HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
To me, I think the heart of the difference (besides the economies and growth patterns and the rest of that) is in the culture of the two cities. Portland just isn't a serious place in my opinion. The culture is laid back to the point of laziness and not being serious. Portland is content with what it has, for the most part. Seattle, on the other hand, has long been aware that it can be a premier city if it works toward it. It still has the overall West Coast relaxed feeling, but Seattle remains serious, competent, and competitive enough to be continually improving, and that's how Seattle can be on par with cities like San Francisco and Chicago. Me, personally? Seattle's my favorite city on the West Coast (leaving the Kings issue aside).
First of all great shots -- you really captured the best of Seattle with the stunning views and great lighting.

I agree to an extent about the differences between the two cities. Around 30-40 years ago Portland was able to take a look at its West Coast neighbors' growth patterns as it was growing more slowly. They were booming in the post-WWII, Cold War economy and Portland just didn't have the same booming economic base. So in a somewhat simplistic nutshell, it seems the Portland region, with the help of progressive-minded governors, mayors, etc., focused starting in the 1970s on reversing the sprawling, auto-focused, downtown-killing policies that were hurting cities everywhere. And I think that, while this has lead to some great urban planning success, the region took this success for granted and got complacent about economic development. For many years, the thinking was 'let Seattle and California choke on traffic and sprawl, we'll go in another direction with light rail and parks and growth boundaries' -- which is great but this approach, in itself, results in a more carefully monitored, planned economy rather than a more competitive, growth-at-all-costs economy. Although I think there's been renewed emphasis in the last few years on economic development (South Waterfront, for example).

Having lived in both cities, I love different aspects of each but prefer living in Portland. It doesn't have Seattle's more exciting global, corporate culture... but I found, for myself, that Portland is exciting in its own ways that make the day-to-day living more 'livable.' It's fun to watch the two cities grow, despite so many similarities from politics to weather to in-city population, in pretty different ways.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 6:39 PM

^^^ Sorry for babbling off-topic btw ... thanks for sharing the great pics

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 7:15 PM

Very nice thread, some great shots in there.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 1:16 AM

This shot right here just does it for me:

Cup of Joe in the Park (20/365) by C.M. Keiner, on Flickr

Great set!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 1:48 PM
Registered Ugly

Some of the best photos of Seattle I've seen. I fell in love with the place last year and have been trying to find my way back ever since. I can see it not being for everybody, but for some of us, it captures the heart.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow, Seattle is a lot grittier than I thought.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2013, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Some of the best photos of Seattle I've seen. I fell in love with the place last year and have been trying to find my way back ever since. I can see it not being for everybody, but for some of us, it captures the heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Wow, Seattle is a lot grittier than I thought.
Damn straight to both of you.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 6:58 AM

Looking at your photos just made my day. Thank you : )

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 5:17 PM

Seattle is a joy.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 6:43 PM
See ya down under, mates

Nice photos. Is the Space Needle staying green on top? I'm not sure I like that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Nice photos. Is the Space Needle staying green on top? I'm not sure I like that.
It will have that design through April. They had a contest for the 50th anniversary and that design won. I'm not a fan of it.

http://www.spaceneedle.com/news/2012...p-this-winner/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2013, 9:17 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

That's the ticket!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 8:06 AM
furified freestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan
I'm not thrilled about having my basketball team taken from me
neither was seattle! i do feel bad for sacramento's loss, but i at least see where the financial decision is being made with the kings. the supersonics, though, were straight up pillaged from seattle, an act of collusion between the OKC team and the NBA, particularly david stern. plus hey, i'm stoked that the blazers can reacquaint with their longtime rival.

um anyway, great pics! and believe it or not, i hear where you're coming from with your latest assessment of portland, as do i with downtownpdx's reply. both fair opinions.

kudos on the last photo. i've been to seattle five or six times and have not once seen mount rainier from there.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
neither was seattle! i do feel bad for sacramento's loss, but i at least see where the financial decision is being made with the kings. the supersonics, though, were straight up pillaged from seattle, an act of collusion between the OKC team and the NBA, particularly david stern. plus hey, i'm stoked that the blazers can reacquaint with their longtime rival.

um anyway, great pics! and believe it or not, i hear where you're coming from with your latest assessment of portland, as do i with downtownpdx's reply. both fair opinions.

kudos on the last photo. i've been to seattle five or six times and have not once seen mount rainier from there.
IT AIN'T OVER YET!

Geez, how many times am I gonna have to say that to you Portlandians? Everywhere I go in my Kings jacket, they say the same thing. Yeesh!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 7:54 PM
hemelschraper

Excellent photography, thanks!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2013, 10:31 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Wow, it's a lot bigger than I thought it was. Taller too.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:00 AM

Thank you for this really nice set of photos. Seattle is definitely one of the next cities on my list to visit.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 4:25 AM

This is the best set of Seattle pictures I've ever seen. Now when you get back to Portland try to top this post with Portland's less dramatic setting / built environment and I'll be really impressed.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2013, 8:15 AM

Love it and miss it. Thanks for this awesome set.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2013, 2:59 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

Of all the Pac NW cities, I most prefer Seattle. The economy, music, setting, intelligent people...incredibly dynamic, as these pictures prove in spades. It's too bad that they can't bury I-5 though. I still think Portland's interchanges are much less obtrusive and more avoidable, while Vancouver doesn't really have any. Still, the highway is hardly a dealbreaker for the city - it's still gorgeous and very urban.

With more urban development and condo towers like Vancouver, and a better, infilled, and crunchier urban scene a la Portland, Seattle is really evolving into the best of both worlds IMO. Also, you don't have (sorry) the laziness and self-satisfaction that sometimes plagues the two other NW metropoli as others have said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos