HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
I think people simply look at the eight lane highway running through the Kanata greenbelt and wonder why does that have lighting and the one that runs through the east end doesn't. Maybe there is a really good reason? Or, maybe not?

As a taxpayer - I would like to see them remove the lighting along the Kanata stretch so we don't have to pay to unnecessarily "light-up" the Kanata greenbelt and maintain the lights. I think that would make everyone happy
During the Highway 417 Expansion from 416 to Eagleson (through the western greenbelt), the NCC demanded that it remain unlit. Naturally (and rightly so) the MTO told them to f$*#-off!

Folks, this is a 400-series highway serving a metro area. It is MTO policy to have that highway lit. Period.

I suspect, once MTO takes over the 174, there will be many corrections to bring that road up to standard. In its current state, the 174 is a dangerous road.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I can't recall if the lack of lighting is permanent or just a temporary removal due to LRT construction, but east of Blair eastbound the 174 is very dangerous due to a number of factors, and you can barely see the lane markings in the dark especially when it's raining. The lane configurations also have lots of deviations and curves and are not very intuitive, and everything is narrower due to the construction. (Assuming a lot of this will be corrected when the work is all done.)

Plus for some reason the speed limit remains at 100, whereas between Montreal Rd and Jeanne d'Arc (a stretch which also needs lighting) everything is much wider and straight and the maximum remains 80.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 8:54 PM

One thing I noticed a long time ago is that on the light standards installed on the 417 through the western Greenbelt, there are "blinders" installed next to each individual light appearing to focus light onto the roadway and limit leakage into the surrounding natural environment. I don't know exactly how to describe them other than that they remind me of horse blinker/blinders. I also can't recall if they're installed on every light standard through that stretch or just a few.

In any case, I agree with others that the 174 feels very dangerous through the Greenbelt without any lighting. High-beams aren't really an option because of surrounding traffic. The guardrail/barrier is very close to the left lane in many areas and when lane markings are barely visible (especially when it's wet) you feel like you're going to get sandwiched between a vehicle to your right and the barrier to your left. Lighting absolutely needs to be installed and hopefully those "blinders" can fitted onto the lights as a compromise.

Overall, this city needs way more lighting and way brighter lighting. It's kind of a joke how dimly lit many urban areas like downtown/Centretown/Byward etc. are. Especially in a city/country where it gets dark at 4pm half the year. Sorry but you shouldn't need a headlamp to walk your dog through an urban park at 6pm in December.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
I think people simply look at the eight lane highway running through the Kanata greenbelt and wonder why does that have lighting and the one that runs through the east end doesn't. Maybe there is a really good reason? Or, maybe not?
I still scratch my head at that 8-10 lane stretch, as if we were trying to catch-up with Toronto and Houston. The bottleneck was always from Bayshore east. Such a waste of money, not to mention the environmental impact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Also - if anyone wants some nostalgia, drive the 417 west at night (between 1-5 am) and experience the nice old halogen lights from downtown to Carling. Once it switches to LED you can really tell the difference. I love driving in the halogen (metal halide).
I find the new LEDs depressing. I long for the days of warm halogen lamps. I understand the reasoning for the switch, but wonder if we could modify the Kelvins to get something closer to halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can't recall if the lack of lighting is permanent or just a temporary removal due to LRT construction, but east of Blair eastbound the 174 is very dangerous due to a number of factors, and you can barely see the lane markings in the dark especially when it's raining. The lane configurations also have lots of deviations and curves and are not very intuitive, and everything is narrower due to the construction. (Assuming a lot of this will be corrected when the work is all done.)

Plus for some reason the speed limit remains at 100, whereas between Montreal Rd and Jeanne d'Arc (a stretch which also needs lighting) everything is much wider and straight and the maximum remains 80.
It's always been the case. I was hopeful that Stage 2 would bring lighting to that stretch of the 174, but apparently not. I agree with some of the comments, it can be scary with poor road conditions in the dead of winter and whenever it rains.

Agreed with the limits as well. They don't compute with the road layout. And contraction has been pretty much complete for about a year now, at least from a highway impact perspective.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 6:22 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

New Highway 416 interchange in Barrhaven will be a 'game-changer': Sutcliffe
There is currently an overpass on Barnsdale Road over Highway 416, but it does not allow for entry or exit from the highway.

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Published Apr 12, 2024 • Last updated 4 minutes ago • 1 minute read

A new $5 million interchange at Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road will save time for Barrhaven commuters, the province’s transportation minister says.

“As Ontario’s population grows, it’s critical we ensure our province’s transportation network keeps pace,” said Prabmeet Sarkaria, who was in Ottawa on Friday.

“The new interchange at Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road will help local residents and other drivers get where they need to go faster and more conveniently.”

There is currently an overpass that carries traffic travelling east and west on Barnsdale Road over Highway 416, but it does not allow for entry or exit from Highway 416. The interchange would allow traffic to move in all directions.

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe called the interchange a “game-changer.” The province is to work with the City of Ottawa to plan and design the interchange, which will also serve Manotick and Richmond.

“Advancing the design and construction of a new interchange at Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road will improve infrastructure and connectivity within our communities,” Sutcliffe said.

The Highway 416 and Barnsdale Road interchange is part of the “new deal” between the Ontario government and Ottawa, which includes up to $181 million for critical transportation projects, including rehabilitation and maintenance of Ottawa Road 174 in the east end and funding for the Kanata North Transitway. The costs of maintaining and improving Highway 174 have cost the city millions since they were downloaded from the province to the city in 1997.

Last year, an environmental assessment of the Barnsdale exchange and a preliminary design for the Barnsdale interchange was completed.

The assessment noted that four provincially endangered or threatened species at risk including bobolink, eastern meadowlark, eastern wood-pewee and bat species, had the potential to be affected by the proposed work.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...nger-sutcliffe

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 6:30 PM

"Game changer"? Wow, that's the overstatement of the year. At best, it will be slightly more convenient for local residents. That's about it.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:33 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Speed limit rising to 110 km/h on Hwy 416, parts of 401
Higher speed limits along 10 stretches of 400-series highways to kick in this year

CBC News
Posted: Apr 24, 2024 11:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 5 minutes ago

Ontario will raise the speed limit on more sections of 400-series highways to 110 km/h later this year, including additional sections near Ottawa.

The speed limit will rise along nearly all of Highway 416 from Highway 401 to the capital, a distance of about 70 kilometres. The province did not specify where exactly the speed limit will change, but Wednesday's announcement suggests it will be about five kilometres south of the 416/417 split.

The speed limit will also rise along three sections of Highway 401: between the Highway 16 Johnstown exit and the Quebec border, between Belleville and Kingston, and between Belleville and Colborne.

In all, the speed limit will rise along 10 stretches of highway. Most will change on Friday, July 12, and the rest will follow by the end of the year.

The province says the highways are designed to handle higher speeds, a claim that's already been put to the test when speed limits were raised in 2019 and 2022, including sections of Highway 417 on either side of central Ottawa.

Drivers caught going 150 km/h can still face stunt driving charges, the province warns.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ange-1.7183162

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 3:49 PM

This to me is still very confusing.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 5:23 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Why must the city take so long to figure out that clearing snow in the winter is a good idea?
A pilot project to remove snow from the stairs of the Flora and Corktown footbridges was a success with locals. The city wants to do some more assessing.

Bruce Deachman, Ottawa Citizen
Published May 03, 2024 • Last updated 9 hours ago • 3 minute read

With winter safely distant in the rear-view mirror (fingers crossed), it seems like a good time to take a quick look at one particular pilot project that the city undertook — the clearing of snow and ice from the steps of the Corktown and Flora footbridges, the two dedicated pedestrian crossings over the Rideau Canal, to allow for their year-round use — to see how it panned out.

According to councillors Ariel Troster and Shawn Menard, whose wards are home to the two bridges, it went swimmingly. Troster describes the public feedback she received as “overjoyed,” while Menard told me this week that the responses he’s heard have been positive.

“It makes so much sense, living in a winter city, to have this very easy quality-of-life improvement at a low cost,” he said.

Mary Gick, meanwhile, a leader of the Council on Aging of Ottawa’s Snow Moles program, in which volunteers critically audit and report on the walkability of Ottawa’s winter streets and sidewalks, told me that they were similarly pleased with the snow-clearing of the bridges’ steps.

And why not? My initial and continued reaction after hearing the comments the councillors received was “Well, of course that was the response.” As I wrote last fall, the failure of municipal and federal levels of government to ensure that public pathways, bridges and stairs are passable in winter almost beggars belief.

Winter is a cold, hard fact of life in Ottawa, and often a lengthy one. Accommodations should be made to help people navigate through it, rather than simply chaining the routes shut. Sure, it may save money not to clear snow from these passageways, but that hardly serves the many residents who rely on them to get about the city. No one (to my knowledge) has seriously suggested that we don’t clear streets and sidewalks of snow, so why do we allow other well-used routes to be closed off for a good portion of the year?

The city, however, is taking a longer, more measured look at the matter. It’s the bureaucratic way.

“As part of the Winter Maintenance Quality Standards (WMQS) Update, the City of Ottawa proposed a pilot project to maintain the Corktown and Flora Footbridge stairways this winter,” was the response — attributed to Roads and Parking Services manager Quentin Levesque — I received when I asked for an update on the program. “The feedback from operations staff, as well as service requests, are currently being compiled and assessed. The pilot results will be included in the WMQS review report, which is expected to be tabled in the fall.”

Far be it from me to get in the way of some good old compiling and assessing, but how this isn’t a slam dunk is baffling.

Surely the cost of maintaining these routes in the winter is nothing compared to the benefits that residents derive. As Bob Dylan famously sang, you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, and the fact that this was even a pilot project in the first place seems overly administrative. It should have been done years ago, not as a test but as a matter of course.

The WMQS report this fall should reach the same conclusion. Hopefully the city will not end the practice or simply maintain it, but expand it. Menard notes that residents who have indicated their support for the wintertime cross-canal access also asked about other locations — Central Park, for example, on either side of Bank Street in the Glebe, or the stairs near Avenue Road, from Echo Drive to Colonel By Drive, which Menard says the NCC has for years cleared, but only during Winterlude.

The footbridges should not be the end of this story, but the beginning, the tip of the iceberg when it comes to giving the public access to public spaces.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...is-a-good-idea

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 6:49 PM

The fountain in Confederation Park is still empty of water,
and fenced off by a tall metal fence.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 10:05 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Not to make this sound like a Reddit post but...

Has anyone driven down Bank street between Hunt Club and Riverside? and adjacent to that.. Alta Vista to Smyth?

I don't usually like to bang my fist about "fix the roads!" but my lord those stretches of road are absolutely FUBAR! I saw today they had just done a pile of patchwork on Alta Vista but honestly you are still a buckin bronco riding down that stretch.

There was also a massive pot hole on Daze right next to Bank street that damaged the right front of my work vehicle last summer.

Hunt Club between the transitway and Albion is also a white knuckle ride.

Seriously man... this isn't nitpicking. This is a safety issue. I feel like I'm weaving around like a drunk trying to avoid potholes. The roads I just mentioned are probably the ones I frequent most and I find it stressful. Hearing your vehicle audibly voice is displeasure every step of the way is not pleasant.

My cynical side says it's a traffic calming measure.

There is a speed camera on Alta Vista in front of St. Pats and all I can think of is "what kind of lunatic would subject their car to more than 40km\h on that stretch of road?"

I'm going to reach out to Councillor Brockington and see what he thinks.

Have a good day everyone.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
Not to make this sound like a Reddit post but...

Has anyone driven down Bank street between Hunt Club and Riverside? and adjacent to that.. Alta Vista to Smyth?

I don't usually like to bang my fist about "fix the roads!" but my lord those stretches of road are absolutely FUBAR! I saw today they had just done a pile of patchwork on Alta Vista but honestly you are still a buckin bronco riding down that stretch.

There was also a massive pot hole on Daze right next to Bank street that damaged the right front of my work vehicle last summer.

Hunt Club between the transitway and Albion is also a white knuckle ride.

Seriously man... this isn't nitpicking. This is a safety issue. I feel like I'm weaving around like a drunk trying to avoid potholes. The roads I just mentioned are probably the ones I frequent most and I find it stressful. Hearing your vehicle audibly voice is displeasure every step of the way is not pleasant.

My cynical side says it's a traffic calming measure.

There is a speed camera on Alta Vista in front of St. Pats and all I can think of is "what kind of lunatic would subject their car to more than 40km\h on that stretch of road?"

I'm going to reach out to Councillor Brockington and see what he thinks.

Have a good day everyone.
It looks like the full renewal of Bank Street from Riverside to Ledbury (and inclusion of protected bike lanes!) -is about to start this year: https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...c-44c1e717ab90

If course - it might take a couple of years to finish...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation