HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 7:04 PM

Wow.

This thread has taken an ugly turn.

It's worth noting that the children of those old people brought in to Canada (through sponsorship), are typically working and TAX-PAYING citizens (through immigration and citizenship test) or working tax-paying permanent residents.

And unless you're a refugee, immigration into Canada without having nor showing any means of how you'll financially support yourself (outside of aforementioned sponsorship) is a considerably arduous (if not impossible) proposition and also one of the hardest immigration processes in the western world.

In other words, thanks to the points system, the likelihood of Canada "importing" masses of deadbeats and people who mooch off the social welfare system is extremely low and highly unlikely.
The points system typically takes care of all those issues like language, skills they'll bring, how they'll fit in and intregrate socially as well as bring much needed (or much dreaded, depending on your point of view) diversity to the country.
That people typically end up among communities they're most comfortable in, and among whom they speak the same language (separate from the national languages) and share the same culture, is neither atypical nor unique to Canada. It happens everywhere around the world, and even south of the border.

People need to educate themselves on the immigration process to this country before spouting a whole load of ignorance.

P.S. : It's also worth noting the amusing cognitive dissonance and contradiction of hating immigrants who bring in too much money (the "foreign investor" set) and skew off the housing market and housing prices,.... on the one hand, while on the other hand also hating immigrants who allegedly bring in little or not money and mooch off of the system.
Just say you hate immigrants writ large and be done with it.
.....an odd position for someone in a country like Canada to take.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Canada doesn't import old people.

Because of age as well they are not required to have language requirements or even take a citizenship test to get their citizenship.
Yes, Canada does import old people. According to Statistica.com, 10.1% of immigrants to Canada in 2017 were 55+, 25042/247624. Also, how is it a good thing that older people aren't required to have language requirements or to take the citizenship test to become a citizen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Wow.

This thread has taken an ugly turn.

It's worth noting that the children of those old people brought in to Canada (through sponsorship), are typically working and TAX-PAYING citizens (through immigration and citizenship test) or working tax-paying permanent residents.

And unless you're a refugee, immigration into Canada without having nor showing any means of how you'll financially support yourself (outside of aforementioned sponsorship) is a considerably arduous (if not impossible) proposition and also one of the hardest immigration processes in the western world.
But why should we have old people immigrating here in the first place. Why not just take in younger people and exclude older immigrants. It's worth noting that the average immigrant who came to Canada in 2014 made $24,000 in 2015. Immigrants aren't making much money and aren't paying much in taxes. It's also important to focus on the role insourcing pays on the Canadian job market. Why should employers pay higher wages when immigrants from the third world would do your job for far less and won't complain about working conditions. Go to any Tim Hortons or A&W and the majority of the workforce is composed of immigrants. If Tim Hortons (which has a terrible track record in the field of working conditions) was only able to hire Canadian born people who demanded higher pay, Tim Hortons would either go out of business or pay up.

Quote:
In other words, thanks to the points system, the likelihood of Canada "importing" masses of deadbeats and people who mooch off the social welfare system is extremely low and highly unlikely.
The points system typically takes care of all those issues like language, skills they'll bring, how they'll fit in and intregrate socially as well as bring much needed (or much dreaded, depending on your point of view) diversity to the country.
So explain how the points system both doesn't let older people in while also letting them in without them needing to take citizenship tests? Both you and SpongeG are stating conflicting things.

Quote:
That people typically end up among communities they're most comfortable in, and among whom they speak the same language (separate from the national languages) and share the same culture, is neither atypical nor unique to Canada. It happens everywhere around the world, and even south of the border.
That's a bad thing. Creating an enclave is the opposite of what our immigration system should be doing. It completely disconnects the immigrants from the country. If immigrants want their own enclave, they should consider going back to where they came from. The fact that this kind of thing happens all over the world isn't a good thing either. It's bad enough that Canada had Quebec as a separate enclave in the 1900's, we don't need to create more.

Quote:
P.S. : It's also worth noting the amusing cognitive dissonance and contradiction of hating immigrants who bring in too much money (the "foreign investor" set) and skew off the housing market and housing prices,.... on the one hand, while on the other hand also hating immigrants who allegedly bring in little or not money and mooch off of the system.
Just say you hate immigrants writ large and be done with it.
.....an odd position for someone in a country like Canada to take.
The wealthy immigrants from China aren't bringing in money, they're just here to make money off the housing market for themselves and escape Xi's "anti-corruption" campaign. Wherever Chinese money goes the housing market explodes, (San Francisco, Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto). And it's not just Chinese people though, Russians do the same thing in London and so in. Even if Canada was completely disconnected from the outside world there would still be some inflating housing prices, but to the scale Canada is at now. Also, my hatred goes to the idea of immigration as a whole. If you want to learn more, take a history class on Native Americans or the Hawaiians.

Also I am the child of two refugees by the way

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 10:39 PM

Geeez,
The amount of ignorance in this comment is mind-blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblawsLawBlog View Post

But why should we have old people immigrating here in the first place. Why not just take in younger people and exclude older immigrants. It's worth noting that the average immigrant who came to Canada in 2014 made $24,000 in 2015. Immigrants aren't making much money and aren't paying much in taxes.
Because as it turns out, people who immigrate here happen to have parents and relatives and stuff like that whom they might want to come over since families like to be together.

And has been explained to you, and which you seem not to understand (or more likely, just don't want to), they are SPONSORED when they come here, which means the people who sponsor them (i.e. their children who immigrate here through the fully legal process) are financially responsible for them.

So you or your taxes don't pay for them.

And what's your source for that figure for how much immigrants who came in 2014 earned?

Was it just how much they earned in their first year or over the course of their stay here?

Does it take into account that their earnings don't stay stagnated as they improve their conditions and become more settled and integrated into their new society?

Or are you seriously expecting that immigrants immigrating into Canada will be making 6 figure salaries out of the gate?

Quote:
It's also important to focus on the role insourcing pays on the Canadian job market. Why should employers pay higher wages when immigrants from the third world would do your job for far less and won't complain about working conditions. Go to any Tim Hortons or A&W and the majority of the workforce is composed of immigrants. If Tim Hortons (which has a terrible track record in the field of working conditions) was only able to hire Canadian born people who demanded higher pay, Tim Hortons would either go out of business or pay up.

Something tells me you're conflating "immigrants" with brown and non-white people, and "Canadian born" with white people.

A lot of people who work at those places you've mentioned are in fact both Canadian born and also happen not to be white.

And I've also been to more than a few places where there are "immigrants" working there who are (a) white and (b) from non-third world countries (read: working and travel visas from Europe)

Regardless, I still don't understand what you're so offended by in this situation?
Is it that Tim Hortons and A & W are paying these workers too low a wage for what you think a "Canadian born" worker (whatever that is) would accept?

Or is it that it's immigrants who are willing to accept to work there, because they don't have a lot of other options open to them?

And what would you have them do? Not be allowed to hire immigrants and then the immigrants wouldn't work and not pay the taxes that you seem so offended they're (somehow) not paying or not paying enough of?

And how do you fold your brain into pretzels to get offended by both the fact that they're working (albeit at a job that pays them what you consider too little for "Canadian born" people to accept) and paying taxes, but at the same time also at the fact that they're paying too little taxes to your liking?

Quote:
So explain how the points system both doesn't let older people in while also letting them in without them needing to take citizenship tests? Both you and SpongeG are stating conflicting things.
No we're not.
It's you who's having a difficult time understanding it because you don't know what the hell you're talking about but are acting like you do.

The older people you're complaining about come to Canada by being SPONSORED ( a totally separate process) typically by people who come in through the normal immigration process and are either permanent residents or are citizens (after being permanent residents) and who themselves got in through the points system, and who I might add are working, and paying taxes (since you have to show financial proof when you sponsor someone that, you are in fact, financially capable of sustaining them).
Probably more than YOU, even.

The older people typically wouldn't get in through the points system because they likely wouldn't get enough points based on how it ranks the criteria for letting people in. (it tends to favour younger people and more educated and skilled people)

There's nothing conflicting in what we said.
You just have a hard time understanding it because you've never bothered to educate yourself on the process or more simply have never gone through it nor know anyone who has.

Quote:
That's a bad thing. Creating an enclave is the opposite of what our immigration system should be doing. It completely disconnects the immigrants from the country. If immigrants want their own enclave, they should consider going back to where they came from. The fact that this kind of thing happens all over the world isn't a good thing either. It's bad enough that Canada had Quebec as a separate enclave in the 1900's, we don't need to create more.
So forced assimilation and integration is what you're advocating?
How would you carry this out, exactly?
And how well do you think that that's worked in the history of mankind when it's been tried anywhere in the world?

And in any case, this is a non-issue.
n two or three generations, most immigrant children and grand-children usually end up being fully socially and culturally integrated into their society with nothing other than a cultural identity linking them to their parent's or grandparent's home country of origin.
So society naturally takes care of the "problem".

But to expect that first generation immigrants will or should automatically integrate or they should not immigrate at all is frankly speaking, silly.

Quote:
The wealthy immigrants from China aren't bringing in money, they're just here to make money off the housing market for themselves and escape Xi's "anti-corruption" campaign. Wherever Chinese money goes the housing market explodes, (San Francisco, Auckland, Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto). And it's not just Chinese people though, Russians do the same thing in London and so in. Even if Canada was completely disconnected from the outside world there would still be some inflating housing prices, but to the scale Canada is at now. Also, my hatred goes to the idea of immigration as a whole. If you want to learn more, take a history class on Native Americans or the Hawaiians.

Also I am the child of two refugees by the way

You know, this was all you needed to say.
(Not that it wasn't already clear from your comments).

Leaving aside the blinding (and frankly speaking, hilarious) irony of someone who says they're a child of two refugees proudly proclaiming how much they hate the idea of immigration as a whole, I really don't think you're making your point by pointing to Native Americans and Hawaiians as examples of why immigration is bad, considering all the historical context you're leaving out of why their societies suffered from newcomers to their lands versus how different the situation is with a modern immigration system.
But alas, that would require far more nuance and introspection than I fear you're capable of.

Suffice it to say, this discussion thread has been derailed enough from the topic that was being discussed, and I'm not going to respond any more, towards this particular issue.

All I'll say to leave it is this: you seem not to know what the hell you're talking about vis-a-vis the immigration process, and immigrants in Canada despite what seems to be your blinding hatred for both them and the process in general, and while I would suggest you at least take the time to inform and educate yourself, I fear that that's just a wasted effort, so let's agree to disagree and just leave this here where it's at.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2018, 11:38 PM

I just want to thank Spr0ckets for a great response and point out I agree 100% with everything said by Spr0ckets!

Also, the following video link may open some eyes to the system we have compared to America: http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1081015875757/

This video was also a really well-produced video about our system for further clarification: https://youtu.be/Qk9Otw6ajN0

There are a ton of Canadians that live in this country who immigrated here with literally a garbage bag and have contributed immensely to making this country great. They all pay their way in taxes and contribute to the community in so many ways. Please educate your self before viewing people that immigrate here like they are here to take advantage of the system.

I hope this thread gets back on track soon.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:57 AM

Switching back to less unpleasant and more relevant on-topic stuff....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

I have no issue with the mall parking lots being redevloped (this includes the former Sears and likely also the former Target spaces). I don't agree with redeveloping the mall itself.

I believe this should more or less put to rest the question of whether the mall (Metropolis) is planning to demolish and/or put a tower in the place of the old Target/Zellers space as we had been discussing in one of these threads (I can't quite locate it now) some time back.

I hadn't been to the mall in a while and I was able to get a snap of this, showing what the plan for that anchor tenant space is....

With a major anchor tenant like Walmart (I originally figured it would be too small to house a typical Walmart store. I guess I was wrong), it would seem they're in it for the long haul and it's doubtful any prospective Metrotower IV will be going there any time soon.

(*I'll also go on a wild guess and speculate that a T&T in the basement below this with no 'demolish' clause in their lease agreement probably also played a part in finding another tenant rather than going the redevelop route.)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 9:42 AM

Hmm, I'd have expected Walmart moving into Metrotown would have made for a few headlines, but I see nothing of the sort, nor any mention on the mall's website. Has this officially been announced? Maybe the signs went up prematurely.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
Hmm, I'd have expected Walmart moving into Metrotown would have made for a few headlines, but I see nothing of the sort, nor any mention on the mall's website. Has this officially been announced? Maybe the signs went up prematurely.
I know what you mean. All I could find was jobs listed on Workopolis and they went live today (no info on starting date).

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
It's possible.

Regardless, the signs are up outside the old Target (in the inside and on the second floor, at least), and "Fall 2018" could mean anything as soon as in 2 months time or possibly in four.

More than enough time for them to get their ducks in a row and sort themselves out.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 6:49 PM

so metrotown is getting a walmart? thats the big US retailer someone teased about? That store will be bonkers busy.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:

I believe this should more or less put to rest the question of whether the mall (Metropolis) is planning to demolish and/or put a tower in the place of the old Target/Zellers space as we had been discussing in one of these threads (I can't quite locate it now) some time back.

I hadn't been to the mall in a while and I was able to get a snap of this, showing what the plan for that anchor tenant space is....

With a major anchor tenant like Walmart (I originally figured it would be too small to house a typical Walmart store. I guess I was wrong), it would seem they're in it for the long haul and it's doubtful any prospective Metrotower IV will be going there any time soon.

(*I'll also go on a wild guess and speculate that a T&T in the basement below this with no 'demolish' clause in their lease agreement probably also played a part in finding another tenant rather than going the redevelop route.)
That literately went up in the last day, because I was there two days ago and it was just painted blue.

Speaking of other developments, my apartment building now has one of those rezoning hearings. Developer thinks taping notes to doors is somehow equivalent to hand delivery.

http://www.accordeproperties.com/marlborough.html

Old Posted Jun 17, 2018, 9:03 PM

Yeah, I saw that rezoning sign board on Marlborough.

We were actually talking about that rezoning application and project proposal on here a couple of weeks ago, and it's the one where the client had wanted to have a mix of a market tower and a shorter non-market rental tower with the land still owned by the developer but the rental tower run by an separate entity - which is something the city just wasn't going to go for.

I believe one of the folks working on the project who's a forum member was talking about it, and he (or she)'ll probably chime in if I'm getting anything wrong.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 2:42 AM

Nope, you're right on Sprockets. That exactly the deal.

Sorry to hear Kisai, but there are new players involved in your building's rezoning so things should go smoother than they have so far.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:39 AM

In other Marlborough-ish news, the Safeway on Kingsway and Royal Oak is shutting down and closing permanently in a little over two weeks on the 5th of July.

Does anyone know of any possible redevelopment plans for that site?

Seems like a really prime location for some major mixed used type development with the Kingsway and Royal Oak junction.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
so metrotown is getting a walmart? thats the big US retailer someone teased about? That store will be bonkers busy.
Yes, looks like this is now official.
This has been circulating for a while among stores in the mall. I heard there is some specific clause in new lease contract store has to agree.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 7:08 AM

Quote:
In other Marlborough-ish news, the Safeway on Kingsway and Royal Oak is shutting down and closing permanently in a little over two weeks on the 5th of July.

Does anyone know of any possible redevelopment plans for that site?

Seems like a really prime location for some major mixed used type development with the Kingsway and Royal Oak junction.
I don't know anything specific, but I do know that it's part of the Royal Oak Urban Village.

Quote:
"Urban Villages are designated to accommodate non-Town Centre multi-family development associated with a commercial area. The commercial areas are intended to provide a focal point for convenient and close to home access to commercial facilities and services"
The updated land use map from 2016 shows "medium density mixed use" - in other words low-rise, prob retail ground floor with a couple floors of office or residential above.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
Yes, looks like this is now official.
This has been circulating for a while among stores in the mall. I heard there is some specific clause in new lease contract store has to agree.
What does that mean, exactly?

It'll be interesting to see how their presence affects the rest of the mall, and specifically that wing they're located in since I'd imagine they're going to be operating in a more independent manner relative the the usual mall operating hours sort of how the Superstore does on the other side of the mall (they're usually open for much later after the rest of the mall closes.

I guess that will mean the access from Central Blvd. may act as the main or primary entrance and that could also allow them to be open later than mall hours (I doubt they'll be 24 hours. I don't believe any of Vancouver's Walmart's are 24 hours, are they?)

But that wing is certainly going to be bonkers with foot traffic with a T&T in the basement and a Walmart on the ground and 2nd floor above them.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:48 PM

[QUOTE=BobLoblawsLawBlog;8222138]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post

The point being you shouldn't be allowed to immigrate to Canada if you don't speak English for French (or by any chance you speak an indigenous language). If many people of an area don't speak the language of the area they reside in it creates a segregated community, as people are unable to communicate with each other. Like you said yourself, they live in a bubble, and this happens on a larger scale when entire communities live in bubbles, also known as an enclave. If you can't speak a Canadian language, you aren't Canadian, stop deluding yourself. If I moved to Tonga without speaking any Tongan, lived in my own "bubble" and made the only way for people to communicate with me via a translator, a sure as hell wouldn't be a Tongan.

We can also see what happens when people who live together don't speak together. Quebec and Acadia are separtated from the rest of Canada because they speak French. This is mostly a bad thing as there is a kind of hostility between Francophones and Anglophones. There is a clear divide in the country, a sort of segregation, rather than unity.

Another thing is Canada shouldn't be importing old people who take more than give in government money. Things such as health care aren't free, and older people don't work, which means they are giving very little back to the government in taxes than they are giving back.
So I suppose in the 1800s-1900s, the Poles, Czechs, Scandinavians, Dutch, Germans, Italians, Spanish, Portuguese, Greeks, Russians, Swiss, Belgians, Romanians,etc. should not have been allowed into this country? As far as I know, most didn't speak English, French or any of the hundreds of the native languages.

Maybe the Normans and Saxons should not have been allowed into the British Isles as they did not speak English then?

Like it or not, as long as the world keeps revolving, we keep evolving. Nothing is constant.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:

Good news! That would be the to-go Walmart for me to go after it opens! So long Surrey Central and Lougheed Walmarts!

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:15 PM

i'm sure now Translink/City of Burnaby will build a new pedestrian overpass (or 2 or 3) over Central Boulevard to deal with all the extra people. Right?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 9:57 PM

Quote:
What does that mean, exactly?

It'll be interesting to see how their presence affects the rest of the mall, and specifically that wing they're located in since I'd imagine they're going to be operating in a more independent manner relative the the usual mall operating hours sort of how the Superstore does on the other side of the mall (they're usually open for much later after the rest of the mall closes.

I guess that will mean the access from Central Blvd. may act as the main or primary entrance and that could also allow them to be open later than mall hours (I doubt they'll be 24 hours. I don't believe any of Vancouver's Walmart's are 24 hours, are they?)

But that wing is certainly going to be bonkers with foot traffic with a T&T in the basement and a Walmart on the ground and 2nd floor above them.
I think all walmarts in the Vancouver area are open till 11:00 pm, sometimes in December they will stay open till 12, while some will do 24 hrs.

Hopefully they have a McDonalds the other one on the mall is one constant lineup.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley