HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Here is another rendering from the article
The caption for that image that you posted in the article says that it is a separate 7-story building that Westfield wants to build.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryCreek View Post
We all have to weigh whats important to us as far as life style, size home, etc. Many tens of thousands of current Denver /metro residents will doubtlessly leave, based on some mix of "too expensive", "too crowded", "too cold", "too dry" and something "better" is available, using the values that are important to them.

That's just fine, and how it should be. If I were 25 and not from Denver, given Denver's cost I too might very well look for alternatives, though most of the cities I like are probably more expensive than Denver, lol.
Both cities are either 1st or 2nd for airline traffic traffic between the cities; there's a lot of synergies between the two; people relocating all the time between the two.

I think Sam Fox wants to open more restaurants in Denver. Have you ever eaten at True Food Kitchen (which he has since sold) or North Italia in Cherry Creek? I see where Businessden broke the news of Flower Child opening in the CC Mall near Macy's. Blanco Tacos & Tequila and Culinary Dropout are designated for 9th and Colorado.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 5:32 PM

Nice Market Station update on DenverInfill: https://denverinfill.com/blog/2019/0...update-10.html

I feel like this is one of the city's most exciting and trans-formative projects that no one is talking about. I imagine once retailers and restaurants are announced the excitement will build. This along with the 18th & Market project will inject a lot of life into an otherwise dull part of downtown, the edge between the vibrant areas of Lodo around Union Station and along Wazee, Larimer Square and the Ballpark District bars along Blake, Market and Larimer north of 20th.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Nice Market Station update on DenverInfill: https://denverinfill.com/blog/2019/0...update-10.html

I feel like this is one of the city's most exciting and trans-formative projects that no one is talking about. I imagine once retailers and restaurants are announced the excitement will build. This along with the 18th & Market project will inject a lot of life into an otherwise dull part of downtown, the edge between the vibrant areas of Lodo around Union Station and along Wazee, Larimer Square and the Ballpark District bars along Blake, Market and Larimer north of 20th.
Yep, agreed. I walked by the site yesterday and also noticed the 1600 Market hotel site has construction fencing up and the parking lot is being ripped up.......

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:41 PM

Anyone here live by sloan's lake? There's a pretty nice new development proposed at 17th and Newton that some of the neighbors are absolutely trying to block. It's got 50%+ affordable units but people are literally throwing block parties (where block is used in the sense that they want to block the development) to stop it.

https://17thandnewton.com/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Anyone here live by sloan's lake? There's a pretty nice new development proposed at 17th and Newton that some of the neighbors are absolutely trying to block. It's got 50%+ affordable units but people are literally throwing block parties (where block is used in the sense that they want to block the development) to stop it.
I think this scale feels pretty appropriate for the neighborhood, which has some nice density now that the former hospital site has been filling in. Were these same neighbors vehemently against the Lakehouse condos in the planning stages? That building looks to be about 13 stories, so I could see it causing a similar freakout in the local NIMBY crowd. I'm curious if there were concessions by the developer, height reductions, etc.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
I think this scale feels pretty appropriate for the neighborhood, which has some nice density now that the former hospital site has been filling in. Were these same neighbors vehemently against the Lakehouse condos in the planning stages? That building looks to be about 13 stories, so I could see it causing a similar freakout in the local NIMBY crowd. I'm curious if there were concessions by the developer, height reductions, etc.
I'd say 50% affordable is a pretty decent concession...

This is going to Council on the 24th! If you care about responsible development please, please show up, write a letter to Council, or do whatever you can to support this project. The NIMBYs are going to come out in force for this one.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:26 PM

I'll echo that. The NIMBYs have a really good chance at killing this. If you can make it to city council, please DM me.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1530 View Post

This is going to Council on the 24th! If you care about responsible development please, please show up, write a letter to Council, or do whatever you can to support this project. The NIMBYs are going to come out in force for this one.
Oh I agree! But I don't think a selfish group of neighbors who are fighting to reduce density (which in turn limits supply and contributes to the affordability crisis) are really going to care about that concession. Do I have to live in the immediate neighborhood to show up and voice support?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:

Really will add a lot quality to LoDo. In two to three years you'll have the Market Street development, the new Market Street hotel across the street, the 1637 Blake Hotel, and McGregor Square (Coors Field Development) and Dairy Block.

That's a great hotel/entertainment district, with room for more (yes we are looking at YOU Block 39!!). All that's missing is Tabor 2 a couple blocks away!

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2007/0...wn-denver.html

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:21 PM

You're not there to convince the NIMBYs but to convince council members that they are not the most vocal constituency. If you live in the hood it helps, but your council person and two at large council people will be voting.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
I think it's appropriate considering the recent dense development south of 17th between Perry and Stuart. If you haven't been over there in awhile it looks completely different than it did 2-3 years ago. It looks like most of the projects are winding down with the exception of Denver Metro Village which is a renovation of that 18 story senior living tower and a new parking garage and 4 story wrap of additional senior units over retail space at Colfax & Raleigh. It starts later this summer.

Last edited by BG918; Jun 18, 2019 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:07 PM

Landmark application submitted for Tom’s Diner site, against property owner’s wishes

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
there's no way anybody here who is telling the "nimbys" that their voice is worthless in sloan's lake should support keeping this building here at all.

this is so absurd. we advocate for destroying neighborhoods that are 100 years old and we want to keep this here for what? nevermind that what you're destroying in the neighborhoods could have been built in the 1880s, we're here to save a diner building where density really needs to be considered.

i'm glad these people feel like this is important to save because it's part of what they think makes denver denver. forget about anything that actually involves people though.

if they really want to save this building, they should move somewhere more appropriate. we supposedly have a housing crisis on our hands, or so i keep hearing. the omelette museum can go along with the joke that's the molly brown house. historic denver inc or whatever it is has got to be the biggest joke around.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 1:56 PM

the developers for these huge density changing developments should concede more than just affordable housing. the residents getting displaced by density should have a fund set aside for them. not to mention the quality of life changes that occur when a bunch of tower cranes show up next door.

i have a small project of about nine new townhouses next to me being built and the noise and traffic with the construction trucks and all have been annoying. i couldn't imagine how i'd live with a five year mega block going next door. i hear saws buzzing as i type this and couldn't go outside yesterday for a good while because of the beeping of some sort from the site that wouldn't end. what if this were 50 times the scale? what would we as neighbors be able to do? we could never go outside ever again. forget about our plants and open windows with all of the construction dust flying around.

ya'll blast the "nimbys" not wanting to be live in giant construction zones, but honestly, why wouldn't they show up to speak when they know they're about to get a giant meteor dropped on their neighborhood with little given to them other than "affordable housing". the density game is a big scam. simply a redistribution of the land where the developers seem to get the greatest payoff. if this were truly responsible they'd be building a monorail or some shit from the development to union station. i'm guessing they won't be doing shit for transportation so everybody in these "affordable" units will be ubering around. sounds responsible indeed.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1530 View Post
I would think the odds are good this passes and the affordable mix is where many councilors can hang their hat if they need a place. Plus this is still the 'old' council which I'd assume is another small plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldurhamer View Post
i'm glad these people feel like this is important to save because it's part of what they think makes denver denver. forget about anything that actually involves people though.
I'm unbothered by those who wish to try, primarily because they have only two chances: slim and none. But no harm in trying if they have nothing better to do.

Stadium District Master Plan

Sachs/Denverite has good coverage of the Denver City Council passing the Stadium District Master Plan on Monday.
Quote:
The Denver City Council approved a 20-year vision Monday

It aims to energize the area year-round by building a new neighborhood over the next 20 years. The 90-page vision sets the tone of — and opens the gates to — development.
Sachs probing for clarification.
Quote:
The blueprint recommends things but doesn’t require them....

Jason Whitlock, project manager with Denver Community Planning and Development, said the document is a guide, not a rigid prescription. “The first step to make this (development) environment happen is the plan itself,” Whitlock said. “I don’t want to diminish the plan as a guiding document.”
While Urbanists like to throw around lots of play money, real world developers have to commit real risk capital. But if you think about it their visions needn't be inconsistent. The goal of the Stadium District is to maximize ground lease payments. While I'm skeptical they'll be anti-car certainly being car-lite is realistic I'd think.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:35 PM

Quote:
the developers for these huge density changing developments should concede more than just affordable housing. the residents getting displaced by density should have a fund set aside for them. not to mention the quality of life changes that occur when a bunch of tower cranes show up next door.
The area between Colfax and 17th ave in west Denver should be up-zoned for medium-high density. The perfect areas for more dense development are along major transit corridors.

How many people would you guess are being displaced by a vacant parking lot? The nature of construction is that it's temporary.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:42 PM

Quote:

i have a small project of about nine new townhouses next to me being built and the noise and traffic with the construction trucks and all have been annoying. i couldn't imagine how i'd live with a five year mega block going next door. i hear saws buzzing as i type this and couldn't go outside yesterday for a good while because of the beeping of some sort from the site that wouldn't end. what if this were 50 times the scale? what would we as neighbors be able to do? we could never go outside ever again. forget about our plants and open windows with all of the construction dust flying around.

ya'll blast the "nimbys" not wanting to be live in giant construction zones, but honestly, why wouldn't they show up to speak when they know they're about to get a giant meteor dropped on their neighborhood with little given to them other than "affordable housing". the density game is a big scam. simply a redistribution of the land where the developers seem to get the greatest payoff. if this were truly responsible they'd be building a monorail or some shit from the development to union station. i'm guessing they won't be doing shit for transportation so everybody in these "affordable" units will be ubering around. sounds responsible indeed.
I don't think anyone here is advocating that we keep a mediocre diner around against the wishes of the owner. Can you go sow seeds of disharmony elsewhere today? I thought that we had been spared your gratuitous daily infusions of negative and unproductive energy.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
I suppose that "historical", like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. Suffice to say that I think whatever historical value this "diner" has is outweighed by value of creating housing and density near the core of the city.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 4:15 PM

Very happy to see the stadium district plans going through..... That area would be perfect for TOD given the W line is right there. The article does a great job highlighting how this will blend into the River Mile to create a large swath of new neighborhoods. Also, given the edge of River Mile connects with Union Station and LoDo...... man what a city Denver would become......

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West