HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post

http://www.stockaerialphotos.com/-/g...rotown-skyline

Metrotown w u/c and proposed

Brentwood w u/c and proposed

They look so similar lol. Totally over exaggerated the height of the 600' towers in Brentwood, but too lazy to fix it.
Brentwood also has that 5-7 tower complex by Concorde still pending over in between Holdom and Brentwood Stations, to go along with the tower going up to the West of Aviara (forgot the name) - the crane just went up for that one. I don't think any of these neighbourhoods even compare to what's about to go up in Lougheed though. Not only did Lougheed City just launch by Shape properties, there's also the multitude of other complexes going up right around it (West edge of Coquitlam along North Road up towards Burquitlam [Station]). Lougheed is going to be one of the largest neighbourhoods (density-wise) in all of Canada. Former Calgarian here and I take pride in my home city with it's neighbourhoods and skyline, but it feels pretty damn cool living in such a happening place as I do right now. Though it is utterly loud and noisy over here in Lougheed, even more-so with the Evergreen trains running - I'll bear with it for the sake of seeing a massive skyline go up right in front of me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 5:55 AM
Ocean Breeze

A different angle..

Vancouver - Burnaby condos
by kitmasterbloke, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 2:10 PM

i never realized how close Burnaby was to Vancouver proper? looks even closer than etobicoke is to toronto. how far apart are the two?
i can't imagine the growth in Vancouver suburbs slowing down any time soon with the high cost of living in Vancouver.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2016, 6:47 PM
Reason and Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post

i never realized how close Burnaby was to Vancouver proper? looks even closer than etobicoke is to toronto. how far apart are the two?
It's about 11 kilometres by road. Driving aggressively in light traffic, you can make it from downtown Vancouver to Metrotown in about 17 minutes.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:08 AM

Those photos are taken with a telephoto lens, making them look closer than they really are. I mean, Metrotown and Brentwood are not far from Downtown, but with naked eye Downtown appears much smaller in the distance.

Also dleung's drawings leave out DOZENS of towers under construction or proposed. These areas are going to be very, very dense in just couple of years. Definitely the two areas where things are happening all around you right now.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2016, 2:14 AM

yeah sorry lol they were very half assed. By the time I realized how much drawing i'll hv to do I was already over it lol

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 8:32 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Those photos are taken with a telephoto lens, making them look closer than they really are. I mean, Metrotown and Brentwood are not far from Downtown, but with naked eye Downtown appears much smaller in the distance.
Not to mention that the focal length is also compressing the clusters of towers themselves. We get to see Metrotown naturally compressed from a number of places from which it is visible from a distance. However, the density expressed in these photos quickly disappears when you enter Metrotown and find out how big and spread out the area is.

But, this is changing. It is entering a new phase in which new buildings are filling in many areas and in at least three zones, it is beginning to feel dense even at street level. Lots of change is coming.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 3:10 AM

From the Cypress Bowl lookout in West Vancouver taken by me today.

Last edited by vanman; Oct 29, 2016 at 3:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:30 AM

Brentwood town centre in Burnaby.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2016, 4:47 AM

Beautiful snow day in Brentwood.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 2:06 PM
Montérégien

Montréal-Nord from Laval

Vapeur sur la rivière des Prairies by Nicole Nicky, sur Flickr

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 1:42 AM

Ottawa's west end:
Shirley&#x27;s Bay Ottawa by NP Photography, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:42 AM

Laval doing its best.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:59 AM
Look at me!

Simply hideous.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:02 AM
perhaps . . .

I have not given this much thought, but Laval has always raised so many questions to me. Why is its urban-scape so poor? Why is it not improving (substantially)?

Most of our big cities have their own versions of Laval - a singular bland largest suburban community: Mississauga, Surrey, Sherwood Park (maybe), Kanata, Sainte-Foy. You may have your own list, but the point is made. So, a question:

Which of these communities match their anchor city best?

This question primarily concerns appearance, feel and style, I focus it this way because Laval, as a partner to Montreal, is shockingly bad. For Vancouver, Surrey has long been only a bit better. But this is changing slowly. Surrey has aspirations. Laval seems not to. And just in the last few months, Surrey finally has a skyline that, from a distance at least, catches the eye and is starting to change the image to align more with Vancouver's other large suburban areas (purposely keeping this loose).

The discussion could be expanded to economics, transportation . . .

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 1:02 PM

/\ Are you only talking skyline or urban fabric in general ? Sure, those communities in Vancouver score well on the skyline front (if one doesn't mind the generic, repetitive and bland style of those towers), but what about the street level experience ? Is is that much better than, say, Laval or Brossard ? Laval is on an island; there are numerous waterfront neighbourhood that are very nice and even bucolic, but they are never shown here, of course, where the focus is always on the uglier part of it. I hate Laval because I hate subburbs. And I'm pretty sure I would not be impressed by Vancouver's subburbs neither, skyline or not. Are they that much better at street level ?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
/\ Are you only talking skyline or urban fabric in general ? Sure, those communities in Vancouver score well on the skyline front (if one doesn't mind the generic, repetitive and bland style of those towers), but what about the street level experience ? Is is that much better than, say, Laval or Brossard ? Laval is on an island; there are numerous waterfront neighbourhood that are very nice and even bucolic, but they are never shown here, of course, where the focus is always on the uglier part of it. I hate Laval because I hate subburbs. And I'm pretty sure I would not be impressed by Vancouver's subburbs neither, skyline or not. Are they that much better at street level ?
My experience with Vancouver's suburbs are somewhat limited, but I stayed in Richmond for the better part of a week a year and a half ago and I was very impressed by the areas around the Skytrain stations. They felt very vibrant in an urban way despite being well out in suburbia.

The built forms are mainly suburban, but at least on the main drags you have interesting walkable streetscapes. I'm not saying it's perfect, but I think it's pretty good. I haven't really seen anything on Montreal's south shore that would compare (mind you I've never been to Laval so I don't know what it's like there).

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 5:34 PM

Vancouver's suburbs are all over the map. You have the obvious standouts like New West or Lonsdale, which are great and getting better. Then you have the really bad like Whalley or Newton, that have just been awful for decades. Burnaby is a mixed bag with lots of density existing with tons more going up, and finally now with sound urban design principles in mind as they have been too attached to towers in the park for too long. Richmond for years was one of the worst offenders with block after block of strip malls and car dealers but it has improved so much so quickly that you wouldn't even believe how bad it used to be 15 years ago.

In terms or comparisons it's tough to compare Vancouver's suburbia to Toronto, because there is just so much more of it in Toronto. Do you compare Burnaby to Mississauga or Vaughan? Or North York or Etobicoke? I would say the latter, as they draw closer comparisons despite the lack of amalgamation in Vancouver. Metro Vancouver isn't too much larger geographical or demographically than amalgamated Toronto, so there is no Vaughan, Markham, etc... which makes a good comparison difficult.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 6:18 PM

The problem with "Downtown Laval" is that it never stood in the same place for more than 20 years. When they founded the city in 1965, it was planned that it would become a second metropolis in Greater Montreal, with around 1M inhabitants by 2000, based on the amazing growth the island was knowing back then. They planned to build a downtown area from scratch around A15 and St-Martin Boulevard. They had this great idea to start developing the land with huge malls, thinking office buildings and apartment towers would follow.
But yeah, it didn't. Carrefour Laval was built in the 70's (moving the downtown plans to the north) and it took 15 years for those towers on my latest picture to exist, even more for the few condominiums in the area (2010's, mostly). And then they imagined Centropolis, which is really just two retail streets with an awful lot of parking space (and a theater shaped like a UFO, because why not). When they built the metro extension to Montmorency, the new plan was to create a brand new downtown area (another one!) around 2-3 km south from what remains the "CBD". The result is a complete mess, with parking lots and undeveloped land surrounding ugly towers, because the former administration let the promoters build whatever they wanted. Everything was rushed like nowhere else. In terms of covered area, we may have a downtown as sprawled as Montreal's, but with less than 20 midrises. Our tallest has a clock on top of it and is around 80 m tall. Yup.
However, a new master plan is coming soon and the process is going well (http://www.repensonslaval.ca/schema), including talks with promoters, citizens and organisations. Big efforts are being put to turn downtown Laval into a decent neighborhood in the next 20 years, and it looks pretty good on paper. Now we have to hope they don't f*ck up like Vaillancourt did (although he had good ideas for the downtown's future, he is the one who ruined it in the first place, and the police had other plans for him too... )

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 8:34 PM

This is the plan for the downtown of our "Laval". The centre-ville of the former City of Gatineau.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/...-recours-ville

And of course we have the Hull sector of the new City of Gatineau, which is more of an extension of Downtown Ottawa.

http://www.portailconstructo.com/act...ville_gatineau

The other big three suburbs within the Ottawa city limits;

- Kanata: semi-independent, it is home to a large high-tech sector, mostly concentrated in car-centric suburban office parrks near the Corel Centre and around the north side.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanata,_Ontario

- Orleans: pure bedroom community with little employment beyond the retail sector. Some improvements have come over the years, such as a performance centre (Shenkman Arts Centre), two minor hotels, the trades campus of Ottawa French language college (La Cité) and a few condo buildings. It will also be served by the O-Train in 2022.

- Barrhaven: newer suburb with a higher density. Between Kanata and Orleans in jobs, mostly concentrated in suburban office parks.

Gatineau has a population of around 300,000 while the other 3 have roughly 100,000 each.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada