse:
Austin Monitor Radio: Travis County Civil and Family Courthouse and other development plans
http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...lopment-plans/

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Well that's kind of a game changer. I still wish they'd allow retail in the courthouse, but at least they're planning to sell off the southern half of the block for another tower. Whatever gets built on that southern lot will likely be very tall.
But that's the problem, they're not planning on selling off the southern half. They want to have a developer pay to build on it, and then have to abandon it at some point in the (near?) future when the court needs more space.

What developer is going to take that deal?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 3:01 PM

So how tall would a 500k sq ft building be that takes up half a block with court house set backs from the street?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 5:00 PM

I'm still a "no" vote unless the bond language binDe the county to what happens on the south side of the block. I don't trust them to do the right thing once they get approval.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2015, 7:11 PM

I would also want to see a specific plan in place before voting yes.
I also do not trust the county to do the right thing. This entire processs has told us
all we need to know.
Would love to see a desgin first, but thats just not how it's done with gov. buildings.

Note: often in arts buildings this is the case. There is often a design proposal invested in to help "shop" for donars. Zach was a good example. Ironically the doomed Austin Museum of Art had two different designs in place a decade or so apart. ( both attempts obviously failed... which is why the county bought this partiuclar land! )

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 4:41 AM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2015, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
As for how likely a PPP would result in something superior - who knows. But they sure did whet our appetites with that 2011 Travis County Central Campus Study that had various options for the PPP. Below is my favorite because the private tower is the tallest of the 4 options. This was just a concept created for the study to sell the commissioners on the idea. It would have been nice tho.

Turn this "L" shaped building 45 degrees to make a south facing arrow, 850'-950' feet, some classy lighting and we are in business. The perfect addition to the skyline. Third Street would be our canyon of monsters.

If they would release some 'vision' of this sort they would get a lot more yes votes than we have sitting around here right now.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 10:56 PM

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...ouse-campaign/

From the article:
Quote:
If voters ultimately approve the bond, the county will build a 14-story courthouse at Guadalupe and West Fourth streets, across from Republic Square Park.

It would replace the Heman Marion Sweatt Travis County Courthouse just six blocks to the north.

Supporters of the new courthouse argue that the current one, built in 1931, is outdated, cramped and in poor repair and does not provide enough space to minimize contact between victims of domestic violence and their alleged abusers.

While there is broad consensus that the county is badly in need of a new facility, the CCFC PAC will have to overcome several obstacles, including the prevailing belief that local leaders should address the rising cost of living in Central Texas by decreasing the property tax burden on homeowners.

There are also concerns that a courthouse would be a wasted opportunity for one of the last underdeveloped properties in the central business district.

Led by County Judge Sarah Eckhardt, the County Commissioners Court is working on ways to mitigate those concerns, including construction of a second office tower on the site and several other methods to offset a significant portion of the cost.

County staff is expected to reveal a more detailed look at the potential offsets in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2015, 11:03 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

So, what would happen with the old courthouse? It wouldn't be torn down, so how would it be repurposed?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 3:23 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
So, what would happen with the old courthouse? It wouldn't be torn down, so how would it be repurposed?
Travis County Bureau of Red Tape and Other Unnecessary Time-Wasters

Old Posted Jul 24, 2015, 6:46 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Travis County Bureau of Red Tape and Other Unnecessary Time-Wasters
I can't imagine a better use for an old courthouse. There would be long lines at many different windows. When you get up to your window, they look at your paperwork for a while, then excuse themselves and wander off for about a half hour to mysteriously research something about your situation. When they finally return, they tell you that you need to go to a different window, which happens to be the one that referred you to the current window.

This cycle repeats FOR ALL ETERNITY!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2015, 2:05 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I can't imagine a better use for an old courthouse. There would be long lines at many different windows. When you get up to your window, they look at your paperwork for a while, then excuse themselves and wander off for about a half hour to mysteriously research something about your situation. When they finally return, they tell you that you need to go to a different window, which happens to be the one that referred you to the current window.

This cycle repeats FOR ALL ETERNITY!

Sounds a lot like China. I'll have to bring you guys in sometime on our visa requirements, my driver's license process, as well as the process of purchasing and registering a car here...

Anyway, I think a more realistic use of the building is just for county offices or something. It's not the most spectacular building in the world, so I don't see them turning it into a museum or anything like some counties do (Denton County is one example - beautiful old courthouse on the square).

Or turn it into lofts...sell it off to a developer and retrofit the building?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 2:23 AM

Travis County builds interest in courts complex development plan:

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...elopment-plan/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 7:51 AM

It appears Zimmerman's idea about moving the courthouse is going nowhere.

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories...wift-backlash/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 5:26 PM
Member since 2001

Van Cleve is correct about one thing...Zimmerman is an idiot.

However, what will tax payers say when the county has already spent "millions" in the planning of the new courthouse and the $287 million bond to build it fails in November? $287 million for a squat, 14-story, federalist-looking building? What the hell? AND why does it cost so much? Sarah Eckhardt & Brigid Shea cannot shit in regular toilets, they need pure golden, LEED Platinum certified ones? Ruby soap dispensers and Ivory sinks?

As a citizen of Travis county, I believe the county does have a "personal" agenda and is not looking out for what is best for our community. Furthermore, I do not want my taxes raised to pay for something I do not want in this particular area.

I will vote "no" on this referendum and I strongly urge others to do so as well.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:38 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I like how Zimmerman attacked the project as being a waste of taxpayer money, and Van Cleve just made personal attacks. Typical.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 8:56 PM
Meh

Putting the courthouse outside of Austin is a horrible idea. Wherever it goes it needs to be central and have good public transit. The government shouldn't go forcing everyone to do jury duty and then make it difficult for some to get there. It needs to be accessible to all, and I worry that putting it in some obscure place outside the city limits or on the fringes will put it out of reach for some people.

If it were to be built closer in in East Austin where the transit options don't suck, then it would likely still need to be at least somewhat tall to deal with space constraints of the property, while still figuring in parking. An ideal location would be somewhere near a rail stop.

The biggest chunk of Travis County's population is located inside Austin and especially central - so it doesn't make much sense to put a public building that will see a lot of traffic outside of Austin or to its farthest reaches.

Plus, I'm not even sure putting it outside of Austin could be legally done anyway since the city is the county seat. Isn't there a rule about the courthouse only being inside the county seat?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 9:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Putting a court house civil or otherwise in East Austin would send a bad message since it has traditionally been the heart of the African American and Hispanic culture.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 9:33 PM
Member since 2001

I would agree - a court near Lake Long is absurd on many levels. Additionally, I would also agree that a new court house should be built in central austin - but, not necessarily in the CBD. And especially not on the current, prime site which was purchased without voter approval (it was not required). It is as if the county thinks it can bully us into building them what they want, where they want.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 10:18 PM

I posted this earlier in another thread, but I wanted to get my two cents in again over here on the courthouse thread: Travis County already owns a decent backup location for a new courthouse on land adjacent to Highland Mall in an area well serviced by express highways and other transit options. I doubt seriously that they would decide to build in an area east of downtown instead of using this second option which has already been considered in the past. Zimmerman must have spiked Ora's kool aid or got her salivating at the prospect of more county jobs on the east side. Still, county commissioners are not going to like being second guessed by city council members. Zimmerman will make a few new enemies in high places with this proposal. I must say that Zimmerman is showing himself to be rather skilled at grabbing headlines, and he'll almost certainly try to take credit for any change in plans that may transpire in the months ahead. I think the courhouse ballot proposition is pretty much DOA.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin