HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:47 PM

The 84 running all day will be a huge benefit to those of us getting to the Dockyard from Sackville at non-peak hours. I hope they keep the same frequency at peak hours that they have now. The 182 will help with some of the load from Cobequid in the mornings.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 10:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 12:39 PM

Looks like commuter rail is dead in the water for now. Sounds like council didn't think it would work given the amount of control CN has over the rail infrastructure.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Looks like commuter rail is dead in the water for now. Sounds like council didn't think it would work given the amount of control CN has over the rail infrastructure.
OMG... you're kidding me.

I guess I have to agree with Keith now - we need to get some council members in there that actually want the city to succeed....

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 3:11 PM

That's the problem with half-measures. If you want to be cheap, there will be consequences one way or another. (Which is fine if everything works, but then you don't get to complain about those consequences)

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 4:21 PM

I don't want them to be cheap. I want them to make it happen.

Honestly, I've been supportive of improving bike transportation, but IMHO this should be of much higher priority than bike lanes... and it would also help bicyclists who commute as well.

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019...-proposal.html

IMHO, everybody who lives in Halifax and cares about this has to complain to their councilors... now. These guys are really disappointing.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:11 PM

Here's the worst part - because the city signed a NDA with CN during the discussions, they won't release any of the details to allow people to see what might have been the sticking points or determine other possible courses of action. All we know are a few vague statements like "I could not in good conscience agree to the deal proposed" and other platitudes.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 7:12 PM

Ugh.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Here's the worst part - because the city signed a NDA with CN during the discussions, they won't release any of the details to allow people to see what might have been the sticking points or determine other possible courses of action. All we know are a few vague statements like "I could not in good conscience agree to the deal proposed" and other platitudes.
I feel like it came down to the city operating transit on lines that would be completely controlled by CN, even if they added new lines. What good is a transit option if another company - that has no real interest in commuter rail - determines how and when you can use the lines?

One point I've seen raised is that there isn't as much density along the Bedford Highway as there is a bit off it -- Larry Uteck, Clayton Park West and in Bedford itself. A BRT system that gives more direct service to those areas (and that services the core, instead of the periphery of downtown) would be far more convenient for people. Throw in some bus lanes through the Windsor Exchange to bypass the parking lot, limited stops, and you suddenly have a viable alternative to driving that can grow with the city.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 11:12 AM

If there had been any foresight by HRM it would have been relatively easy to do some sort of dedicated transit route from those areas, likely bus or light rail or a combo system. You have the existing Dunbrack corridor and you also have/had the abandoned rail ROW from the end of that roughly paralleling the 102 down to Joe Howe which is now a trail. Presto, you're on the peninsula. If it was BRT then you are most of the way there already and just need a way to/from the downtown.

I can already hear the anguished screams of the cyclist activists at the prospect of a trail ROW being used for the greater good.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 2:37 PM

Do the feds not have any control over rail service in our country anymore? Is it possible to get them in on this to help move it along?

I dunno... regardless of the situation, it seems a little negligent to just shut down the idea without pursuing it further. The ROW is there, and one would think there must be a way to work around it.

There was recently an agreement reached to improve the container terminal situation using rail, so I'm thinking if it can be done to improve the moving of containers, why can we not also achieve some method of moving people using the same ROW??

It is the lack of details which make it more difficult to accept, though. The way it looks now, we will be tied to depending on diesel buses on existing roadways to eternity, despite the fact that Halifax is growing by leaps and bounds. There seems to be no vision that will carry us into the future, only enough political will to see what will work for in 4-year blocks to hopefully have good enough optics to get elected again...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I feel like it came down to the city operating transit on lines that would be completely controlled by CN, even if they added new lines. What good is a transit option if another company - that has no real interest in commuter rail - determines how and when you can use the lines?

One point I've seen raised is that there isn't as much density along the Bedford Highway as there is a bit off it -- Larry Uteck, Clayton Park West and in Bedford itself. A BRT system that gives more direct service to those areas (and that services the core, instead of the periphery of downtown) would be far more convenient for people. Throw in some bus lanes through the Windsor Exchange to bypass the parking lot, limited stops, and you suddenly have a viable alternative to driving that can grow with the city.
Many of the GO, EXO and even the WCE uses CP trackage. This is likely more down to not reaching an amicable agreement than CN simply saying "No".

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure