HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:57 PM

With regards to the discussion the other day about the approach from the airport...

PHL: Firms behind N.Y. High Line, Barnes Foundation & Dilworth Park could change airport's landscape

Quote:
The Philadelphia International Airport already completed millions of dollars in upgrades and renovations, most recently the updated Terminal B, but it could get a taste of and look a little bit like one of New York's popular destinations.

Four design, landscape and architecture firms on Thursday will present concept and design ideas for an airport landscape competition to create a "new and iconic" landscape at the airport, part of a joint collaboration between PHL and the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.

"The goals of the Image Maker design competition are to create an iconic PHL landscape, enhance the environmental sustainability of the airport, and provide a customer-friendly arrival and departure experience," PHS spokesman Kevin Feeley said.

"The focus areas are all landscapes visible to the traveler going to or from the airport — a scope of approximately 130 acres visible from motor vehicles or from an airplane," Feeley said. "The new design will replace the current landscape that features large areas that are both planted and naturalized."
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...olin-mnla.html

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:03 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
With regards to the discussion the other day about the approach from the airport...

PHL: Firms behind N.Y. High Line, Barnes Foundation & Dilworth Park could change airport's landscape

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...olin-mnla.html
Nice find. Cleaning up that stretch of I95 in both directions would do wonders too. So much debris on the shoulders and between the guard rails.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
looongg time reader, re: tree person. A great example of a mature dawn redwood in an urban setting is at the southeast corner of Washington Square Park as seen in Google Street View.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9462...7i13312!8i6656
Welcome welcome welcome. That's a great find. That's a nice looking tree. Do you know if it's fully grown, or is it expected to keep reaching for the sky?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Welcome welcome welcome. That's a great find. That's a nice looking tree. Do you know if it's fully grown, or is it expected to keep reaching for the sky?
That's actually a relatively young Dawn Redwood. Here are some of the more mature Dawn Redwoods at the Morris Arboretum in Chestnut Hill, which I believe were originally planted as seeds in the late 1940s or 1950s (they ultimately can reach a height of well over 100 feet)

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:25 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
In the natural setting, I think they will grow taller than when they are boxed in concrete or some artificial container. I love Morris Arboretum...have to go back soon.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
In the natural setting, I think they will grow taller than when they are boxed in concrete or some artificial container. I love Morris Arboretum...have to go back soon.
But it looks like although these will be surrounded by large raised planters, the roots may not be too restricted. The Dawn Redwood and raised planter in this rendering both look pretty big:

In any event, they'll make quite an impact.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
This is where the next tallest building in Philadelphia should go. On the north side across the street from the new park. 3001 JFK Blvd.
I believe that 3001 JFK is the site controlled by Amtrak, who last year requested proposals to help find a developer, then the developer would-------anyways, it didn't strike me that there is a mad dash to get this built. It would be built over active tracks.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
But it looks like although these will be surrounded by large raised planters, the roots may not be too restricted. The Dawn Redwood and raised planter in this rendering both look pretty big:

In any event, they'll make quite an impact.
I am pretty sure Redwood route run deep so they would easily get below the planter level, what could be more restrictive to their height would be the soil quality below, who knows what the soil is like and if any remediation would be required.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:40 PM

Well, If Amazon 2HQ goes elsewhere, Schuylkill Yards can be partially filled by Apple...

http://www.phillyvoice.com/philly-co...campus-report/

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Well, If Amazon 2HQ goes elsewhere, Schuylkill Yards can be partially filled by Apple...

http://www.phillyvoice.com/philly-co...campus-report/
Maybe Apple will take Schuylkill Yards, and Amazon will take the 30th street district. that would take what was a seemingly decades-long pie in the sky dream and turn it into one of the largest, busiest construction sites with the tightest deadlines, in the course of 2 years.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:10 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
I just hope all this political steel and aluminum talks about tariffs won't delay these projects if/when they take shape.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
I just hope all this political steel and aluminum talks about tariffs won't delay these projects if/when they take shape.
why would it?
It's not like these are the only things that have tariffs, there are over 12,000 items that do.
We can make steel and aluminum in the US.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 6:55 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
why would it?
It's not like these are the only things that have tariffs, there are over 12,000 items that do.
Higher cost. Yes we can make it here. Skyscrapers require lots of steel and aluminum, say for a building that cost $1 billion to develop, if the they spend $200 million on steel and aluminum, and the prices are 20% more, then mathematical, it is now $240 million. An extra $40 million is nothing to sneeze at.

Re: your comment about 12k items, depends on the percentage of those things. For example, if there is tariffs on clothing and textiles, it seems to be pretty low cause clothing is inexpensive at many of the non-luxury stores like H&M, Uniqlo, Forever 21, etc.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:03 PM

Quote:
why would it?
Say Company X buys it's steel from an overseas supplier for $90. The average price of steel provided by US based steel companies is a bit higher, at $100.

We suddenly introduce tariffs that immediately make the overseas supplier's steel cost $110. So what does Company X - and every other company in its position do? They immediately want to buy American as it's *now* the cheapest option. But suddenly as the demand surges for US Steel, naturally, so does the price till it levels off somewhere near the Tariff'd overseas supplier at $110. This is a good thing for US Steelmakers, for everyone else?

So in a short time, Company X will watch it's cost of Steel skyrocket from $90 to $110. That's a huge change - which will be passed on to consumers/vendors... or take shape in unrealized projects.

EDIT: interestingly, article about this concern in today's Inquirer: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180309.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:14 PM
BANNED

I just find it funny that when obama enacted tons of tariffs, no one spoke up about it, but when trump does it, it's a fiasco.
I've been against protectionist practices forever, but am also against the trade imbalance against other countries, especially china.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
I just find it funny that when obama enacted tons of tariffs, no one spoke up about it, but when trump does it, it's a fiasco.
I've been against protectionist practices forever, but am also against the trade imbalance against other countries, especially china.
I think most people object to the petulant and petty nature under which these tariffs were announced. No broad coalition within either party, non-existent economic data, the announcement came off random and foolhearty...

Critique of Obama's infamous Chinese Tires Tarriff at link below which basically reiterates the exact case i made above. Though there's also a difference between downstream products like a Tire (a manufactured object made from rubber) and source products like Steel and aluminum (which influence THOUSANDS of industries down stream).

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/03/news...iff/index.html

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:43 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
No one is making CEOs of companies buy foreign steel over US steel. To me, it is really a consequence of capitalism and free markets. All things being equal in a product, the buyer, more often than not, is going to buy the product that is cheaper. Plus, US publicily traded companies are under pressure to squeeze out as much profit as possible as a mandate of doing business and a responsibility to shareholders. That's how the system works, like it or not.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:51 PM
build awesome buildings

Schuylkill Yards: Trees & Tariffs

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 10:52 PM

The problem isn't free trade. It's "dumping," which artificially lowers the price of steel and aluminum (long enough to greatly reduce American production capacity). I see this as a negotiating tactic since NAFTA countries were exempted and other countries can negotiate on a case by case basis -- ergo, non-dumpers aren't going to get hit as hard (if at all).

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 11:10 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
The problem isn't free trade. It's "dumping," which artificially lowers the price of steel and aluminum (long enough to greatly reduce American production capacity). I see this as a negotiating tactic since NAFTA countries were exempted and other countries can negotiate on a case by case basis -- ergo, non-dumpers aren't going to get hit as hard (if at all).
Yeah, I get that.

International trade left to its natural course without tariffs, quotas, or other restrictions.

Regardless, if a foreign company decides to sell steel at a lower price, that's there pejorative. I know we cry "unfair," but if US companies choose not to buy foreign steel, they can always buy US steel and the dumping would slow or reverse. But, there is voracious appetite for lower cost steel at the expense of US steelmaker, yes. However, the choice is with the company buying the steel. They can support US steel manufacturers or not, but again US companies that use steel must survive and be profitable so as I've said earlier no one is forcing US companies CEOs to buy foreign steel, but capitalism and profits can be a beast. Plus, I think it ultimately hurts US downstream companies that rely on it to make other commodities like vehicles, beer kegs (aluminum), and other U.S. industries that heavily use steel and aluminum.

Maybe if there's an economist on this board, s/he can chime in.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals