HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years Will Be.....
740,000 or less 40 23.39%
740,000-750,000 26 15.20%
750,000-760,000 24 14.04%
760,000 or more 81 47.37%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 7:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
As of 5 years ago, there was as many Muslims in Canada as status Indians (sic).
I assume you mean the 2011 Census:

Muslims: 1,053,000
North american Indian 1,253,000 (1,662,000 if you include Metis)

Aboriginals make up slightly over 4% of the Canadian population. Not significant at all. In Winnipeg, we may mistakenly think First Nations people are abundant, since Winnipeg has nealry 100,000 of them.

In Canada, there are approx 1,200,000 Muslims as of 2015, or 3% of the 36,000,000 Canadians. Relatively low, compared to other countries:

Israel 18%
India 14%
Bulgaria 8%
France 7.5%
Austria 7%
Russia 6.5-11.7%
Belgium 6%
Greece 5.8%
Philippines 5-11%
UK 5%
Sweden 5%
Switzerland 5%
Netherlands 5%
Germany 5%

Last edited by Jets4Life; Aug 16, 2016 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 8:23 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Political correctiveness has gone too far. Donald Trump has become the single greatest beneficiary of this. People do not like to have their intelligence insulted. We all know what group of people has committed terrorist attacks in every country in the world. China, India, Europe, North America, Africa, Australia, South East Asia, etc.

Ask anyone from Europe about this problem. The UK just pulled out of the EU for this main reason.

Obviously I am not saying most of the people are bad. I believe the vast majority of the people in question are good Canadians. However, as long as they remain quiet, and their religious leaders are silent, while violent attacks occur, and innocent people are murdered, the community deserves whatever is coming to them.
Okay, but there are 1.6 (approx.) billion Muslims. Even if a million of them are terrorists they are still a tiny minority. But let's say that there are 10 million of them that like to blow things up and cut off peoples' heads.

Look, I agree that when it comes to violent religious fundamentalism, the worst offenders right now are Muslim. But it's not the people who want to immigrate who are the problem. Their children (if anybody) will be more at risk of following the radical path but even then it's a small percentage.

When it comes to Muslim immigration, I couldn't care less. I only have a problem with it when and if they demand that we basically set things up so that things are just like the country that they left. We don't want sharia courts, censorship, or segregation here. Well, so far in Canada that hasn't really been a problem. That doesn't mean that it couldn't be in the future, that's true but so far we've not had any major issues that way.

Crazies don't have a stamp saying as much on their forehead. There's no way to tell what's going through anybody's head. All we can do is screen as best as possible and maybe put a little more scrutiny on people from certain places. Apart from that, terrorists are people who think they're on a mission from god. If they really want to hurt us, they'll find some way to do it.

Whatever problems exist in the E.U. because of Muslims has more to do with a clash of culture than some sort of struggle for dominance. Yes, there are issues but do you know what most people in the U.K. were complaining about concerning immigrants was ? It wasn't their religion. Most people were simply tired of being told that they had to bend over and do whatever some un-elected asshole in a foreign country told them to do. They didn't want all the Eastern Europeans coming in and doing jobs for a fraction of the labor cost they'd have to spend on a Brit. I feel the same way about Canada but fortunately for us it's not a major problem. The rather 'small potatoes' demands (however unreasonable) of the Muslim population was just icing on the cake.

Now, I'm about as politically incorrect as a person can be. I will go out of my way to offend those that go looking for offense (usually the average university student taking a gender studies course or attending any sort of Occupy rally) No point in going into why I feel compelled to do this but sufficed to say. With that said, I have yet to meet any Muslim who has ever gone out of his or her way to insult Canada or the culture in it. Tolerance works for us (as it would for anybody who tried it) and it doesn't end once we get to some title on a checklist. Like you, I don't believe in waiting for the worst to happen out of some misguided sense of political correctness. I call a spade a spade, too. But Muslims aren't terrorists. A tiny number of them are. A tiny number out of any group of people are crazy and violent.

As a Jew, I think of the teachings of Hillel the Elder. You know it as the Golden Rule. Don't judge people based solely on things for which they have no control over.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I assume you mean the 2011 Census:

Muslims: 1,053,000
North american Indian 1,253,000 (1,662,000 if you include Metis)

Aboriginals make up slightly over 4% of the Canadian population. Not significant at all. In Winnipeg, we may mistakenly think First Nations people are abundant, since Winnipeg has nealry 100,000 of them.
The 'problem' with Muslims is said to exists when a large number of them exist in a small area. The same thing that you claim for aboriginals is true for Muslims. They are concentrated in a couple of large cities. There really haven't been all that many problems considering. Maybe we've just done a better job?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:02 PM

As this thread has reached it's shelf life and a new thread has been created by the same poster to cover a new period in time we'll moving on to the new thread.

This thread will be left open to commentary as we transition to the new thread for a period of time.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=224399

Please keep the discussion on topic and relating to Winnipeg's population, growth, issues, problems, predictions and so forth.

Last edited by Cyro; Sep 6, 2016 at 8:42 PM. Reason: New thread active for several weeks.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan