HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 5:17 PM

Portland - American Eden

After reading the op. ed piece about seattle, I decided to post this article in Travel and Leisure.

Although I felt the 'smiling' bit was corny, much was accurate. It is the ethos of the city that is compelling, not the views.

For all of us Portlanders, I think there is a hope that we can establish and maintain a different paradym.

http://www.travelandleisure.com/articles/american-eden

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 5:26 PM

Portland is awesome, something to be proud of for sure.

-unknown

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 6:06 PM

I have lived in Portland, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas, and now San Diego. Portland is by far my favorite city! No other city offers so much beauty, civility, relaxation, live music, inexpensive fun(nightlife too), and close-by geographic diversity(Waterfalls, Cascade peaks, Deserts, Ocean, wine country, rivers, parks, and scenic vistas......When giving Portland accolades, you have to use a run on sentence. LOL! I long for the day when I am able to move back to my hometown.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2007, 11:14 PM
neighborhoods first

Nice article. I wouldn't mind living in Portland someday. For now, Seattle will have to do.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
Green Giant

The main reason Portland is able to develope and refine its own distinct identity is intelligant regional and city planning which in turn attracts the adventurist, young, creative, and ecclectic crowd, who are drawn and blend into the cities vibe (culture) enriching the cities ethos. The irony of all this promotion of the City is that, soon hords of non-assimulating inbounders wanting the good life, will dilute or destroy the culture, the City has maticulously been trying to incubate. Where is Tom McCall when you need him!!

Last edited by Drew-Ski; Jul 21, 2007 at 12:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 7:18 AM

^Things never stay the same, do they?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 7:30 PM
Green Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Box View Post
^Things never stay the same, do they?
Can you imagine if Oregon had no land use planning............???????

Last edited by Drew-Ski; Jul 21, 2007 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 5:55 AM

^That would be a very different Oregon. The Portland I lived in was much the same, but now it is building up impressively and is facing much of the same pressures as Seattle and other West Coast cities. I think that Portland is handling it much better than Seattle did and currently is, but land is becoming increasingly expensive around these parts (Seattle and Portland).

Old Posted Jul 22, 2007, 7:49 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew-Ski View Post
The irony of all this promotion of the City is that, soon hords of non-assimulating inbounders wanting the good life, will dilute or destroy the culture, the City has maticulously been trying to incubate. Where is Tom McCall when you need him!!
Actually, my fear isn't that the people who move here will destroy the culture of Portland. People come here because it is a special city, and there's a spirit of optimism that newcomers bring as they discover and enjoy the things that make Portland special. Sure, the city will change as it grows, but why must change be seen as bad? I love the changes I've seen (most of them anyway... the good outnumber the bad by far).

My fear is that without proper planning, anyone who can't afford $1,000 a month rent will be priced out of the very neighborhoods that bring people to Portland.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 12:05 AM

I like that thread title just fine, so why don't we make this an "accolades" thread?

Today, news that we are #2 and #5.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 3:42 PM

I guess the bright side of the AARP #5 best place to retire is that our condo will continue to sell (and the Mirabella will probably be built sooner rather than later). I just can't believe we are the number 2 green city worldwide...could that be right?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 4:49 PM

Nice accolades!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 5:10 PM
Well designed mixed use

Quote:
I guess the bright side of the AARP #5 best place to retire is that our condo will continue to sell
Except...our condos aren't really selling too well right now. Inventory is moving at the entry level price point, but the majority of condos are just sitting on the market. I've even heard a rumor--that I've not confirmed--that the Wyatt is selling so poorly it may be become apartments.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 6:08 PM

^true, even Homer Williams was saying he going to let the market settle before building more condos (projected late 2008) in another article. When developers are saying it's slowing down, you can bet the market is looking pretty poor.

However, Portland just received the accolades so it would be interesting if we could track what kind of interest this might generate for the boomers...if any at all...and whether or not that really is a good thing. I've been to the retirement cities outside of Phoenix and I gots to tell ya, I would hate to see something like there here.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2007, 6:15 PM
Well designed mixed use

I don't think that Portland would attract the same type of retirees as Phoenix. I wouldn't mind luring in some seniors to the city. They pay the same in taxes, but tend not to use as many social services--Sure, they use Medicare, but that's a federal expense.

There's big geographical movement in medical migration, that is, elderly people moving to cities that have good health care. It seems like Portland would be the perfect fit.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 8:44 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

I'd like to continue seeing a mix of demographics in Portland...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 2:47 PM

^^^Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-senior or anything. In fact, I find elderly people add a bunch of vibrancy to the city, imparting their knowledge while riding the streetcar, or telling stories about the old Portland while sipping coffee at Stumptown. However, many 'elderly' communities look like this:

and that is a scary thought! It could happen in Clackamas or Forest Grove.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 4:32 AM

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 5:05 AM

I consider myself a senior now....yikes...time fly's! One concern I have with many of the senior population: Yes, they pay taxes but they won't vote for a school bond issue if their lives depended upon it. I know this is a generalization but I have found it true much of the time.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2007, 2:16 PM

PacificNW, think about the poor kids in Florida. They don't get voted jack in school bond issues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues