HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:18 PM

The recent trend in Edmonton seems to be beautiful weather during the week followed by cool/unsettled weather on the weekend and it looks like that's the story for this week as well. Saturday looks....not good.

Today 26
Thurs. 26
Friday 20 rain
Saturday 13!! rain
Sunday 22
Monday 27
Tuesday 29

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 6:58 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
There is indeed another major factor at play: big car orientated multi level chain malls. They have popped up in every town and city in Japan, especially in suburban areas and cities under 500 000 where fringe depopulating land is cheap. They are always in the middle of no where and suck all the remaining commerce away from these old streets. In my area the two main mall chains are Yume Town and AEON Malls.

As Japan's small cities & towns empty out, I can only imagine that more of this North American-style suburban development will take hold there, unfortunately.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 7:49 PM

Slight chance that Chris could make landfall in southeastern Newfoundland tomorrow afternoon as a marginal category 1 hurricane or strong tropical storm. Whether it does, or has fully completed extra-tropical transition by the time it nears us is mostly irrelevant; the weather is going to be poop tomorrow evening.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:21 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

The good news is the mugginess will get broken. Last night was brutal. I wouldn't complain about a hot day after that stretch of late spring, but a hot night is always shitty shit. Also, I've seen half a dozen cars with English flags on them today.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 8:24 PM

Nicko could you do a top 10 mean temp for July ? After finishing 2nd in the country in June now that the East has heated up would like to see how Winnipeg ranks now , we still have had a very good start to July ( in heat terms )

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
As Japan's small cities & towns empty out, I can only imagine that more of this North American-style suburban development will take hold there, unfortunately.
Yeah, unfortunately most around the world actually want the North American suburban life.

Will post more about it in the “ugly Canada” thread later today or tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:46 AM
Go Preds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Nicko could you do a top 10 mean temp for July ? After finishing 2nd in the country in June now that the East has heated up would like to see how Winnipeg ranks now , we still have had a very good start to July ( in heat terms )
It's not a top 10 because EC's data is incomplete for some cities but I tried to cover all regions. There you go (mean July after 10 days):

Montreal: 25.6C
Windsor: 25.0C
Ottawa: 24.5C
Toronto: 24.4C
Moncton: 21.2C
Quebec City: 21.0C
Halifax: 20.6C
Winnipeg: 20.4C
Kamloops: 19.4C
Saskatoon: 17.9C
Edmonton: 17.9C
Vancouver: 17.8C
Yellowknife: 16.6C
Calgary: 16.4C
St John's: 15.3C

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 3:58 AM
Go Preds!

A beautiful summer day after the cold front hit yesterday.

26C and sunny! Low of 15C this morning. Felt kind of chilly.

It's now our 11th day with ZERO rain. The forecast doesn't look too promising as far as rain goes either with only a 30% chance on Saturday and 60% next Tuesday and another warm up (too early to call it heat wave) on its way.

The warmspot was Lytton, BC at 32.6C.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 10:45 AM

Windsor-Riverside: 26.2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
It's not a top 10 because EC's data is incomplete for some cities but I tried to cover all regions. There you go (mean July after 10 days):

Montreal: 25.6C
Windsor: 25.0C
Ottawa: 24.5C
Toronto: 24.4C
Moncton: 21.2C
Quebec City: 21.0C
Halifax: 20.6C
Winnipeg: 20.4C
Kamloops: 19.4C
Saskatoon: 17.9C
Edmonton: 17.9C
Vancouver: 17.8C
Yellowknife: 16.6C
Calgary: 16.4C
St John's: 15.3C

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 11:02 AM

Tropical Storm Chris is undergoing extratropical transition off the coast of Nova Scotia. No chance of it being a tropical storm by this evening. Expecting a little rain and some gusty winds for St. John's this evening. Otherwise it's sunny, 21, and humid at 8:30 am.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 1:38 PM
Suburbs Suck

A summery 7 days coming up for Castlegar with no heat warning because these are normal summer temperatures for us. Only Lytton BC has a hotter forecast in Canada that I can find. It’s actually a tie if you add them all together we just don’t have a 37.

Lytton

35 33 33 37 37 34 34

Castlegar

33 35 33 35 36 36 35
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:02 PM

Chris is actually pulling further west than the Canadian Hurricane Centre and Environment Canada are (still) forecasting. I did see one post, whether it from an amateur or professional American meteorologist, last night and again this morning, predicting this happening as Chris interacts with a trough and jetstream over the area.

The AMEC meterologist just predicted a landfall on the western Avalon peninsula near Placentia (as opposed to the hurricane centre predicting a brush along cape race). This would then put the strongest winds over St. John's, as well as quite a bit more rain than predicted.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 2:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lucky you.......

Meanwhile pretty much a perfect day in Moncton. A high of 23C is predicted with relatively low humidity and partial cloud.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 7:04 PM

So far not so bad. The Burin and Bonavista Peninsulas are being destroyed by rain right now, but winds are only just starting to pick up in St. John's with no rain whatsoever.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 8:17 PM

A warm 30c here , (14) next 3 days heating up to 32, 33, 34 then normal mid July temps of 27/28

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:20 PM

Lol, not quite, Castlegar’s normal high is 27.5C, so it’s almost 10 degrees above your normal highs. I understand what you meant though
Also, dry heat is much much less oppressive than heavily humid heat, so I can understand not having heat warnings for those temps, especially when your overnight lows are pretty chilly at 11C and 12C. Our lows during heat waves are usually at least mid 20s with those kind of highs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
A summery 7 days coming up for Castlegar with no heat warning because these are normal summer temperatures for us. Only Lytton BC has a hotter forecast in Canada that I can find. It’s actually a tie if you add them all together we just don’t have a 37.

Lytton

35 33 33 37 37 34 34

Castlegar

33 35 33 35 36 36 35

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:54 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Lol, not quite, Castlegar’s normal high is 27.5C, so it’s almost 10 degrees above your normal highs. I understand what you meant though
Also, dry heat is much much less oppressive than heavily humid heat, so I can understand not having heat warnings for those temps, especially when your overnight lows are pretty chilly at 11C and 12C. Our lows during heat waves are usually at least mid 20s with those kind of highs!
Ya normal for summer not normal for today.
Dry heat is easier but I was surprised Medicine Hat had a heat warning for lower temperatures with dry heat. And they're no stranger to 30C.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 10:11 PM

It wouldn't trigger a heat warning in Southern Ontario as lows have to be above 20C, for multiple days I believe, for a heat warning to be issued.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:41 AM

Yes, the heat warnings are often due to the lows. Makes it really uncomfortable for sleeping if you don't have air conditioning.

Weather feel can be very subjective. When I was out in BC last year it was 35 every day, full sun and felt great. It dropped to 12 every night, but felt nice and refreshing to sit outside late into the evening wearing a hoodie (added bonus there was still light til nearly 11pm). Here in Ontario, just the other night it dropped to 15, my friends and I were outside having a few beers and literally shivering.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 3:21 AM

I am curious which part of the southern interior you stayed?

Just wondering because lows of 11 and 12 during 35+ heat waves sounds low for many areas. Overnight lows vary wildly from valley to valley (and even within valleys).

For example overnight lows in Thompson Vallley, Fraser Canyon, and parts of the Okanagan Valley are usually more between 15 and 20 during such heat waves. Whereas the Kootney Valleys and Rocky Mountain Trench tend to cool down to 11 and 12 most nights no matter what.

Also the Kelowna airport has the coolest over night lows of any weather station in the Okanagan Valley (including the two other official Kelowna weather stations).

So good example of how much overnight lows can vary in the southern interior is July 2017 given all the heat waves:

Peachland: Low 18.0 (7 nights 20+)
Osoyoos: Low 16.4 (7 night 20+)
Warfield (Trail): Low 12.9 (0 nights 20+)

Also it is interesting how relative weather can be.

People from the BC Coast call Ontario / Quebec humid
People from the interior of BC call the BC Coast humid
People from Alberta will call the Okanagan humid (yes, I have heard this a few times)

And nobody knows humid until you spend summer in east Asia

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada