HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 14, 2010, 10:22 PM

honestly, all simplot would have to do to get it approved, imo, is lose the twirly dinks and change the color from red to...basically anything else. those are the only two negatives to the project in my perspective

Old Posted Oct 15, 2010, 12:10 PM

What was to be housed in that cylinder-shaped structure?

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Oct 16, 2010, 9:33 AM

Sorry guys, hate to be the pessimist, but I'm glad they shot down that design. Sure, I want to economic impact as much as the next guy, but that thing is just hideous to me the more I look at it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 2:37 AM

Simplots, Boise planners clash over Downtown Boise ‘JUMP’ project

Should the Simplots go back to the drawing board or take their $70 million project elsewhere?

BY BETHANN STEWART - bstewart@idahostatesman.com
Copyright: © 2010 Idaho Statesman
Published: 10/17/10

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2010/1...ump-fight.html

City leaders and the residents on a design review committee — which voted to reject the project last week — want to maintain their vision of Downtown and make sure development fits for the future.

In a statement Friday, Mayor David Bieter said, ”I still very much want JUMP to succeed and ... will do everything I can within the law to help the project proceed.“ He said he’ll talk with the Simplots about their ”many paths to approval.“

Here's what some of the conditions were, and why the committee denied the proposal.

SOME CONDITIONS THE CITY SET AND THE SIMPLOTS AGREED TO:

1. Myrtle Street vehicle access: Reducing three proposed entrances to just one cut the chances for bottlenecks on the main Downtown artery and likely reduced conflicts between cars, bikes and pedestrians.

2. 9th Street vehicle access: Reducing the number of entrances to a surface lot from two to one accomplished the same things for the city’s main southbound route.

3. Modified parking stalls: Reconfiguring the layout inside the parking garage reduced potential conflicts between motorcycles, vehicles and pedestrians.

4. Front Street landscaping: Adding lawn between the sidewalk and Front Street should provide cyclists and pedestrians a better buffer from the busy street’s traffic.

5. Front Street drop-off lane: Eliminating a proposed drive-through lane eliminated the chance that it would have impeded connectivity with 10th Street and created a safety hazard for motorists on Front Street.

CONDITIONS THE CITY ASKED FOR AND THE SIMPLOTS CONTESTED:

A. Front Street access: Since the only way for vehicles to get in and out of the parking garage is on Myrtle Street, which runs east, the city wants to see a second entrance and exit at Front and 10th streets. It would have to connect underground, in a tunnel below the park.

B. Street-level views: From Myrtle Street, required fireproofing on the steel ceiling of the 26-foot-high first level of the above-ground parking structure would be visible for about two city blocks. Although similar fireproofing on steel was approved for the nearby Hampton Inn garage, where it can be easily seen, the city would like to see JUMP’s garage be built with encased steel or concrete.

WHAT IS JUMP?

It’s intended to be an arts center, meeting space and memorial to J.R. Simplot and Idaho agriculture. It would include parking, park space, pathways, antique tractors and towering, swirling slides.

WHY WAS IT DENIED?

On Wednesday, Design Review Committee members Rodney Evans, Bruce Taylor, Gregory Ugrin and Elizabeth Wolf voted against JUMP.

James Marsh, Brian Garrett and Robert Anderson voted for it.

At the Sept. 29 Design Review Committee meeting that deadlocked on JUMP, Evans voted for the project. It’s unknown why he changed his mind and voted against it Wednesday. It’s also unknown why three other committee members voted against it, because none spoke publicly.

Wolf declined to comment for this article. No other committee members returned calls seeking comment.

At Wednesday’s meeting, Wolf raised the following objections before making a motion to deny the project:

1. The parking garage, enclosed event space, studio spaces and large outdoor park do not comply with the city’s Comprehensive Plan, which calls for high-density development in this area.

2. Pedestrians on Myrtle Street will see a two-block parking garage, while the Comp Plan states that new development should enhance the pedestrian experience.

3. The visual look of the project from Myrtle Street is not in keeping with what the Comp Plan suggests for gateways to Downtown.

4. The bright, bold colors proposed for the project are not compatible with any colors in the Downtown skyline.

5. The project does not comply with the Downtown Boise Plan because there are no retail stores or offices.

6. Although some entertainment uses have been suggested, no personal services are available on-site, which the Downtown Plan also suggests.

7. The Downtown Plan calls for special treatment of gateway corridors, and this project does not comply because it ”is a parking garage embellished with theme-park-like elements.“

”It does not celebrate innovation. It does not celebrate Idaho’s agricultural roots. It does not celebrate the arts ... it does not celebrate Boise’s urban landscape,“ she said.”... We must demand more.“

ADDITIONAL ISSUES

Although not raised at Wednesday’s meeting, mayoral spokesman Adam Park said the committee also was concerned that:

1. The overall connectivity to Downtown was not guaranteed with an easement that gave the city control over the pathways in the parklike space.

2. The 10th Street entrance to the park was not well designed for pedestrians and cyclists.

3. The park was designed with too many hidden spaces where visitors can’t see what’s around them — and that could cause safety problems.

4. There could be safety issues with the slides, which are 6› stories high, and don’t integrate with the design.

5. J.R. Simplot’s collection of antique tractors, which the project would put on display in the parking structure, may cause safety problems as people try to park where others are exploring the displays.

MULTIPLE LAYERS

Because of its Downtown location, the JUMP project has to comply with several long-term city plans: Boise’s Comprehensive Plan, the River/Myrtle Street Plan, the C5 zoning district and design review ordinance.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 2:45 AM

I'm so glad the City is being tough about this and are addressing everything we've also identified on here. I get lazy and say just build it every now and then but this project still needs a ton of work to comply with all the City's plans. The Simplots should be held to the highest of standards and conformance for a project that will have this much impact on downtown.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:46 AM

I think the Boise city council SHOULD BE FIRED!!!! They are stifling the project with their petty ass changes. Do you know how many times JUMP has been modified now??

Be VERY VERY careful... The project just might sink and you will be left with NOTHING but another hole in the ground!!!!

Why?? Too much red tape.

Fire those idiots!!! Half of them don't even show up for the meetings anyways..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 3:51 AM

"3. The park was designed with too many hidden spaces where visitors can’t see what’s around them — and that could cause safety problems."

What is this BULL?? It's a freaking park!! Ever been to central park in NY??? First they don't want a large building and now they don't want a park..

Good grief... Stop micro managing the project. Learn to cope with the developers... Sheeez..

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
I think the Boise city council SHOULD BE FIRED!!!! They are stifling the project with their petty ass changes. Do you know how many times JUMP has been modified now??

Be VERY VERY careful... The project just might sink and you will be left with NOTHING but another hole in the ground!!!!

Why?? Too much red tape.

Fire those idiots!!! Half of them don't even show up for the meetings anyways..
Well, I think that something needed to happen. I just wish that the project was going forward in the same capacity as when it was originally proposed.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2010, 12:03 PM
Dare Mighty Things

I agree with the city council on a lot of those points, but I also agree that some of them are bull, namely the one that CaliforniaKid pointed out.

If the whole structure were a deep dark-but-vivid red rather than various bold, bright colors, I think that would integrate beautifully with the rest of the skyline while still standing out as a landmark structure that would give our skyline a better sense of identity.

I can't even think of a good example to relate it to, but I think it'd look great like that. Those twirly things were entirely nonsenical to me until I read that they're going to be slides. Now I actually think that's a really cool idea, that I really hope passes the approval process.

I want to see this project built. I don't want to see it built if 20 years down the road we're gonna see it as something even more rergrettable than the Grove Hotel.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 12:16 AM

Evolution of JUMP

The evolution of JUMP in a nutshell..

Started off like this... A hole in the ground.

Went to this... Nice.

People complained... Went to this..

People complained again.. Cut more off here, a little more there..

Now back to this... Nothing!!

What does the future look like? Probably this...

Thanks city council... You guys rock.

And Jobs? Who cares....

Old Posted Oct 21, 2010, 2:00 PM

Are they really planning on scattering farm equipment all over? People seem to constantly want Boise portrayed as a sophisticated and modern town. I don't think building a "modern" building and scattering farm equipment all over helps that cause.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 12:28 AM

Simplots to appeal JUMP project decision

by Jennifer Gonzalez
Published: October 21,2010
Time posted: 3:57 pm
Tags: Boise, development, JUMP, Simplot

The Simplot team will appeal Boise’s Design Review commission’s vote against the JUMP project.

Simplot spokesman David Cuio said the Simplot team met for 90 minutes Oct. 21, and will appeal the decision to Boise’s Planning and Zoning Commission during its scheduled meeting Dec. 13. On Oct. 13, Design Review voted down the $70 million project on a 4-3 vote.

“We are hopeful that P&Z will agree with the city staff when they recommended approval,” Cuio said in a written statement. “Unfortunately, four of the seven Design Review members chose to disagree with the staff’s position and with our belief that JUMP should be built.”

The Simplots had 10 days to appeal the decision to Boise’s Planning and Zoning Commission, which could approve the project or uphold the denial. If P&Z votes against JUMP, the applicant could appeal the decision to the Boise City Council, Boise Planning Director Hal Simmons said. They could also submit a new plan.

Cuio said the Simplot team has received many e-mails and phone calls from residents who support JUMP.

“We are confident that the community is behind us,” he said.

Some of those inquiries have asked about the Simplots’ willingness to consider a major redesign of the project. While Cuio said they have already redesigned JUMP once, they were willing to consider suggestions that might make it better.

“We don’t think the city’s ideas and our ideas are mutually exclusive,” he said. “We want to continue through the process to find the common ground.

Meanwhile, Design Review commissioners also met Oct. 21 to re-affirm and approve their findings and a final vote which rejected plans for JUMP. The meeting was not open to the public and has no impact on the board’s decision, Simmons said.

Commissioners who voted against JUMP cited concerns with vehicle and pedestrian access, parking, landscaping and design colors.

Jack’s Urban Meeting Place is a 7.5-acre project intended as a tribute to late industrialist and potato magnate J.R. Simplot. Plans call for a 50,000-square-foot foundation building, underground parking, park and amphitheater. Retail may also be incorporated into the development.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:08 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

That is some promising news. Why would they give up when they have come this far.

I think most of the city is behind this project, I have heard people at work discuss, and have spoken with many friends about this and most of the comments I have heard is that people in Boise are excited for JUMP, and the park space right in the center of our downtown. I am all for the park space, bring it on. I would much rather see green and trees then asphalt which if this isn't built may remain for a while.

Maybe the developers just need to change the red to some earthy blues and greens and tweak the spirals to give them a more classic look.

If design and review continues to be chumps, especially that one lady, i can't recall her name, they will be labeled as villians just like the city council members back in the 70's and 80's who leveled block after block of historic architecture for hopes for a stupid mall which ended up being built in the suburban area of town, where malls belong.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 1:20 PM
not a cynic

I don't mind the building nor its colors. It's the land use that's the problem.

1) Berms: They look so out of place to me in the downtown/north end gridded street area. Every-time I see a north end lot with a berm I want to facepalm myself. Even worse is corner lot land owners installing a 6' fence. If one wants to wall his/herself off they should consider the Eagle foothills.

JUMP's berms are the equivalent of building a 6' fence along the side street side of one's corner property. Opposite case in point: Harrison Blvd: Can you imagine if every corner lot on Harrison had a 6' side yard fence? It would totally destroy the character of Boise's favorite street.

Berms also eat up a bunch of land. They may provide better viewing for performing arts events. But how often will that be?

2) Curb Cuts: 3 curb cuts on Myrtle? Seriously? Well, I guess they have to since the rest of the block is walled off by giant berms. See 1 above.

3) Siting: Seems they given very little thought about Boise's weather. Ever been to the Grove Plaza in the winter? Other than the Xmas tree stuff and hockey games, it's lifeless for 4 or 5 months, 30 to 40% of the year. JUMP's berm on the NW corner may provide shelter from winter's prevailing wind but the building does little to provide shade during the July and August heat.

Allow the building. Move it to the SW corner, saucer section bumped out to the corner with the parking garage nacelles starting on 11th near Front and dying into the saucer section and then warping down Myrtle. Totally rethink the rest of the site use as a walled-off plaza. If they're dead set on a large plaza, at least allow for the other 3 corners to have future development similar to the Wells Fargo triangular building. 10th St should have straight through pedestrian/bicycle and maybe even auto access. Broad should extend in some capacity to at least 10th.

Last edited by boisecynic; Oct 22, 2010 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2010, 10:13 PM

^^^Now that they aren't structurally developing the entire four blocks, I agree that the streets should go into the property. I think a good way to satisfy the city and the Simplots would to just have 10th meet up with Broad. This would leave the entire southern half and northwest quadrant for their building and park space. This would also allow for the increased density in the northeast quadrant that the city desires. Due to the park space no longer being directly on the corner of the busiest intersection downtown, the dreaded berms would no longer be required, and whoever develops the other quadrant could put in retail and patio dining that could look out over JUMP, getting people into the middle of this massive piece of property, which like BoiseCynic pointed out, will be devoid of life for 4 or 5 months of the year. I also agree with having the potential for having developments on the other corners, but with what the Simplots have presented thus far, just developing the northeast quadrant sounds most plausible. Only problem is it's kinda hard to tell someone to subdivide and sell their property, or develop it more when it's not economical....tough call when a potato kingpin owns four blocks in the heart of downtown.

Sorry if I just basically reiterated everything you said, I just agree in part.

Last edited by Visualize; Oct 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 11:32 PM

This project is turning more and more into a joke.

I would like to see more density and less TWO block long parking-type structures.

The model isn't modern whatsoever, it looks like a kid made it with tinker-toys and called it 'modern'.

Also, why put a park like that sandwiched between to major roads?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 11:48 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post

Also, why put a park like that sandwiched between to major roads?
I was kind of thinking that too at first, but then realized that many large cities downtowns outside of the mountain west that I have visited, and even lived in, do have parks surrounded by busy streets and that a little green oasis really adds to the appeal of the overall effect of the downtown area.

True several parks are right by downtown, and there is Capitol Park in the center of downtown, but I think this park is a great idea, there could be more density with the proposed buildings though. Both Front and Myrtle in that area has plenty of traffic lights, slow speeds, so it isn't like a park being built next to I-84 or State west of Glenwood.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 25, 2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
I was kind of thinking that too at first, but then realized that many large cities downtowns outside of the mountain west that I have visited, and even lived in, do have parks surrounded by busy streets and that a little green oasis really adds to the appeal of the overall effect of the downtown area.

True several parks are right by downtown, and there is Capitol Park in the center of downtown, but I think this park is a great idea, there could be more density with the proposed buildings though. Both Front and Myrtle in that area has plenty of traffic lights, slow speeds, so it isn't like a park being built next to I-84 or State west of Glenwood.
But Front and Myrtle are somewhat a nuisance to cross. In rush hour, you could stand waiting for the light to change for a looonnng time. I used to walk that way to work at 5pm, and it was horrible. I guess it would be easy to pop over from BoDo, though.

I think that the degree to which this project has been scaled down makes it almost pointless. If the city uses up all of the empty blocks for 7-story buildings, they will have to spend more money demolishing other lots for taller buildings in the future.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 12:37 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjt View Post
But Front and Myrtle are somewhat a nuisance to cross. In rush hour, you could stand waiting for the light to change for a looonnng time. I used to walk that way to work at 5pm, and it was horrible. I guess it would be easy to pop over from BoDo, though.

True, but I would think, hopefully, that ACHD would upgrade the pede crossings between Front and north of Front and the same with Myrtle to the south, to be similar to the 8th Street BoDo crossing. Maybe a skywalk across Front at 9th would be all fun and games.

I was thinking that maybe they should put a BMX track around the perimiter, after all this is Boise, the City of Mountain Biking

Old Posted Oct 30, 2010, 12:28 AM

Simplot Foundation is to host open house about JUMP

Nearly two weeks after a decision to appeal Boise’s Design Review board vote on the JUMP, the Simplot Foundation is on an education tour for its proposed downtown development.

“We just want people to see the project, raise awareness about it, and get input from the community,” Project Director Maggie Soderberg said.

Team members will answer questions about Jack’s Urban Meeting Place during Boise’s First Thursday event on Nov. 4. A model of the project and PowerPoint presentation, along with comment cards and brochures will be available.The open house is scheduled from 5 to 9pm, in the Alaska Building at 1020 W. Main St. in Boise.

Design Review, on Oct. 13, denied the $70 million project by a 4-3 vote. On Oct. 21, the Simplot team decided to appeal to Boise’s Planning and Zoning commission for overriding approval. The appeal is scheduled on Dec. 13.

JUMP, a 7.5-acre project intended as a tribute to late industrialist and potato magnate J.R. Simplot, calls for a 50,000-square-foot foundation building, underground parking, park and amphitheater. Retail may also be incorporated into the development.

I'll be going!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West