HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Setai Fifth Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 1:47 AM
Astorian

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 5:54 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

I was hoping those crown pieces would be translucent glass so they could be backlit at night, but they don't appear to be. NYCLuver, what do they look like they're made of in person?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 7:53 AM
Astorian

Pretty much just white panels. I believe they will be lit in the front, so the light will be shining upwards.

They look to be made of not any stone, but rather just manufactured tiles. Doesn't look bad in person though. I was walking on 5th Avenue, looked up and was actually surprised to see them installing the crown, so I had to take a picture.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 8:18 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

The ESB couldn't have serve any better as a backdrop to this tower. Can't wait to see that crown lit.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 12:05 AM

Wed, Nov.18, 2009 - This Afternoon's Pics - Courtesy of Me

I just took these photos a few hours ago.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 3:03 AM

It looks like the crown will compliment the glass nicely... once its reached the top floor.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 5:56 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
The building itself appears "glassier" than I thought it would, especially from a distance, but still looking good.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 6:12 AM

Another lame addition to this area. The new stuff here is just not impressive. I find it kitschy and feel it, like other new buildings in this part of midtown, detracts much more from the area than it provides.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 7:59 PM

Cool lame addition?????

Ordo, what are you talking about??? I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree. This is the best building in that area! It's an iconic building, it has great new-art deco deisgn and it's going to improve that area A LOT! Please show me what a nice building is for you.

I found out that the crown is made of stainless steel

Last edited by fancyschmancy; Nov 19, 2009 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyschmancy View Post
Ordo, what are you talking about??? I respect your opinion but I strongly disagree. This is the best building in that area! It's an iconic building, it has great new-art deco deisgn and it's going to improve that area A LOT! Please show me what a nice building is for you.

I hope it *gleams* in the sun.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyschmancy View Post

The best building? Really? The Empire State Building is right behind it....there is incredible stonework all around it. It fits right in with 425 5th Avenue...one of the most hideous buildings in the area.

I fail to see what is deco about corrugated class and flat, unornamented stonework that is very uncharacteristic of the area. The stone at the base is ok, but the switch to precast for the tower is blatant. The base of the tower is blocky and out of proportion, not that proportion as recognized in the buildings height or crown either. The glass is platicy and way too bright for the rest of the building, creating a massive wall of texture that overwhelms these thin ribbons of stragely dark concrete. None of it works together.

For all the texture it has, it has no detail, the glass steel and concrete are all relatively flat and dont address each other nicely, leaving the facade repetitive and predicable. The building has no massing or setbacks...nothing in character or an evolution of the character of the neighborhood.

As I live in the area its my personal opinion that it detracts, tremendously. I'm glad you like it, but I don't think you can make any claim that it is iconic or deco. You're not going to see this on architecture tours or postcards of NYC.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 2:43 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

Compared to what was there previously (an empty lot), this tower is a vast improvement to the area. On different note, looking back at the 1st construction photos, this tower really shot up in less than a year.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 5:26 AM

Every building has it detractors, but if you read through this thread most of the people have been proponents of this building complementing the quality of the materials, its sleek dimensions, and uniquness of it windows. As the building reaches completion more people have expressed how pleasantly surprise it has turned out. In my book it easily in my top 15 skyscrapers built in NYC in the past decade.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 1:10 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares41 View Post
Every building has it detractors, but if you read through this thread most of the people have been proponents of this building complementing the quality of the materials, its sleek dimensions, and uniquness of it windows. As the building reaches completion more people have expressed how pleasantly surprise it has turned out.
Count me in that number. From the early renderings, I was less than impressed, and also thought this building would be another 425 5th Ave. But as construction moved on, it became clear that this tower was more, and couldn't have fit in with its surroundings any better.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 1:46 PM

Congrats for NewYorker ! This a really nice and original building. I enjoy the place! Next ESB.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 3:23 PM

Maybe all the tower fanboys could provide reasoning beyond "its perfect" "couldn't have been any better" or other vague superlative statements?

Why is this tower good? Yeah its not an empty lot...but anything is better than that.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 6:52 PM

it fits PERFECTLY with the Empire State Building, very well proportioned from EVERY angle. nice addition to Fifth Avenue. I've been watching too many cheap building recently, finally someone who does care for the design and quality. Tipically developers make a lot of value engineering and they downgrade the original design because they can't afford it, here it looks something different, isn't it?? That's why I like it. Too many crap seen around to not appreciate eventually a nice tower, especially in that area.
I'm sorry but it's going to be an iconic building, I would call it DIAMOND BUILDING

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 3:16 AM

This is a very nice building, I love it!!

I especially loved the curved base!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo_ View Post
Maybe all the tower fanboys could provide reasoning beyond "its perfect" "couldn't have been any better" or other vague superlative statements?

Why is this tower good? Yeah its not an empty lot...but anything is better than that.
Hello Ordo. What positives do you find in this project?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2009, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaso View Post
Hello Ordo. What positives do you find in this project?
Not many. Thats why I'm shocked its the new "icon" of new york city.

The only think I think it really has going for it is the overall texture of the facade.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive