HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:04 AM

I just talked to someone that was on Arcola at 4:10 and 6pm. She said it was complete gridlock both times. She also said there were at least 20 westbound semis at 4:10.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I just talked to someone that was on Arcola at 4:10 and 6pm. She said it was complete gridlock both times. She also said there were at least 20 westbound semis at 4:10.
Yup, I was there at 4:00 turning from University Park Drive onto Arcola going east. I counted 6 semis on Arcola headed west bound just during through the intersection. One of them even got stuck in the intersection because it was so backed up and couldn't get through the light.

Only going to get worse I think. Can only imagine what winter driving will bring.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
For trucks at least. But why then would they have the Moose Jaw sign?

Just spit-balling but maybe the thought was "If we are going to put up one sign we might as well put up them all."

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 1:34 AM

There are two sets of double signs telling large trucks to use Victoria but they are tiny compared to the 2 giant Moose Jaw signs. They are hard to notice. I took a trip out there tonight and there was very little traffic on the new section although there were several semi trailers on it and also using using Arcola.

Also it seems really odd that they still have the speed of 80 kilometers an hour between Victoria and Arcola as there is no construction or pylons whatsoever. It's probably Saskatchewan the nicest stretch of highway.

I would also say that the right turn off of the bypass on to Arcola Northwest is very dangerous. There's no merging Lane whatsoever. You turn right into oncoming traffic.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:

I would also say that the right turn off of the bypass on to Arcola Northwest is very dangerous. There's no merging Lane whatsoever. You turn right into oncoming traffic.
I would hope not. Did you not mean right into the traffic flow?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I would hope not. Did you not mean right into the traffic flow?
Yes

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:16 PM

The orange signs tell truck to go straight but the green signs saying to turn are several times larger.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:45 PM

This freeway really is going to be something. Although, to say Phase I is complete is definitely an exaggeration. For example there is a level crossing with temp traffic lights at Range Road 2185 near Redhead Equipment. I did not go beyond that, but obviously the PB Interchange is not open yet either.

The roads are very nice. Wide shoulders. 6 lanes from PB to Tower Rd. Lots of LED lighting, at least around ramps. Arcola interchange seems terrible so far, but it may change when the south leg is connected. Why would they not build proper ramps/merging lanes for right hand turns? There will be accidents there.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.41291...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edit: I am assuming Arcola is not completed yet. It appears there is supposed to be acceleration lane. It is extremely dangerous right now.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 4:13 PM

I believe Regina Bypass Partners are responsible for winter maintenance on the Bypass. I would be interested to here driver's experiences today on Highway 1 east of Tower Rd. and the east bypass.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
I believe Regina Bypass Partners are responsible for winter maintenance on the Bypass. I would be interested to here driver's experiences today on Highway 1 east of Tower Rd. and the east bypass.
They are, and yes - I'd be interested in hearing this too.
(I know Highways was out on the stretch between Albert S & Lewvan all night... which is typical, they seem to get out early & keep ahead of it on that stretch. Hopefully GoS is holding Bypass parterns to the same standard that Highways holds their own crews to)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 6:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The orange signs tell truck to go straight but the green signs saying to turn are several times larger.

I can never get your pics to load. IMHO, Imgur is the best host for sharing pictures.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I can never get your pics to load. IMHO, Imgur is the best host for sharing pictures.
Google Images seems to only work sometimes. It s just so easy because it is already my cloud backup. Google is working right now. Here it is on Imgur

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Google Images seems to only work sometimes. It s just so easy because it is already my cloud backup. Google is working right now. Here it is on Imgur
Are there signs with a similar message to the orange ones earlier? If not, it's no surprise trucks aren't taking Victoria... they'd presumably already be over in one of the left two lanes heading to Moose Jaw (if that's what the overhead sign says - hard to read). They're unlikely to be able to move over 1-2 lanes to the right safely, given the distance between the orange signs & the Bypass/through traffic split.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Are there signs with a similar message to the orange ones earlier? If not, it's no surprise trucks aren't taking Victoria... they'd presumably already be over in one of the left two lanes heading to Moose Jaw (if that's what the overhead sign says - hard to read). They're unlikely to be able to move over 1-2 lanes to the right safely, given the distance between the orange signs & the Bypass/through traffic split.
Yes there is an earlier set of signs exactly the same. All four of the signs that are very small and difficult to read at highway speeds. The Moose Jaw / Highway 1 West sign is ginormous

Last edited by Stormer; Nov 2, 2017 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 11:21 PM

Diverging diamond interchange at Pilot Butte:

Credit: Regina bypass partners

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Diverging diamond interchange at Pilot Butte:

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DNQITyFUQAALO76.jpg

Credit: Regina bypass partners
Hopefully not many semis have to drive that. Looks like a sharp bend.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike328 View Post
Hopefully not many semis have to drive that. Looks like a sharp bend.
It's not a U-turn it's a crossover. You drive on the left hand side of the road.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dive...nd_interchange

Last edited by Stormer; Nov 3, 2017 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:43 PM

Somewhat related (in that the Bypass received federal P3 funds)... the Feds announced today that they are winding down PPP Canada (the fed's P3 Crown Corp).

Operations will cease Dec 31, and it will be dissolved on Mar 31, 2018.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drofmab View Post
Somewhat related (in that the Bypass received federal P3 funds)... the Feds announced today that they are winding down PPP Canada (the fed's P3 Crown Corp).

Operations will cease Dec 31, and it will be dissolved on Mar 31, 2018.
Yes but they created the Canadian Infrastructure Bank which will still do P3s.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
It's not a U-turn it's a crossover. You drive on the left hand side how's the road.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dive...nd_interchange
Yes I realize that. Even coming straight across and a semi following the bend looks sharp and they will either over run their lane or hit the curb. I suspect it could just be the angle of the shot and hard to judge width of the lane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan