HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 8, 2007, 3:53 PM

O interviews Mike McCulloch with the Portland Design Commission

A believer in density, the power of design
Thursday, November 08, 2007
Fred Leeson
The Oregonian

When he began, the Pearl District was mostly rail yards and South Waterfront was barely a gleam in a developer's eye.

Now, 11 years after then-Mayor Vera Katz appointed him to the Portland Design Commission, architect Mike McCulloch can look back on his contributions to unprecedented growth in Portland's skyline.

McCulloch, ending his tenure soon, helped change procedures so developers get comments from the commission and public earlier in the design process. McCulloch is the commission's vice chairman and former chairman.

An optimist, McCulloch believes in the power of good design to solve difficult problems. He thinks public discourse on buildings and urban design improves the city. He discussed a range of topics in an expansive interview at his Northwest Portland home and studio:

Density: "It makes all kinds of sense to increase the density of the city versus chewing up farmland on the perimeter. At first inspection, it seems like expansion is the cheapest thing to do. But in the long run, it's the most expensive. As increases in density occur, Portland is only going to get better and better, more and more fitted to its place."

Developers: "I have a great respect for developers because I think they are creative risk-takers, without whom the city would languish. The strength of our local developers is that they literally live with the long-term impact of their projects. I hope they continue to consider 'three blocks in each direction' from their projects, which has always been my mantra."

What's unique about Portland: "Many American cities tear down, grind up and start over with each generation. That's not so in Portland, which is more similar to European cities. Portland is evolutionary. It honors what our parents and grandparents established. We refine. We enrich. Our innovations tend to be incremental and not drastic.

"There's an attention to quality here that has been part of the heritage of Portland. We value good planning, and we value good architecture. We've been guided by thoughtful architects and planners over the years. We're careful, and we have good genes."

Public involvement: "Public comment on design is extremely helpful . . . even essential. I wish there was more participation. People have good ideas. In the best scenarios, it's an expression of collective thinking by a neighborhood organization through their land-use committee.

"It's critical to have public discussion about design because it raises awareness and can shape the environment. We need to talk about our collective future and then leave our best design aspirations for our children."

Portland Aerial Tram: "I think the tram is an unqualified success. I think it is spectacular in every way. When you look at what an investment like that is leveraging, it's incalculable. The tram is effectively a new 'street'; it just happens to be in the air. It shows Portland's willingness to innovate."

The downtown condo market: "We are building housing at a socioeconomic level that is relatively exclusive. But once this first wave goes through, there will be a succeeding wave of more affordable projects by necessity.

"I'm looking forward to that next wave, which is really the enrichment wave, adding a deeper cross section of culture. You have to start with the first wave and then encourage the filling out of the urban culture. Take a look at the Civic (condo/apartment project) on Burnside, which is a good example of things to come."

Commission hearings: "What I've enjoyed most is the full participation by the development and design communities in the discussion about design. It's not always about how beautiful it is, how big it is or how much money it will make. There's a central core of discussion about how it affects the livability of the city, and how it strengthens -- or weakens -- what we have here. I feel privileged to have participated."

"The next generation of planning debate is now under way. The Design Commission is a great forum to affect our city's future, and my hope is that it always thrives in this vital mission."

Portland News: 503-221-8199; portland@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/o...810.xml&coll=7

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues