HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jul 3, 2008, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Officials of the city-run airport Wednesday got initial approval to expand one of Hartsfield-Jackson's five runways in anticipation of more international flights once the merger is approved.

The runway expansion means Hartsfield-Jackson would be able to handle more 400-passenger Boeing 747s, specifically 747-400s, which is the workhorse of Northwest Airlines' international fleet.

"We expect more large aircraft to be moved here from Detroit [after the merger]," airport deputy general manager Mario Diaz said in an interview after the city Transportation Committee gave its nod to spend $3 million for the design phase of the runway expansion.

"We have not made any specifics commitments or announcement regarding any additional international service out of the Atlanta airport related to the merger," said Delta spokeswoman Susan Elliott. She said the airline wanted runway 9L 27R lengthened to accommodate Delta flights headed to distant locations.

"This request has been in place for some time, and it's specifically related to the 777s," she said, noting that Delta would like the runway project completed by 2009.

The runway, the first of three southern runways from the terminal, is about 11,890 feet. The airport wants to add 500 feet to its eastern end and possibly another 900 feet on the western side. Diaz said he did not have a cost for the runway project.

Big jets can now take off from Hartsfield-Jackson with a full load of fuel, cargo and passengers during most weather conditions, Diaz told the Transportation Committee. But in extremely hot weather, they have to shed fuel or cargo. That means the airline loses revenue on cargo or the aircraft has to stop to refuel on a long trip.

AJC
I was wondering if this part of the airport expansion plan fell by the wayside. The plan, IIRC, was to do almost exactly as they mentioned, and lengthen the runway to at least 13,300 ft. NWA's 747s need that kind of a runway to regularly make those transpacific flights, which are a huge market not just for passenger operations, but even moreso from cargo. NWA is the passenger airline with the largest cargo operation as well, and their market in Asia is huge. Lengthening the western end of the runway would require relocation of the remote parking lot there. They oughta just tear that whole thing up and move it across I-85 and lengthen 9R-27L as well, to probably 10,000 ft.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2008, 7:19 PM

Luxury Retailers Fly To Hartsfield-Jackson

Thursday, July 3, 2008
Luxury retailers, including Salvatore Ferragamo, Bulgari, Ermenegildo Zegna, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers, and Vera Bradley among others will be opening at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in the coming months. Luxury stores have had great success in European and Asian markets where mall shopping is less frequent and there are fewer malls altogether. This will be a first for the American market. Other U.S. airports such as John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and San Francisco International Airport are also adding luxury stores to their airport retail offerings

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 8:38 PM

Hartsfield-Jackson gets new people movers

By ALISON YOUNG
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/12/08

A 150-foot boom crane lifted four new people mover cars onto an elevated train track outside Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on Saturday morning.

The construction feat is the latest milestone toward the scheduled November 2009 completion of the airport's new remote Consolidated Rental Car Facility.

"When people are riding on the system, they're going to get a great view of the city, the airport and the layout of the airport," said Robert Kennedy, the airport's assistant general manager for security, operations and maintenance, as he watched the first of the cars rise up to the track through the early morning fog.

The cars, manufactured by Mitsubishi, left Osaka, Japan on a cargo ship last month, and recently arrived at the Port of Savannah. They were transported to Atlanta on flat-bed trucks, said airport spokesman Al Snedeker.

The new outdoor people mover system is part of the $266 million new rental agency complex located adjacent to the world's busiest airport off of Camp Creek Parkway. Construction began in October 2005.

By the numbers

37,260 pounds — Weight of each people mover car

$3 million — Cost per car

12 —Total cars that will eventually be installed

1.6 miles — Length of people mover track

5 minutes — Time the ride will take from the airport terminal to a new rental car facility

10,000 — Passengers per hour the system will be able to move

120 — Number of rental car shuttle buses to be eliminated from congested airport traffic when the system is completed

Old Posted Jul 12, 2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
By ALISON YOUNG
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/12/08

A 150-foot boom crane lifted four new people mover cars onto an elevated train track outside Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on Saturday morning.

The construction feat is the latest milestone toward the scheduled November 2009 completion of the airport's new remote Consolidated Rental Car Facility.

"When people are riding on the system, they're going to get a great view of the city, the airport and the layout of the airport," said Robert Kennedy, the airport's assistant general manager for security, operations and maintenance, as he watched the first of the cars rise up to the track through the early morning fog.

The cars, manufactured by Mitsubishi, left Osaka, Japan on a cargo ship last month, and recently arrived at the Port of Savannah. They were transported to Atlanta on flat-bed trucks, said airport spokesman Al Snedeker.

The new outdoor people mover system is part of the $266 million new rental agency complex located adjacent to the world's busiest airport off of Camp Creek Parkway. Construction began in October 2005.

By the numbers

37,260 pounds — Weight of each people mover car

$3 million — Cost per car

12 —Total cars that will eventually be installed

1.6 miles — Length of people mover track

5 minutes — Time the ride will take from the airport terminal to a new rental car facility

10,000 — Passengers per hour the system will be able to move

120 — Number of rental car shuttle buses to be eliminated from congested airport traffic when the system is completed
I can't wait for everything to be done. I'm just gonna ride Marta down there to see it for the heck of it when everything is completed.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 4:33 PM

Quote:
07-04-2008 03:19 PM
micropundit Thursday, July 3, 2008
Luxury retailers, including Salvatore Ferragamo, Bulgari, Ermenegildo Zegna, Lacoste, Brooks Brothers, and Vera Bradley among others will be opening at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport in the coming months. Luxury stores have had great success in European and Asian markets where mall shopping is less frequent and there are fewer malls altogether. This will be a first for the American market. Other U.S. airports such as John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and San Francisco International Airport are also adding luxury stores to their airport retail offerings

Where are all these retailers going? I mean, if there is that much vacant space in the airport than why are they risking starting new stores? Was new space created in the Atrium or on the concourses with the latest renovations?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 8:01 PM

These new concepts will largely be replacements of existing retail locations. There really isn't any new space @ ATL for concessions. I think there may be a bit left in Conc E, but that's about it. With such a large and captive audience, I suspect most, if not all, will do rather well. Those in the Atrium could be in jeopardy of missing sales targets, though, because many travelers just want to get through security, especially if the lines are long (or perceived to be).

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 8:42 PM

None of the retail mentioned would go into the atrium. The AJC article indicated that the most high-end stores would go into concourse A (the busiest).

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jul 17, 2008 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 1:31 AM

Do they have those express security lines at HJIA yet? If not when will they get them?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 5:34 PM
Atlanta Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Do they have those express security lines at HJIA yet? If not when will they get them?
There is a fabulous express lane for Airline and Airport employees that I just love. There is also an express lane if you are flying in First or Business class on any airline flying out of HJAIA. But I don’t think there is one for the general public / Coach class and I don’t know when or if ever they will be added.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 5:59 PM

The Airport recently approved the installation of express security lanes for the Registered Traveler program. There was some early opposition to the plan, but seems they worked through the issues. Here is a link to a recent blurb in USA Today: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...n_N.htm?csp=34

Old Posted Jul 15, 2008, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLonthebrain View Post
The Airport recently approved the installation of express security lanes for the Registered Traveler program.
Thanks, that's exactly what I was talking about. I'd seen this article and was wondering if it was open for business yet.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 2:18 AM

Guys,
I was checking out Hartsfield on Google maps and the images seem to have been from the previous six months because you can see the new rental facility people mover under construction. But I also noticed that there is major sitework being done on the exact piece of land slated to be the new south terminal. I thought this was five to ten years away from actually happening. Are they getting a head start or something?

The Google veiw from above:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...26951&t=h&z=16

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post
Guys,
I was checking out Hartsfield on Google maps and the images seem to have been from the previous six months because you can see the new rental facility people mover under construction. But I also noticed that there is major sitework being done on the exact piece of land slated to be the new south terminal. I thought this was five to ten years away from actually happening. Are they getting a head start or something?

The Google veiw from above:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...26951&t=h&z=16
Just leveling that area. There's a MULTITUDE of elevations.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 3:33 AM

So they are preping the site then?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompuss View Post

So they are preping the site then?
Not for construction of concourses. I would highly doubt that we'll see those concourses ever get built. Given the current disastrous climate for airlines and the consolidation/liquidation/elimination of those airlines, I would bet Hartsfield is set for space for the next decade or two. Who knows if Delta will even make it? They may survive but I can see a day where half their flights are gone at Hartsfield as part of that survival. You can only bleed billions of dollars for so long unless you're the government before someone knocks on your door with a bill.

Last edited by ThrashATL; Jul 16, 2008 at 4:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 4:03 PM
Reliable Source

ThrashATL,

Thanks for your realistic assessment. We need more of that here. That pre-developed parcel will prove valuable for something in the future, perhaps as a staging area for community limos and 18-packs which will be required as fuel becomes more expensive.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
ThrashATL,

Thanks for your realistic assessment. We need more of that here. That pre-developed parcel will prove valuable for something in the future, perhaps as a staging area for community limos and 18-packs which will be required as fuel becomes more expensive.
I must be delirious. Common sense tells you that the more competition among airlines decreases, prices increase. Add to that the cost of fuel which is not looking back at the cheap prices that fueled the casual traveler boom and you have a recipe for disaster if you're an airline. So now you take out the schmucks looking for $99 tickets to Biloxi or the $400 flights to London and what do you have left? You have the business traveler who is also in a merge & squeeze situation where companies are downsizing, selling off and cutting travel budgets. My company cut all business travel below a certain level of management unless a client FULLY compensated your travel. That's big for us, that's probably 500 tickets a year we're not buying.

Last edited by ThrashATL; Jul 16, 2008 at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2008, 11:27 PM

If a new South Terminal isn't built (which I consider somewhat doubtful myself), I suspect the area will be home to new cargo facilities. Many of the distribution warehouses that would use such a part of the airport are located south and east of it anyway.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 5:23 PM

Bvlgari, Sean John among new retailers coming to Hartsfield-Jackson

Atlanta Business Chronicle
HMSHost Corp. has won retail concession deals at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which will get 20 new stores, and has revealed where the stores will be within the airport.

Bethesda, Md.-based HMSHost, in partnership with local Atlanta firms, Shellis Management Services and Trans Air Concessions, said the stores will be throughout four of the airport's concourses. Build-out is set for completion in 2009.

Brands will include the first free-standing Bvlgari, Salvatore Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna and Sean John stores in U.S. airports. Also slated are consumer favorites Kiehl's, Swarovski, Lancome Beauty Lounge and LeSportsac.

"As the busiest airport in the world, Hartsfield-Jackson is a center for international travel, but it is also the 'local' airport for residents of Georgia and beyond," said Ben DeCosta, general manager of aviation at Hartsfield-Jackson, in a press release. "The [Atlanta] city council selected HMSHost because its retail offerings reflect Atlanta's dual role as international gateway and hub of Southern culture and fashion."

The complete list of new stores follows.

Pre-Security Atrium:
Atlanta Magazine's Home

Blockbuster Video

Shellis News

Simply Books

Starbucks Coffee

Z Market

Concourse A:
Brookstone

Bvlgari

Ermenegildo Zegna

CNN News

Salvatore Ferragamo

Simply Books with Café Brioche Dorée

Z Market

Concourse B:
Airport Wireless

CNN News

Sean John

LeSportsac

Z Market

Southern Living News

Lancome Beauty Lounge

Kiehl's

Concourse T:
Atlanta News and Gifts

Bijoux Terner

Harley-Davidson

Lather

Radio Road

Rocawear

Swarovski

Shellis News

Southern Flavors

TechShowcase

Z Market

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 8:30 PM

DL was one of the only airlines to report a profit for 2Q08. Most legacy carriers reported losses, though a couple of them were relatively small. The fact is that DL is doing something beyond fuel hedging to come out in the black. The day ATL sees half as much DL service as it does today is the day DL ceases to exist, because ATL is its bread and butter, hands down. If not for ATL, the global airline known as DL would not be global at all. So, while the industry is going through unprecedented challenges at the moment, primarily due to ridiculously high fuel prices, places such as ATL will continue to play a huge role in the survival of hub carriers DL & FL.

The South Terminal Complex may not be built for a while, but that's what a Master Plan is for. The trigger on those projects needed for future growth won't be pulled until a demand milestone is reached. That is probably right around 100 Million passengers. I'm expecting to visit ATL next week and will ask some of my friends at the Airport to find out what the magic number is.

Also, keep in mind that ATL just announced an up to 1,500ft extension of its already longest runway to accommodate fully loaded widebody aircraft 365-days a year. This is big money, though largely federally funded, to throw at increasing capacity, and it is coming with Delta's strong support.

ATL will be just fine, and I think will come out ahead of a lot of other airports partly due to the growing population base of the Metro Area. It is still going up, and that is a good thing ultimately for air travel demand. That is, as long as oil doesn't rise to and settle at $150 or higher, because many won't be able to afford to fly if that occurs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta