HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 5:33 PM

Exclamation Bribery scandal grows at Surrey city hall

Bribery scandal grows at Surrey city hall

Quote:
Apr 13, 2011 8:14 PM PT
The man who blew the whistle at Surrey, B.C., city hall over allegations of bribery by a city official suggests more people are involved in the scandal.

Developer Jack Saran has alleged that former city planner Akonyu Akolo demanded a bribe before he would approve Saran's townhouse development.

Akolo was charged with fraud and breach of trust last month after a year-long investigation.

"I want to bring these things to the surface," he said. "City hall's fully aware of this — that it's not just one person. There are more than one person."

Earlier this week, the city expanded its civil lawsuit against Akolo, adding two unnamed developers identified only as John Doe and Jane Doe.

They are accused of offering bribes to Akolo in exchange for not paying city development fees.

Handed invoice
Another woman is accused of allegedly helping Akolo hide the transactions.

Saran said he had paid more than $1 million in development fees for his 42-unit project when there suddenly was a demand for something extra in order to fast-track his application.

"I was told point blank," Saran said. "I was shocked."

He said he was handed an invoice for $31,500, which he was instructed to pay to a company called Millennium Global.

The Crown alleges the money went to Akolo.

None of the charges have been proved in court.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics