HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:17 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Show us your city's bus paint scheme (2017)

Hi everyone! We have done this thread in the past, but it's been a few years and these things change, so let's do it again.

Post photos of buses from your city, to show off what their paint scheme looks like. If there are different schemes for different buses, explain them.

Just please limit yourself to only buses and only one photo per paint scheme. We don't need 50 photos of the same bus, and trains can have their own thread.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 2:48 PM
More transit please

Sweet idea for a thread!

This is the paint scheme for all buses operated by Montreal's STM:

STM bendy-bus (Montreal, Canada) by Canadian Pacific, sur Flickr

Last edited by SkahHigh; Aug 10, 2017 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:06 PM

For Washington, DC, there are a TON of bus systems. I'd guess within the US the only cities with more are LA, SF, and maybe NY. So this'll be a long post.

The main bus system is Metrobus. They have several liveries.

Here's the regular livery for a normal local bus. Also common on articulated buses.

Metrobus has a series of limited stop lines, with their own brand called MetroExtra. It's the same as a local bus, except blue instead of red. These are BRT-lite: Fewer stops and single priority, but not special stations, pre-pay, or bus lanes (except in a few spots):

Metroway is the true-BRT brand. Metroway because it runs in a busway.

Then there are a bunch of smaller bus networks all over the region. Basically every county-level government in the DC area operates its own more local bus network, on top of Metrobus.

In DC there's DC Circulator:

The biggest county-level bus network is Montgomery County, Maryland's Ride On.

Ride On has its own limited-stop BRT-lite brand, called Ride On Extra. You can see how it's heavily influenced by MetroExtra.

photo from ride on

Neighboring Prince George's County has The Bus:

photo from mw transit photos on flickr

Frederick has TransIT:

photo from bladensburg-burgerchefguy on flickr[/size]

The area sort of halfway between DC and Baltimore has the Central Maryland Regional Transit Authority, or RTA. RTA is sort of new and has a bit of a Frankenstein bus fleet so I'm not going to show them all, but here's their most distinctive:

Cross into Virginia and the biggest local system is the Fairfax County Connector, with its ketchup and mustard buses:

The City of Fairfax, which isn't actually in Fairfax County, has CUE. Fun fact: I was one of three people who designed this paint scheme.

Arlington has ART:

Alexandria has DASH:

Prince William County and some of the smaller jurisdictions nearby run the Omni system.

Phew. Those are the local public bus systems. I'm skipping all the various commuter buses, university shuttles, intercity buses, tour buses, tiny bus-to-rail operators, and the absolutely endless litany of private coaches. I'm also skipping a lot of one-off special liveries or single line liveries that would just make this a completely unreadable post.

Last edited by Cirrus; Aug 10, 2017 at 7:17 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:38 PM

Fun to see the thread back! I spent much of the last year in the DC area and rode CUE and Metrobus frequently, and appreciated their sharp livery.

My current city Chapel Hill, NC is primarily served by Chapel Hill Transit, most of whose buses look like this:

Source: WUNC

The Triangle has plenty of other bus systems too, but I'll leave those to other posters

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 3:41 PM
Oak City

I've been very happy with the new designs that the local transit agencies have worked on. There are four cities in the Triangle that have their own transit systems - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and Cary.

There is also Triangle Transit authority that provides intracity service between the cities and the RDu airport and will operate the light-rail line when it opens.

Over the last year or so, they have unified their branding, going from CAT and DATA etc to Go Raleigh, Go Durham, Go Triangle, etc. along with matching designs for the buses but in different colors. It is an ongoing process and the new livery hasn't been rolled out to all buses in all systems yet.

The colors also tie in to the local universities; UNC Blue for Chapel Hill, Duke Blue for Durham, NC State Red for Raleigh.

Raleigh city buses:

Go Triangle bus in Raleigh. These offer service from Raleigh to the airport and to Cary, Chapel Hill, and Durham.

The town of Cary has been replacing their old, van-style buses (seen in the diagram above) with these new Go Cary buses with the new livery:

New Go Durham bus livery:

In addition to regular city buses and intracity buses, Raleigh and Durham both have downtown circulator buses. These are free, hop on hop buses around their respective downtowns:

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 4:15 PM

Hello, Cirrus. So these are our latest over here.

It is a bit understated (I'd like it to show warmer colors), and most often, some ads stuck to buses are still needed to fund the network.

Otherwise, you'll notice the RATP (Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens) and the STIF (Syndicat des Transports d'ïle-de-France) logos are still there, but I think a new local public agency called "Île-de-France Mobilités" is supposed to take over these older.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%8E...mobilit%C3%A9s

It's actually renaming STIF, and its range would cover a larger area, most noticeably the suburbs along the Seine river in the département des Yvelines, up to Mantes-la-Jolie, and Seine-et-Marne where there are popular theme parks like that of Disney. The same local transit authority should take over the entire metro area in the end, as a step forward into decentralization (SNCF out of regional business).

There are also some private operators of minor importance to serve remote suburbs, namely some of Essonne, Yvelines and Seine-et-Marne, cause public funding can't do the entire region.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:17 PM

^
I love the Paris mint color that brands all the transit. Does it have a name?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
^
Thanks. It's a daily ordinary thing to us, so you know... You're always somewhat more impressed by what's "out there", or positively exotic. I like the typical bloody red of London buses, personally, but that's just because we don't have them here.

I would call the color you like some sort "bleu turquoise" (very light blue like the beach water of the Pacific paradise islands) that's the very own of RATP when it comes to French transit agencies. I've never known any other scheme to them. It is really a recognizable signature of theirs, and possibly something typical of the city after all.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:39 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
^
Agreed. The entire RATP branding/schemes are sublime. Probably my favorite worldwide.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:40 PM
More transit please

Since some are doing a regional sort of thing, I'll include some of the other local agencies in Greater Montreal, excluding the regional agency called RTM because they're in the process of unifying their branding.

The STL serves Montreal's largest suburb, Laval (pop: 420,000) on a local scale and connects with a few Metro stations. It's paint scheme has changed a few times in the last few years but they seem to have settled on this one:

Société de transport de Laval 1611 by YT | transport photography, sur Flickr

The RTL serves the Urban Agglomeration of Longueuil (pop: 400,000), regrouping a bunch of cities on the South Shore (the rest are served by the RTM):

RTL Longueuil 21107 (1) by Alexander Ly, sur Flickr

The city of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu (pop: 100,000) has it's own bus service since it is quite independent but still has about 5,000 people commuting to Montreal daily, some via their express buses, which operate on a dedicated bus lane:

3567-25-7 by Martin Cirino, sur Flickr

Last edited by SkahHigh; Aug 10, 2017 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 5:52 PM

San Francisco's F and E streetcar lines run cars in the traditional paint schemes (aka "liveries") of transit systems from around the world:

I remember riding in cars just like #1076 from DC Transit as a small child.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2017, 9:08 PM

The Utah Transit Authority finally revealed their new bus scheme for the Provo-Orem Bus Rapid Transit project, which will open in 2019. It is a variation on their regular red, white, and blue scheme.

Regular UTA bus:

The new BRT scheme:

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 7:29 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Greater Lansing's main transit provider is CATA, and they've had this rather plain paint scheme for decades, now.

CATA Bus Station - East Lansing by Han Zheng, on Flickr

It's all right in the summer, but they look disgusting by the end of the winter months. lol

Old Posted Aug 11, 2017, 11:56 PM

RTS (Rochester, NY) Livery

RTS (Rochester, NY) Livery:

The previous livery was even less inspiring. But, I love the winter scenery in this picture

Source:
13WHAM

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 1:05 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

The standard SEPTA uniform for all buses.

iseptaphilly

A similar scheme is employed for LUCY buses which are operated by SEPTA but paid for by the institutions of University City.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2017, 11:21 PM
恭喜发财!

This is Shanghai's standard bus livery:

There are also pink and blue variants of this used on more suburban routes.

Route 71 Yan'an Road BRT (trolley bus):

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 12:03 AM
I am a typical

This simple vinyl wrap along the top of the bus has been the standard design since about 2010. Ads are less common than they used to be, so many buses either have the BioBus banner or nothing at all in that spot, just an empty frame. A lot of the most recent buses don't have ad frames at all. There are a handful of different spiral patterns that they use, it's not always exactly the same, but unless you're looking closely the average person can't tell. By just using the single strip of vinyl at the top they've brought the cost of putting a livery on the bus down to just a couple thousand dollars per unit. They used the savings to improve bus stops around the city with better signage and more shelters.

source

This is the design they used from the early 1980s to about 2007, there are about a dozen or so buses that still have this design but most have been changed to the current design. This is actually painted onto the bus, not a vinyl wrap, so these buses have this design unless the whole thing get repainted, which I think has only happened once.

source

This design used between 2005 and 2010 but it's no longer in use, it was put on buses they purchased those years and the design was removed from the buses and replaced by the green design in 2012. They had an issue during the winter where the salt and snow would damage the vinyl wrap and in some cases, brushing up with snowbanks at stops was pulling it off completely, so several of them had the wrap removed from the grey part at the bottom of the bus. Originally the design covered the windows at the back but they stopped that shortly after they introduced the design for unknown reasons. Regardless, this is a thing of the past now.

source

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 1:36 AM
More transit please

I hate the green design. Way too simplistic yet complicated.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 2:30 PM
Show me the blueprints

SEPTA livery just seems to get worse after every incarnation, which is a real shame since it has a great heritage to build on:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/gszyAbnhJy4/maxresdefault.jpg

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 13, 2017, 8:53 PM
Majestic

I believe this is the most current version of Calgary Transit's livery. It was introduced around 2007-2008 and it's undergone some tweaks. The shape of the waves has changed and such. It's hard to say because the livery is very inconsistent across the CT fleet.

<Photobucket link broken, so see linked images below>
BusDrawings

Flickr

Last edited by Boris2k7; Aug 14, 2017 at 8:44 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation