HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 2:01 AM

The warehouse building that First Niagara moved into looks very good, and out of place with its neighborhood. I had wondered about who moved into the offices. The bank seems like its based on sound financial footing rather than riskier banks that invest into junk bonds and crazy mortgages, so maybe they will be the long time tenant of the neighborhood and give back. Great first step!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 2:47 PM
Trendy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
117 rooms is too small for a "real" Hilton
Nah, it's not.

I should go work for First Niagara, but I heart SunTrust!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 5:48 PM

Work is planned to start on the AM&A's building by the spring!

http://www.buffalonews.com/businesst...rder=T#comment

this is a great quote. i only wish more apartments were going in.

"Termini said he is not concerned about being able to fill the 66 apartments that would be part of the revived complex. “We have 190 apartments downtown now; we don’t have one vacancy,” he said, estimating that about a quarter of those tenants work in the medical corridor."

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasTexan View Post
This is great news. Just wish it was real Hilton instead of a Hilton Garden Inn!
I agree. Buffalo needs a large 4 or 5 star luxury hotel downtown like a Omni, Sheraton, Hilton, Marriott, Westin. Garden Inn is in between a Hampton and Hilton Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 5:34 PM
seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective View Post
Casa Luce project, the mid-rise condo building and townhomes next to Portside, is dead.
Awww..... I liked that project.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 10:58 PM

Came home and started browsing photos via google image search, what is the tower behind the federal court house? Is it a dead project?

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 11:12 PM
welcome to the madness

^^^Yep totally dead. It was attached to Issa, the developer responsible for the current woes at the Statler. Turns out his dreams were much larger than his capabilities. But you can see why with a tower like that plus his plan for the Statler he became a local celebrity.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 12:49 AM

YAY!! I'll be back in Buffalo next week for the first time in over three years, and I'll be doing my best to get around and take pics of all the construction projects. I went to UB, so I'll also be focusing on their campuses (expect a photo thread on them for sure).

any projects in particular you guys would like me to hit up?

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kznyc2k View Post
YAY!! I'll be back in Buffalo next week for the first time in over three years, and I'll be doing my best to get around and take pics of all the construction projects. I went to UB, so I'll also be focusing on their campuses (expect a photo thread on them for sure).

any projects in particular you guys would like me to hit up?
Genny Gateway - Genesee/Oak streets
Auto Museum - Seneca/Michigan
AC Lofts (Lofts @ 136) - 136 N. Division at Elm
AM&As Warehouse Lofts - Eagle and Washington St.
Courthouse - Niagara Square
Canalside Roads - Main/Scott Streets
204 Franklin Boutique Hotel - Franklin @ Huron
Tishman Bldg. Ground Floor Renos - Lafayette Square
136 Cherry Street - this one is a bit out of the way- it is north of Genesee Street, east of Michigan; overlooks the Kensington

That's about all that is underway right now.

Last edited by westcoastperspective; Dec 26, 2009 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 4:08 AM

Sounds like the Statler project is in big trouble- Biz First says judge could order the building shut!!!!

If you could pick one, which project do you think is most important for downtown:

1. Canalside
2. AM&As Reuse
3. Lafayette Hotel Reno.
4. Statler Redevelopment
5. Main Street Retraffic

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 4:32 AM

What ever happened to 33 Gates Circle? I assume by how the construction thread on it has been dead for almost two years that it too is dead, but why'd it seem to just fall off the radar?

Also, westcoastperspective, my grasp on the locations of these projects (that don't have their address in their name) is tenuous at best -- would you be a doll and list those addresses? Gracias, amigo.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Sounds like the Statler project is in big trouble- Biz First says judge could order the building shut!!!!

If you could pick one, which project do you think is most important for downtown:

1. Canalside
2. AM&As Reuse
3. Lafayette Hotel Reno.
4. Statler Redevelopment
5. Main Street Retraffic
All of them!

Old Posted Dec 26, 2009, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALOVE!! View Post
All of them!
FAIL. Not an option.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2009, 1:33 AM
welcome to the madness

I'm going to go with the Statler project, just because this building went from a near glorious revival to a real sense of having a cloudy future. The other buildings will still be around in the future to renovate, but I'm all of the sudden very concerned for its future.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 4:30 AM
welcome to the madness

I'm a little upset that Carl Paladino described the Statler as a "sinkhole" today on Channel 4 News. Apparently this building is two weeks away from being completely mothballed. Is there some hope for this building?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 3:18 AM

Quote:

1. Canalside
2. AM&As Reuse
3. Lafayette Hotel Reno.
4. Statler Redevelopment
5. Main Street Retraffic
i'll go with #1 Canalside. If this project lives up to its plans, it has the ability to be a visual/perception changer for downtown buffalo. Imagine thousands of people shopping, eating, or just hanging out along the inner harbor downtown(which could be happening as soon as May 2011). This project is the one that pessimistic people in wny STILL think is only a joke or pipe dream and will never happen in our time.

I hate the idea of looking for a silver bullet to give the city a shot in the arm (which is what bass pro could've been if it was developed alone), but developing a neighborhood with canals, a navel park, museum, hotel, shops and restaurants has the diversity and historical character to thrive and grow. This public/private development is what Buffalo needs more than any other right now. This project has the ability to totally change the landscape and feel of downtown. The other projects, mainly the Lafayette, Statler, and AM&As will happen when the economics make sense....for the Lafayette and AM&As that may be sooner than we thought...

Old Posted Dec 31, 2009, 11:41 PM
The Cat's Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastcall4am View Post
i'll go with #1 Canalside. If this project lives up to its plans, it has the ability to be a visual/perception changer for downtown buffalo. Imagine thousands of people shopping, eating, or just hanging out along the inner harbor downtown(which could be happening as soon as May 2011). This project is the one that pessimistic people in wny STILL think is only a joke or pipe dream and will never happen in our time.

I hate the idea of looking for a silver bullet to give the city a shot in the arm (which is what bass pro could've been if it was developed alone), but developing a neighborhood with canals, a navel park, museum, hotel, shops and restaurants has the diversity and historical character to thrive and grow. This public/private development is what Buffalo needs more than any other right now. This project has the ability to totally change the landscape and feel of downtown. The other projects, mainly the Lafayette, Statler, and AM&As will happen when the economics make sense....for the Lafayette and AM&As that may be sooner than we thought...

^^ I agree, Canalside

Old Posted Jan 2, 2010, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Bolivar View Post
I'm a little upset that Carl Paladino described the Statler as a "sinkhole" today on Channel 4 News. Apparently this building is two weeks away from being completely mothballed. Is there some hope for this building?
I'm glad! I don't want him anywhere near that gem. Knowing him he'd take out all the first floor windows, replace them with cinderblocks and lease the whole ground floor to an abortion clinic. Maybe AA would get the mezzanine level.

source: courtyard mall

Old Posted Jan 3, 2010, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALOVE!! View Post
I'm glad! I don't want him anywhere near that gem. Knowing him he'd take out all the first floor windows, replace them with cinderblocks and lease the whole ground floor to an abortion clinic. Maybe AA would get the mezzanine level.

source: courtyard mall

Even Rocco suggested that mothballing the Statler in a recent Biz First story is the best short-term option. I'd hate to see that sitting vacant on Niagara Square for a decade or longer- with each passing day the "tear it down" crowd will grow. Perhaps we have to wait for a better economy, additional preservation tax credits and the right deep-pocketed developer to come along.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2010, 5:11 AM

Summary of Announced/Completed/Started downtown projects last year-

http://www.buffalorising.com/2010/01...ent-recap.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations