HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 6:32 PM
life is good

Freret reno

#NOLA by thaeisahtbizall, on Flickr

other Freret add floor/reno

Will post more later...

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:02 PM
TL;DR

Oh wow. Didn't know they were adding a second story to the old Latrina's!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 7:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oh wow. Didn't know they were adding a second story to the old Latrina's!
Man Latrinas has to be the best name ever.

Did Kirschmans ever release any more details about their project on Freret?

I hope they force this Waffle House to the corner of the street. I don't like this set back from the corner. Otherwise Its better than whats there currently but not the best use of space.

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 18, 2015 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2015, 10:03 PM

1031 Canal

They've got most of the old Woolworth building razed down to street level. I suppose construction won't be too far off.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/wp-conten...-Rendering.jpg

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 12:29 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgray View Post
They've got most of the old Woolworth building razed down to street level. I suppose construction won't be too far off.

http://canalstreetbeat.com/wp-conten...-Rendering.jpg
Its possible they were waiting to really get going until they sold NOPSI building. Pretty coincidental timing.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 1:24 AM
TL;DR

Ugh... How many billion were spent on the new hospitals only to have a truckstop-quality Waffle House plopped across the street? Agreed that it's better than the used car lot though.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 1:58 AM
life is good

Quote:
Ugh... How many billion were spent on the new hospitals only to have a truckstop-quality Waffle House plopped across the street? Agreed that it's better than the used car lot though.
Can't believe they didn't put apartments on top of the restaurant and build on more of the lot... as you say better than a parking lot but not that much.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
Can't believe they didn't put apartments on top of the restaurant and build on more of the lot... as you say better than a parking lot but not that much.
You want to live on top of a Waffle House?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamsalfl View Post
You want to live on top of a Waffle House?
Who doesn't? All food should be breakfast food.

On a serious note... as much as it may suck, you have to give it to them. It's a smart move on their part. They are a 24/7 operation, just like a hospital. I'm sure they'll do well in the location.

What's unfortunate is the fact that they could have just leased retail space in one of the hospital parking garages. I guess Awful Haus doesn't like to lease.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 4:40 AM
life is good

Lol! I'm a foodie but I'm a big fan of Waffle House's food. And with sufficient ventilation systems the smell wouldn't be an issue.

NOLA needs all the housing it can get is all I'm saying and that's now a prime location... well said Rev. Cletus about instead leasing a retail space

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 5:22 AM

Sort of an odd proposal...

http://www.bizneworleans.com/Leslie/...on-Dollar-Man/

" From Donegan’s passion for his favorite physical activity comes a colossus concept to build a $100 million dollar multi-purpose, mixed-use, world-class health and wellness facility right in the heart of Mid-City."

Doesn't say who the financial backers are/would be... thinking this is just a pipe dream, but thought I'd post.

Last edited by Chris from N.O.; Feb 20, 2015 at 5:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 6:52 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Modeled after the now shuttered Athletic Club at the Illinois Center in downtown Chicago, and employing the New Urbanism principles of Seaside, FL, Donegan said Better + Boulder’s village will embrace the architectural heritage of the Mid-City neighborhood, while introducing new and innovative design and construction materials and methods that complement 21st century venues and settings.
Interesting mix of architectures. I didn't know it was still 1990.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 8:31 PM

Quote:
My sentiment, exactly! Doesn't the Historic Districts Landmarks Commission help guide the hand of new design in historic parts of the city, even if a new Hospital or Office building is being built? I haven't noticed any 1970's era Popeye's being protected from demolition when I lived there. I would think another architectural eyesore stamped "generic cookie cutter fast food restaurant" doesn't add much to the ambiance of the city. I guess this is a strong opinion, I don't live there any longer but I hope the future changes for the better. I was living in the City when the suburban style Hotel.....Days Inn? Was built downtown. How sad!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 8:54 PM

World Trade Center

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...enter_1.html#0

This must be a joke. But today isn't April 1st. Here is the Four Seasons. Someone should be fired for this level of kiddie-crap.

I think I'll take Conrad.

Last edited by Reverend_Cletus; Feb 20, 2015 at 11:45 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 9:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post
http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...enter_1.html#0

This must be a joke. But today it's April 1st. Here is the Four Seasons. Someone should be fired for this level of kiddie-crap.

Interesting... yeah the Four Seasons isnt horrible but the Conrad is a classic design and look. Something that will age well... classy Vegas is what it looks like! Four Seasons is still a better brand but that look is kind of cheesy.. maybe better renderings could change that though. BTW these two proposals are an example of why you hire good architects but also architects that can actually render decently. Conrads is just so much better and cleaner.

Also what do you mean todays April 1st?

Really Hotel Alessandra ? Kimye ? lololol

Ok after looking all the proposals over .. Conrad is by far the best but with Godfrey a close second. What were some of these architects thinking? Specifically the ground floor architecture. Im especially surprised at how bad HRIs ground floor addition looked. Yuck!

The only flaw I see in the Conrads is their proposed reuse of the top of the mart space. That space needs to be more than a museum.. it needs to be a cocktail lounge / restaurant. Too great of views to not use it for more.

Godfreys I think will have better amenities that locals will actually use. so I hope Conrad if they win incorporate some of those ideas.

New Photos I took today in CBD:

Ace Hotel:

The Paramount, The Park and The Beacon (South Market District)

Archidiocese Building Renovations:

Coroners Office:

Last edited by tennis1400; Feb 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 10:13 PM

I think the Conrad proposal is the best overall and most thought-out. I especially appreciate they've looked into options for better use of the parking spaces in that area with an eye for further developing that stretch near the Convention Center. And it can only help that it's in the same brand group as the Hilton next door.

The design I think is beautiful and something modern that our CBD is lacking.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 10:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
I think the Conrad proposal is the best overall and most thought-out. I especially appreciate they've looked into options for better use of the parking spaces in that area with an eye for further developing that stretch near the Convention Center. And it can only help that it's in the same brand group as the Hilton next door.

The design I think is beautiful and something modern that our CBD is lacking.

Agree .. I just hope they utilize the rooftop for more than just a museum.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 11:12 PM

Great pictures! Thanks for posting as always. I couldn't quite tell, but are they moving forward with the other building on that block? I remember seeing plans posted a while ago and one would think that they might as well build it all at once rather than as two separate projects. At any rate it's great to see projects that move along swiftly!

Regarding the WTC, I agree that the Conrad looks great, but I wonder how much these will evolve as things progress. I mostly just hope that they get moving ASAP. It's been empty for too long and the city could use the money.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 11:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
Great pictures! Thanks for posting as always. I couldn't quite tell, but are they moving forward with the other building on that block? I remember seeing plans posted a while ago and one would think that they might as well build it all at once rather than as two separate projects. At any rate it's great to see projects that move along swiftly!

Regarding the WTC, I agree that the Conrad looks great, but I wonder how much these will evolve as things progress. I mostly just hope that they get moving ASAP. It's been empty for too long and the city could use the money.
Yes the Beacon is the one where they are starting the first floor.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Cletus View Post

This must be a joke. But today isn't April 1st. Here is the Four Seasons. Someone should be fired for this level of kiddie-crap.

Orlando or Vegas, take your pick.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations