HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:29 PM
The New Republic

That's turning into one of my favourite stretches of street in the city. Love the brick, the strong apron, and those lamp posts are beautiful.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:33 PM

It would be great if they could implement that look in the whole warehouse/Entertainment didstrict. It would help tie the area together better.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I'm kinda surprised that Rob Ford didn't find a way to eliminate these bike paths.
He tore them out of Jarvis, but they persist on a few streets, hopefully to expand even more.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 8:53 PM

IIRC Ford actually supported those lanes, for some reason. Not really sure why considering that they removed a car lane. Usually that lane was used for parking though so maybe it was less of a loss than what it first appears as. Bay Street and Simcoe street also got bike lanes this year. Fords term was a net benefit for bikes, but there was still only 3 streets with new bike lanes over 4 years, not that big of an improvement.

Now if they could get the lanes over to at least Sherbourne, I would be happy.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:55 PM
Aimless Wanderer

^ Sherbourne has separated bike lanes running along its full length. They were installed to appease cyclists after the Jarvis lanes were removed.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softee View Post
^ Sherbourne has separated bike lanes running along its full length. They were installed to appease cyclists after the Jarvis lanes were removed.
I think he means extend the Richmond/Adelaide ones to Sherbourne.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 8:48 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Ah, check.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 9:25 PM
gettin' rich!

I foresee big things for the Entertainment District.

The density going up there is unreal.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:37 PM

Does this count? Lol

Downtown Cobourg by Kiril Strax, on Flickr

Maybe a little river canyon.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 9:58 PM
Ocean Breeze

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 6:06 PM

I never realized that street was 7 lines wide.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2014, 6:18 PM

If someone is wondering about the traffic jam in that West Georgia Street photo above, it is a daily event and all because of all those lanes narrowing down to the 3-lane Lions Gate Bridge.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 12:00 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Does this count? Lol

Downtown Cobourg by Kiril Strax, on Flickr

Maybe a little river canyon.
Cobourg has a fantastic main street. So does Port Hope. They're gems.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 1:33 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
If someone is wondering about the traffic jam in that West Georgia Street photo above, it is a daily event and all because of all those lanes narrowing down to the 3-lane Lions Gate Bridge.
They`re finally going to widen it, but only for bike lanes. Pretty unbelievable. For decades we were told the (not old growth) trees were sacred.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 1:35 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ What would be the point of adding car lanes though the park if the bridge is still a 3-lane bottleneck?

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 4:35 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ What would be the point of adding car lanes though the park if the bridge is still a 3-lane bottleneck?
It would reduce the parking lot in the middle of downtown while they switch the middle lane over - it's a very long stretch through Stanley Park.

Would also speed up things going southbound. It's a skinny road problem, not a volume problem. Increased sprawl is not possible in that area.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 4:43 AM
Volatile Pacivist

They should make the center lane a reversible transit-only lane, at least during rush hour. That would make the bus much quicker and therefore attract ridership and reduce the overall number of vehicles competing for road space.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 5:10 AM

My fantasy for the lions gate and causeway through the park is, to double deck the whole thing. Once the road enters the park have it turn into a two level road. Three lanes north, three lanes south and continue that way until you get to the north shore.

I realize this is probably an unpopular option to most people. I figure some of the complaints would be "its ugly". Which I disagree with. I actually do not find concrete structures, viaducts, overpasses etc ugly at all. The other issue people may have is that it isnt needed. Which again I disagree, if people want to believe that things built 80 years ago do not need to be upgraded, nothing I can say will change their minds.

Guess this is a bit off topic for this discussion though....

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 5:54 AM

^ Hang on to that thought, you might get what you ask for.

The Lion's Gate {or more specifically the Causeway thru Stanley Park} is on a 100 years lease which is up in about 20 years. Of course the province has avoided the problem assuming the city will let it go for another 100 years but the parks Board has been both adamant and consistent...........the Causeway's days are numbered.

The Parks Board will keep the Causeway for bikes/pedestrians and maybe buses but cars are out of luck. Unless an underground route is built thru Stanley Park, in 20 years that maybe the most vacant 7 lanes of road in the country. The urban Canyon will still be there but none of the lights on the road.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 6:10 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Double decking would require the bridge to be replaced as the aging structure could not carry double the road deck weight. But that would be an idea of a second crossing were built or if the current bridge were replaced. Of course I would never support an approach that didn't involve significantly shifting the mode share away from private autos. If a new bridge was built I would not accept anything less than an LRT or skytrain corridor being included, or at the very least dedicated transit lanes.

As far as the causeway lease, i find it pretty hard to believe that the City and Province would allow the Parks Board to cut off a major road artery like that. Is there some reason they couldn't just claim the corridor using an eminent domain clause?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada