HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:22 AM
JACKinBeantown

Austin - The CVC Effect

Please post photos that show how the Capitol View Corridors are shaping the city's skyline.

It all starts with a great photo by corvairkeith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Today

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:33 AM

I've often wondered how the CVCs appear when viewed looking out of the Capitol dome.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 12:44 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
I've often wondered how the CVCs appear when viewed looking out of the Capitol dome.
That would be an interesting view. Maybe we can encourage Christopher Sherman (?) from OverAustin to fly around and take shots in different directions. Or anyone else with a drone who could get necessary permissions to fly over the Capitol (I'm assuming you'd need permission for that).

I will add, however, that it might not be as striking since there's no focal point (i.e., dome) in the other directions. Not until there's a lot more density at least.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

All the apartments along a CVC will be guaranteed unobstructed views for life. I'm looking froward to whatever anyone can post.

Here's an example (that's already old) from the 600 Guadalupe thread. Especially from 773 feet looking southwest.
http://panowings.com/folders/600guadalupe/

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:10 PM

The one thing obstructing the Lamar Bridge CVC is the cooling tower on top of the Faulk library....i wish they'd move that thing

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
The one thing obstructing the Lamar Bridge CVC is the cooling tower on top of the Faulk library....i wish they'd move that thing
Got a picture?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Got a picture?
You can see it in the above pic - it's covering up a small portion of the dome on the lower left side. I know, it's a small thing...but it's irritating!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

Yeah, I see it. I wouldn't have noticed it, but now I can't unsee it.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 9:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The picture really shows the potential of what the CVCs will do for the city but I don't think there is another view quite that dense yet. Give it another 5 to 10 years then we should have more.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
That would be an interesting view. Maybe we can encourage Christopher Sherman (?) from OverAustin to fly around and take shots in different directions. Or anyone else with a drone who could get necessary permissions to fly over the Capitol (I'm assuming you'd need permission for that).

I will add, however, that it might not be as striking since there's no focal point (i.e., dome) in the other directions. Not until there's a lot more density at least.
They haven't let him fly in the Capitol Complex since October 2015. You can do it, but you have to request permission through two state agencies who haven't given out flying rights since the drone prohibition at the Complex was enacted.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:54 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by architeckton View Post
They haven't let him fly in the Capitol Complex since October 2015. You can do it, but you have to request permission through two state agencies who haven't given out flying rights since the drone prohibition at the Complex was enacted.
Bummer. Silly red tape.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2017, 10:38 PM
JACKinBeantown

The ATX posted this CVC map in a new thread. For some reason I couldn't quote it, but I'm giving him/her the credit for it now.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...589853518&z=15

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 12:54 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
The ATX posted this CVC map in a new thread. For some reason I couldn't quote it, but I'm giving him/her the credit for it now.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...589853518&z=15
To further the spirit of giving credit, the map is wwmiv's creation (which ATX said in the other post).

And when looking at the map again, I'm going to bring up my opinion that West Campus should have no height limit whatsoever. None of the CVCs go over there and the density that is already there proves a demand. Its proximity to downtown and lack of nimby neighborhoods (relatively speaking) make it prime for expansion of CBD-style buildings. Obviously the downtown area isn't maxed out yet, but taking the limitations off of West Campus can help to create a fairly seamless pattern of development between CBD, the Capitol Complex, and West Campus. I know others have stated this before, but I just wanted to bring it up again.

I'm still curious as to how the CVCs on the eastern portion of downtown will be affected if/when I-35 is lowered and/or buried. Will those for relevant parts of I-35 just go away?

When considering the CVC effect, it doesn't seem like the eastern side of downtown will have much of one, relatively speaking (especially when compared to Barton Creek Pedestrian Bridge, Lamar Bridge, and South Lamar at La Casa CVCs). Those on the western side truly affect the shape of buildings while allowing a fair amount of height in between them. The eastern side has so many CVCs that it just forces a plateau, with the exception of a very small number of spots.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2017, 2:14 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
To further the spirit of giving credit, the map is wwmiv's creation (which ATX said in the other post).
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I was on the train from NYC to Boston at the time and the wifi was dodgy, so it messed up my posting mojo.

CVC 5 is the one with the most impact to date. I'm looking forward to the effect CVC 8 will have (the one just west of Congress). It's a skinny one, so when it starts to show it will be this narrow sliver view of the dome between all the buildings. That will be cool.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. I was on the train from NYC to Boston at the time and the wifi was dodgy, so it messed up my posting mojo.

CVC 5 is the one with the most impact to date. I'm looking forward to the effect CVC 8 will have (the one just west of Congress). It's a skinny one, so when it starts to show it will be this narrow sliver view of the dome between all the buildings. That will be cool.
You can see the beginnings of CVC 8 by looking at 360 and IBC. 360's northern end was capped at 17 floors due to CVC 8, and the same with IBC's height. This one may not be as noticeable from the ground as CVC 5 though given it's (taller) height.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:48 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
10/29

The top of the overpass isn't part of a CVC, but Kevin got a nice shot of the dome. You can see the CVC effect shaping the western part of downtown in his photo (if you know what to look for).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 1:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

Some nice panos by corvairkeith in the Photos & Videos thread.

Quote:
A few panos from this afternoon

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 5:34 PM
Meh

That view is really shaping up to be something iconic. Keith's second photo there is almost like a perspective drawing stepping down to the focal point of the subject (the Capitol dome).

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 12:14 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Now we just need to have the other side behind the Independent fill in. 608 Guadalupe would make up part of the wall of buildings from that perspective I would think.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 4:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Now we just need to have the other side behind the Independent fill in. 608 Guadalupe would make up part of the wall of buildings from that perspective I would think.
608 Guadalupe will definitely add to the effect.

http://i.imgur.com/APNpKsd.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin