HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #81  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 2:18 PM
Wishblade's Avatar
Wishblade Wishblade is offline
You talkin' to me?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 1,322
and just a question Someone,

I could have swore our airport handled 3.5 million last year?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #82  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 2:28 PM
Haliguy's Avatar
Haliguy Haliguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 967
It did... 3,469,062 passengers to be exact.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #83  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 2:31 PM
Haliguy's Avatar
Haliguy Haliguy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Halifax
Posts: 967
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I think that we are getting off on a tangent on this thread but yes, the passenger figures that you have are accurate. GMIA has about 520,000 passengers per year (down fron 585,000 in 2006 before CanJet tanked). Halifax Robert Stanfield handles slightly over 5x as many passengers per year.

This still makes GMIA the second busiest passenger airport in the Maritimes and the 520,000 passengers per year is greater than all other airports in New Brunswick combined.

Regarding cargo capacity, the GMIA propagandists claim that we have caught up to Halifax. Wikipedia states that GMIA handled 24,527 metric tonnes of cargo in 2007. This is a huge discrepancy from the figures that you have given. I don't know what would account for this.

Finally, GMIA had 125,414 aircraft movements in 2007, making it the 14th busiest airport in Canada. Pretty respectable for a small city but it should be noted that a lot of this is due to the Moncton Flight College (the largest flight college in Canada).

Now, can we stop comparing airports and start talking about the CFL again?
I wouldn't go by anything Wikipedia says.

Anyway back to the CFL....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #84  
Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:49 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I wouldn't go by anything Wikipedia says.

Anyway back to the CFL....

The Wikipedia article was referenced so I trust it. The guy who does the article re: GMIA is careful and thorough.

In any event, I think we can all agree that GMIA is clearly #2 in terms of passenger movements in the region (and hopefully passenger volumes will increase now that border services is giving us customs officers 16 hours a day rather than eight). GMIA is also a very close second to Halifax in terms of cargo volumes.

At #14 in the nation for aircraft movements, the airport punches above its weight.

Now, let's finally put this issue to bed as it is peripheral to the discussion on the CFL.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #85  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 7:22 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,816
I propose to the commissioner of the CFL that the league hold a couple of exhibiton games in Moncton and Halifax in either 2009 or 2010. The game in Moncton could be held in our 20,000 seat World Track and Field Stadium. The game in Halifax could be held at Huskie's Stadium at Saint Mary's University. It would give the league a chance to see where a Maritime team might be more successful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #86  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 7:38 PM
Wishblade's Avatar
Wishblade Wishblade is offline
You talkin' to me?
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 1,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I propose to the commissioner of the CFL that the league hold a couple of exhibiton games in Moncton and Halifax in either 2009 or 2010. The game in Moncton could be held in our 20,000 seat World Track and Field Stadium. The game in Halifax could be held at Huskie's Stadium at Saint Mary's University. It would give the league a chance to see where a Maritime team might be more successful.
Well, Huskies Stadium only can hold about half of what the new Moncton stadium can, and the last exhibition game they held in Halifax sold it out without a problem.

It just wouldnt really give an accurate depiction since the seating capacity's are so different. If both venues sold out (which I bet they would), what would it prove?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #87  
Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 10:26 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Well, Huskies Stadium only can hold about half of what the new Moncton stadium can, and the last exhibition game they held in Halifax sold it out without a problem.

It just wouldnt really give an accurate depiction since the seating capacity's are so different. If both venues sold out (which I bet they would), what would it prove?

True enough, it probably wouldn't prove anything but at least it would let the commissioner see that there is significant latent interest in the Maritimes for the CFL and that a team here (in either Moncton or Halifax) could be successful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #88  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 7:05 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
True enough, it probably wouldn't prove anything but at least it would let the commissioner see that there is significant latent interest in the Maritimes for the CFL and that a team here (in either Moncton or Halifax) could be successful.
In either case they could add some temporary seating to either stadium .. and perhaps see how easy it would be to draw 25 - 28000 people to a game.

If there was a stadium which was suitable to the CFL I am sure there would already be a team in the maritimes, but hosting a few more exhibition games may go a long way into getting some momentum towards getting something off the ground.

The CFL wants to be coast to coast.
__________________
Check out my city at
http://www.allwinnipeg.com **More than Ever**
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #89  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 1:18 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,816
Talks of CFL in Moncton continue

CFL commissioner, Mayor George LeBlanc spoke this week about possibility of team based in the city

By Brent Mazerolle
Times & Transcript Staff

It's probably a bit early to be shopping for souvenir Moncton Maritimers jerseys -- it's way too early in fact to say what a Moncton-based CFL team would one day be called -- but at least the right people are talking about the idea.

The commissioner of the Canadian Football League told the Times & Transcript earlier this month that he looked forward to talking to Moncton Mayor George LeBlanc about the possibility of the league expanding into Atlantic Canada.

It took a few weeks for LeBlanc and commissioner Mark Cohon to find time in their hectic schedules to have a chat, but Moncton's mayor said yesterday they finally got the opportunity this week.

"We talked about Moncton and looking for opportunities for the future," LeBlanc said. "We agreed to keep exploring the idea (of a CFL franchise here)."

"I also pointed out to him that we are used to hosting big events," LeBlanc said, recounting that he mentioned the success of the Magnetic Hill concert site, particularly in hosting the Rolling Stones and the Eagles. "We have a track record here and we know how to do it," he said.

Beyond keeping the lines of communication open, the mayor said it was a good chance to ensure Cohon was aware not just of the facilities Metro Moncton has, but the facilities the city is building.

Would CFL players one day be practicing at the Rocky Stone field currently being upgraded significantly? Would they play games at the city-owned outdoor stadium being built on the Université de Moncton campus for the 2010 IAAF World Junior Track and Field Championships?

Cohon said the league is in a position to look at expansion with last year's average stadium attendance reaching its highest since 1983. Television ratings are also up 19 per cent so far this season.

"We are now going to start really thinking about what are the new opportunities for the league and expansion is definitely on our agenda and is something we need to explore," Cohon said.

The CFL last tested the waters for possible expansion into the Maritimes in 2005 with an exhibition game held in Halifax.

At that time, former commissioner Tom Wright was looking at the feasibility of adding a 10th CFL franchise by 2008, but only if a 25,000-seat stadium was in place and the league was convinced private financial backers were in place.

The stadium being built in Moncton will come close to that 25,000 seat number, and the design allows for some expansion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #90  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 6:11 PM
PostModernPrometheus's Avatar
PostModernPrometheus PostModernPrometheus is offline
Harbour Passage User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greater Saint John, NB
Posts: 637
I dunno guys . . .though it would be nice to see a cfl franchise on the east coast (both from an economic & regional pride perspective), i just can't see it having the legs to be truly sustainable. . .sure, the novelty, fanfare & hype would probably help to sell out whatever venue was chosen for the initial several games or season or whatever, but i just can't see 20,000+ maritimers consistently going to watch cfl football . . .

selling out novel exhibition games in almost any sport is one thing; sustaining the momentum is the tricky part.

re: MonctonRad's ^ post - & the reference to "At that time, former commissioner Tom Wright was looking at the feasibility of adding a 10th CFL franchise by 2008, but only if a 25,000-seat stadium was in place and the league was convinced private financial backers were in place" . . . i wonder just how extensive and longitudinally committed "in place" actually means. . .the more that's required up front, the less attractive it may be for the private sector to dump in tons of capital. . . and i really don't think provincial gov't dollars should be funnelled into this kind of endeavour. . .
__________________
If you can't convince them, confuse them.

- Harry S Truman
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #91  
Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 7:05 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernPrometheus View Post
I dunno guys . . .though it would be nice to see a cfl franchise on the east coast (both from an economic & regional pride perspective), i just can't see it having the legs to be truly sustainable. . .sure, the novelty, fanfare & hype would probably help to sell out whatever venue was chosen for the initial several games or season or whatever, but i just can't see 20,000+ maritimers consistently going to watch cfl football . . .

selling out novel exhibition games in almost any sport is one thing; sustaining the momentum is the tricky part.

re: MonctonRad's ^ post - & the reference to "At that time, former commissioner Tom Wright was looking at the feasibility of adding a 10th CFL franchise by 2008, but only if a 25,000-seat stadium was in place and the league was convinced private financial backers were in place" . . . i wonder just how extensive and longitudinally committed "in place" actually means. . .the more that's required up front, the less attractive it may be for the private sector to dump in tons of capital. . . and i really don't think provincial gov't dollars should be funnelled into this kind of endeavour. . .
I agree PostModernPromethius, this won't be easy and might not be sustainable. Whichever city gets the franchise, the team will have to be adopted as a "regional team" in much the same way as the Rough Riders, though based in Regina are perceived as "Saskatchewan's team". Regina BTW is not the biggest city in Saskatchewan.

Infrastructure costs likely would be a killer. This is the reason why Moncton currently may have a bit of a leg-up on Halifax. Our new stadium will be of near CFL size. It might not cost too much to bring it up to CFL standards. In Halifax, they have to start from ground zero.

There are several individuals in Moncton (without naming names) who have pockets deep enough to get involved in a franchise bid. I do not know however whether or not these individuals are actually interested. Our municipal politicians are supportive as are some of our regional provincial cabinet ministers. If substantive private support were to materialize then a viable bid could happen.

Convincing the league that Moncton is a viable CFL city will be an admittedly tough sell but at least we can dream......you never know.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #92  
Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 8:08 AM
Dalreg's Avatar
Dalreg Dalreg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree PostModernPromethius, this won't be easy and might not be sustainable. Whichever city gets the franchise, the team will have to be adopted as a "regional team" in much the same way as the Rough Riders, though based in Regina are perceived as "Saskatchewan's team". Regina BTW is not the biggest city in Saskatchewan.

Infrastructure costs likely would be a killer. This is the reason why Moncton currently may have a bit of a leg-up on Halifax. Our new stadium will be of near CFL size. It might not cost too much to bring it up to CFL standards. In Halifax, they have to start from ground zero.

There are several individuals in Moncton (without naming names) who have pockets deep enough to get involved in a franchise bid. I do not know however whether or not these individuals are actually interested. Our municipal politicians are supportive as are some of our regional provincial cabinet ministers. If substantive private support were to materialize then a viable bid could happen.

Convincing the league that Moncton is a viable CFL city will be an admittedly tough sell but at least we can dream......you never know.

Well to be honest Regina was the largest city in Saskatchewan until the late 80's long after the Riders were established. Whether a city is largest, second largest or 15th doesn't matter. What will be the major stumbling block in the East Coast getting a team is finding someone with deep enough pockets to finance a stadium and a team. Unless these unamed individuals are willing to open up purse strings, it really doesn't matter where they are or who they are.

Good Luck East coast on getting a team. Hopefully sooner than later.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #93  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 4:07 AM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,088
I really don't think finding people who can afford the CFL expansion fee will be that large of a stumbling block. The CFL is still one of the most affordable leagues to gain enterance. The last I saw a team runs around 5-6 million, plus a further deposit of a few million to be repaid by the league overtime based on the stability of the team. ie: the owners don't bail mid-season. (ie: the Gleberman's)

The only real stumbling block would be a viable stadium... if it can hold min 28,000 and up, with some luxury boxes, the team would have a fighting chance. The old school stadiums are lacking the ability to attract maximum corporate support, due to omitance of luxury boxes and club seats.

With the enhancment of BC Place and the maintained quality of Rogers Stadium (Skydome), and the proposed new stadium in Winnipeg the direction of the league is leaning a little more towards attracting corporate sponsorship and corporate sales. Therefore any new stadium must take this trend into account.
__________________
Check out my city at
http://www.allwinnipeg.com **More than Ever**
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #94  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 4:25 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 19,829
Does the current Moncton stadium really matter? It only cost something like $17M and is likely not configured optimally for the CFL. The price tag discussed for a CWG stadium was something like $130M.

There's no reason why the stadium cost would be significantly different in either location but Halifax has a dramatically greater capacity to pay for things. The tax base in the HRM is six times larger than that of the City of Moncton, for example.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #95  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 15,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Does the current Moncton stadium really matter? It only cost something like $17M and is likely not configured optimally for the CFL. The price tag discussed for a CWG stadium was something like $130M.

There's no reason why the stadium cost would be significantly different in either location but Halifax has a dramatically greater capacity to pay for things. The tax base in the HRM is six times larger than that of the City of Moncton, for example.
I'm sure that the Commonwealth Games stadium would have been considerably larger than the facility being built here in Moncton, and would have been built to more exacting standards as well. That would explain the cost difference.

That being said, our stadium will have seating for 20,000 people and, more importantly, there will be room for expansion. I imagine that seating could be increased to 30,000 relatively easily. A top of the line facility with corporate boxes might be another matter however, but this might be feasable.

I'm willing to admit that there is potentially a much broader base for corporate support for a CFL franchise in Halifax than in Moncton. There are some head offices in Moncton however and it may be more important what the community spirit of these corporations is rather than their sheer number. Just because there are more corporate mandarins in Halifax does not mean that they will be more likely to buy a corporate box.

There are at least five individuals in Moncton that I can think of who are worth well in excess of $100 million. Any of these people or a consortium of others could afford to run a CFL team. There is civic support for the concept of a CFL franchise. There is interest in the CFL within the community. We have a leg up over Halifax with the World Track & Field Stadium. Moncton remains a player.

The stadium issue is a huge one for Halifax. You need to honestly ask yourself whether or not you believe that the current city council and mayor are actually interested in the CFL. I believe not. Even if they were interested, where would they get the funding for the needed stadium? The feds won't contribute unless there is a cause (like the CWG or the Track & Field Championships). Without the feds, the project would be up to the city, province and perhaps private interests. Just how much do Haligonians (especially the rural Haligonians in the Musquoidoboit Valley, Ecum Secum and Necum Teuch) want their tax rates to go up by?

Food for thought.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #96  
Old Posted Oct 3, 2008, 11:52 PM
newflyer's Avatar
newflyer newflyer is offline
Capitalist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,088
The majority of the government funding for a new stadium would likley have to be assumed by the feds and the province. In Winnipeg's case the land is being offered by the University of Manitoba .. The city is offering property tax breaks ... the majority of the funding ($90million) is being put up by Creswin, which is a land development corporation, which is owned by the Aspers. The remainder will be split by the Feds and Manitoba, which has been shown to be recouped by the taxes collected in the construction in the new building. The Feds have note signed off on the project, and probibly won't until the election is over.

In terms of the Maritimes, it would definately help if the majority of the cost could be offset as a means to host a major sporting event. This would definatly open the door for the CFL to opperate a team from the new facility.
__________________
Check out my city at
http://www.allwinnipeg.com **More than Ever**

Last edited by newflyer; Oct 4, 2008 at 3:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #97  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 8:13 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saint John :: NB
Posts: 3,056
Moncton is no longer alone in the race.

Due to the interesting outcome of the market assesment studie, a group in Quebec city has been able to find more than half of the financing for a franchise. Moreover, the Provincial Government would invest 19-million dollars in a new stadium located in St-Augustin, the private sector will pay the balance required. (25 000-Seats)

Last edited by ErickMontreal; Nov 12, 2008 at 8:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #98  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 9:01 PM
JasonL-Moncton JasonL-Moncton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErickMontreal View Post
Moncton is no longer alone in the race.

Due to the interesting outcome of the market assesment studie, a group in Quebec city has been able to find more than half of the financing for a franchise. Moreover, the Provincial Government would invest 19-million dollars in a new stadium located in St-Augustin, the private sector will pay the balance required. (25 000-Seats)
but that still doesn't make the league "coast to coast" no matter how many in this fine country of ours thinks Canada stops at Quebec.

JL
__________________
Jason
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #99  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 10:48 PM
ErickMontreal's Avatar
ErickMontreal ErickMontreal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Saint John :: NB
Posts: 3,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
but that still doesn't make the league "coast to coast" no matter how many in this fine country of ours thinks Canada stops at Quebec.

JL
Of course, so that does not discredit Moncton by any means. I mean I see Ottawa, Quebec and likely Moncton within the league by 2012.

However, the time is come to seriously look at it in the aim to find interested people with deep pockets to invest in it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #100  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2008, 11:00 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,292
Moncton will never get a CFL team. I would make that bet any day. You will never get enough corporate sponsers to be stupid enough to invest in the smallest franchise in the history of the CFL. It's just a bad business decision, especially in today's economy. Cities like Quebec (+700,000), London (450,000), Halifax (400,000) make way more business sense and they may never see a team. Especially since Ottawa can't make a go of it. Sorry Moncton to destroy your hopes but your stadium is meaningless its a cheap piece of infrastructure that the only thing it has in common with a CFL stadium is it has a field. It only has a small amount of permanent seats in comparison to a real CFL stadium. A city with only 125,000 just doesn't make corporate sponsers drool, no matter how much crazy math moncton uses (ex: the stupid 3.5 hour drive math which might as well be a lifetime when your driving through the boring forest that is New Brunswick)
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:36 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.