HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 8:16 AM

Los Angeles - "A Paper Tears Apart in a City That Never Quite Came Together"

NYT calls Los Angeles a “city that never quite came together” that has “not developed the political, cultural and philanthropic institutions that have proved critical in other American cities.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/30/u...les-times.html

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 3:21 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I never really thought about this, but I can kinda see it now. I recall a classmate back in my grad school years that was from Placentia, but never identified with the "LA region". When people would ask where she was from, she would just say "California" and if asked to be more specific she'd toss out Southern California.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 3:37 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
I never really thought about this, but I can kinda see it now. I recall a classmate back in my grad school years that was from Placentia, but never identified with the "LA region". When people would ask where she was from, she would just say "California" and if asked to be more specific she'd toss out Southern California.
orange county is like half it's own thing, it seems like.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 3:44 PM
Paramoderator

KCRW is the new LA Times

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 4:39 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
orange county is like half it's own thing, it seems like.
Yeah, nobody from New Jersey would ever say they’re from NYC.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:07 PM
TL;DR

I think it's just that these regions are so gigantic and sprawling that they can't really share a unified culture. Natural boundaries or political ones tend to divide even people within an MSA into different subregions that identify differently. I don't think LA is unique in having different subregions and cultures, roughly broken down along county lines.

I feel like a fair bit of this is racial - white outer-suburbanites don't want to self-identify with the majority-minority core cities and first-ring suburbs. But race isn't everything; white New Jerseyans aren't objectively very different from white Long Islanders, but they would never group themselves together.

Of course, these same regions tend to come together over sports, etc so clearly the differences aren't irreconcilable.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:08 PM

Hehe, yet another NYT article that writes about LA with a condescending angle. They're obsessed with LA, it seems.

Here you go, from The Wrap:

If LA Journalists Covered New York Like the New York Times Covers LA
Ross A. Lincoln | Last Updated: February 2, 2018 @ 12:52 AM

Quote:
The New York Times wrote another hilariously detached story about L.A. this week, making America’s second-largest city sound like a primitive society on a foreign planet. The Times called us a “city that never quite came together” that has “not developed the political, cultural and philanthropic institutions that have proved critical in other American cities.”

We wondered, as we read the article by bonfire in our tent made of trash, what it would look like if L.A. journalists wrote about New York the way the Times writes about us. Here’s our best guess:

They’re Walkin’ Here: New York’s Hep Cats, Hot Dogs and Many, Many Rats Prefer Carbs to Cars

Most people think of New York City as a sleepy town on the banks of the Hudson River, or as a reference from half-forgotten Jazz standards by the likes of Dave Brubeck or Miles Davis.

But new visitors to New York may be surprised to learn that it has undergone many artistic developments since the 1950s. While you can still find “hepcats” and “angel headed hipsters,” many also enjoy a form of art called “hip-hop,” or “rap,” in which people just talk in public parks over percussive rhythms and illegally appropriated music.

New Yorkers can often be seen in expensive business suits complaining about the quality of coffee, which, for some reason, they call “espresso.” The caffeine boost it provides causes a relativistic distortion of their perception of time, giving rise to the term “New York Minute.”

New Yorkers travel about their city using a curious, underground train system they call the “sub-way.” While most New Yorkers I spoke to were aware of the existence of the automobile, they actually prefer these “sub-way” carriages and often can be seen using them as late as midnight, often joined by rats.

Outsiders may be unaware that the city’s harbor is home to a great statue dedicated to liberty, which is a synonym for freedom. The copper colossus, a tasteful aqua green that compliments the ocean blue surrounding it, stands at least 50 feet high. It reflects the city’s fierce libertarian values: New York is a city so free that people often pile bags of garbage on the sidewalks.

To get a sense of the city’s current political climate, we did not reach out to the current mayor or any currently serving city officials for this article, which is fine, it’s all fine. Instead, we spoke to a former mayor who has not held public office of any kind since 2001. The former mayor told us that despite having had no operational understanding of New York politics in nearly 20 years, he is certain New Yorkers have very low self esteem about their city. “We are a global city,” he told us.
“[but] we need to see ourselves as a global city.”
[...]

Link: https://www.thewrap.com/la-journalis...mes-covers-la/

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:22 PM

The same story could be written about Phoenix, which used LA as its civic template. There are few civic stewards, Fortune 500 companies, old wealth, or philanthropists. Phoenix came of age after WWII, so its urban form is entirely autocentric.The regional name for the metroplex is not Phoenix but "the Valley". Its newspaper is a Gannett Mcpaper with hardly any investigative reporters. In some ways, Phoenix feels like a suburb itself, maybe of LA, or maybe of its own suburbs. Three of its major sports' franchises carry the geographic name of Arizona rather than Phoenix. The lack of energy shows up in a lower-end economy based on homebuilding and back-office operations. LA is extraordinarily vital by comparison.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 5:24 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleri View Post
In some ways, Phoenix feels like a suburb itself, maybe of LA, or maybe of its own suburbs.
in chicago we joke that phoenix is chicagoland's westernmost suburb.

it's at least a little true.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Hehe, yet another NYT article that writes about LA with a condescending angle. They're obsessed with LA, it seems.

Here you go, from The Wrap:

If LA Journalists Covered New York Like the New York Times Covers LA
Ross A. Lincoln | Last Updated: February 2, 2018 @ 12:52 AM

[...]

Link: https://www.thewrap.com/la-journalis...mes-covers-la/
Control your inferiority complex. The author of this article is from Los Angeles.

https://twitter.com/Rossalincoln?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Unlike the pathetic LAT, the NYT is the global paper of record and has office and media presence all over the world, including Los Angeles. All Los Angeles articles are written by the Los Angeles division of the New York Times. The New York newsroom has better things to do than write about Los Angeles.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
Control your inferiority complex. The author of this article is from Los Angeles.

Unlike the pathetic LAT, the NYT is the global paper of record and has office and media presence all over the world, including Los Angeles. All Los Angeles articles are written by the Los Angeles division of the New York Times. The New York newsroom has better things to do than write about Los Angeles.
Wow, snarky.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 7:00 PM
Urbanite in Suburbia

Quote:

Haha...jeez...I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be tough and not get offended easily.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-In-Cali View Post
Haha...jeez...I thought New Yorkers were supposed to be tough and not get offended easily.
I think that's just a stereotype. I mean come on, I post one tongue-in-cheek article and *pah-JOW!* I'm reduced to an inferiority complex.

Or maybe the person is not originally from NYC.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 7:40 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

I agree with the overall tone that LA and its citzens lack a certain sense of self-identity, owing largely to its geographic vastness and the disconnected communities that are a result of it. Angelenos (relatively speaking) really aren't knowledgeable about the city they live in, how it functions, and how to improve it; New Yorkers do.

On the other hand, I don't think that LA is lacking in cultural and philanthropic institutions. Getty, Huntington, Simon, Broad, Hammer -- all wealthy tycoons who established their own namesake museums. And Disney was instrumental in forming CalArts, which at less than 60 years old, is now a highly regard and selective arts school.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:

Hahahahahahahaha this is great.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:28 PM

Quote:

It's a good thing NY ers don't need constant justification, adulation and reassurance that they live in a great city... They Easily have the lowest self esteem of any group of people on earth

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 9:34 PM
The City

Quote:

"Rah rah! We're number one!"

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:23 PM

I read the internet, NYC is just one big GAP, Chilis and Starbucks now

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:38 PM
<-- Chicago's roots.

IMO, LA is missing large public spaces. It needs more public gathering spaces in general, but could benefit from one or two big meeting places. Even Tokyo has Shibuya and the area near Parliament.

When something major occurs in big cities, there's always an area where you'll find people gathering to protest, party, etc. When you're in an urban setting surrounded by hundreds of thousands to millions of people on the street, it makes you look at your city differently.

Where is that in LA? No, the Academy Awards don't count. What would be a good contender?

Common - Resurrection (Video Mix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmOd0GKuztE

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
It's a good thing NY ers don't need constant justification, adulation and reassurance that they live in a great city... They Easily have the lowest self esteem of any group of people on earth

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions