HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 4:09 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Just curious, are you confident a 2000ft tower would not do well financially at that location, or is it more of a "what if" on your part?
Just a what-if, considering this would surely be on the tail end of this boom. We've yet to see what effect the avalanche of incoming units will have, but if it's feasible, it's feasible. I'm definitely team megatall, but I'm just not gonna count my chickens before they hatch.

Last edited by Domer2019; Nov 21, 2017 at 6:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.surfacemag.com/articles/s...op-their-egos/

Stephen M. Ross to Architects: Drop Your Egos

November 14, 2017
Thanks for sharing – a great read. There's also a few short interviews further down the page with prominent architects on working with Stephen.

Here's an interesting bit from David Childs of SOM:

Quote:
I’m doing a range of things with him now—one in Chicago; the tower at 35 Hudson Yards; and an office building in West Palm Beach, part of which is a preservation job.
It could be for the 78 site, but it seems more likely this might be the Spire site...

Old Posted Nov 21, 2017, 5:49 PM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Thanks for sharing – a great read. There's also a few short interviews further down the page with prominent architects on working with Stephen.

Here's an interesting bit from David Childs of SOM:

It could be for the 78 site, but it seems more likely this might be the Spire site...
Hopefully him working on the Freedom Tower makes him want to build bigger, instead of being afraid of backlash for doing so...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:41 AM
Small but Mighty

I hate to open this back up. . . but I have NEVER seen this picture before. . .

Here is the link: http://ismaelsotodesign.com/PROFESSIONAL-EXPERIENCE

It looks pretty promising. The other two skyscrapers in this page are actual projects. The one in San Fran is a Related project. . . I don't know what this image means, but if it means what I think it does than omg. Of course I could be completely off.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:00 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
I hate to open this back up. . . but I have NEVER seen this picture before. . .

Here is the link: http://ismaelsotodesign.com/PROFESSIONAL-EXPERIENCE

It looks pretty promising. The other two skyscrapers in this page are actual projects. The one in San Fran is a Related project. . . I don't know what this image means, but if it means what I think it does than omg. Of course I could be completely off.
Interesting find. Now to identify if this is legitimate in any way or if it's just an exercise in creativity on their part. I get sort of a Marinas Towers vibe from this - as in experimentation that's not too bad. I don't like how the second shorter tower is inverted and top heavy though. The main tower also does not appear to be 2000ft.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 7:24 AM

Impressive concept, looks like a couple of lamps/bottles from the 70's! My guess is 1400-1600 ft.

Would like to see a rendering at nite....

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 8:12 AM

Star Wars? ^^^

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 1:02 PM

Interesting. And it does jump out at you as much as the Spire would have. If Related were to build this I think they would deserve a lot of credit for going out and finding something just as impressive as the Calatrava. Only thing is we will still need a Santiago Calatrava building or atleast bridge in the city of Chicago.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Related will never build anything that interesting on the spire site.

But it would have been cool to have a Hadid supertall in this town.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:48 PM

The smaller one is around 75 floors, the larger one around 115. The round shape makes good use of the existing foundation. I wouldn't say this is all that unrealistic.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:29 PM
Small but Mighty

While I don't have this confirmed, it looks like this might be it. The image is under "Professional Experience" in his portfolio page. Why would he put a personal project under his "Professional" page? Also, on the same page the other two projects are real (as I have said before). Most of all, the one in San Fran is a Related Project, suggesting that he has done design work for them in the past. It also says he has professional experience at SOM, and Zaha Hadid (the firm that designed these structures). Most of all, this building has a practicality that only Related would do. The taller tower is clearly built on the same foundation as the original spire. Meanwhile, the taller tower doesn't go to 2,00 ft (which I think everyone knew probably wouldn't happen). It is definitely different, and architectural significant. They chose to use Zaha Hadid, one of the most famous firms in the world to fulfill this task. Now, it is possible that they asked multiple firms to create designs for them (and that would explain why BIG was mentioned earlier) but why them would they hire a professional design guy? Either way, this image has at least something to do with the project, it could be the real design, the preliminary design or something else. For me, it has all the hallmarks of a Related building.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:37 PM
BANNED

This fits perfectly with Chicago and manages to echo Sears and Marina towers at the same time, an uncanny accomplishment. But, yeah, would take a developer with vision and a more global POV.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:48 PM

If you assume the same overall floor-to-height ratio as Related's neighboring project (12.3 ft per floor) then you get heights of 922 FT and 1,415 FT. That second one is only 35 shy of Sears. If real, then Trump's days at #2 are probably numbered, Vista wont be #3 for long, and even Sears could threatened.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 3:58 PM
1st Ward

Really dig the design. Looks really organic. I say build the taller tower as is. The shorter tower looks like it need a little work, however. Maybe adding a setback to it ala the taller tower might help?

I don't mind not having the height be 2000 ft. It would honestly look a bit awkward when viewed from the lake to have such a tall building right along LSD. 1500' would look a lot more balanced in the skyline as a whole.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Off topic chicago vs. New york posts have been deleted.

Please stay on topic folks.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:10 PM
BANNED

This is a beautiful proposal.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:12 PM
THAT Guy

The shorter tower complements the proposed BKL tower across the river (assuming that still happens).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 5:30 PM

I like it - looks somewhat futuristic. My girlfriend finds it atrocious though LOL. What are the actual odds this is part of the real proposal?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:05 PM
BANNED

Not an architect or anything, but if this was a real "proposal" (in quotes because I know there's some specific criteria for something to actually be a proposal, I'm using it more colloquially), wouldn't it have a bigger unveiling than a guy's professional experience webpage?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
Not an architect or anything, but if this was a real "proposal" (in quotes because I know there's some specific criteria for something to actually be a proposal, I'm using it more colloquially), wouldn't it have a bigger unveiling than a guy's professional experience webpage?
You are assuming that everyone is watching some random architect's webpage for this without even knowing that he was the architect that Related had hired (if true). Just because it's out there doesn't mean there couldn't be an unveiling in the near future if this one is true. This was just a fluke that someone found it. I've helped launch numerous products that were just out there in the open for a month before there was any "news" about it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction