HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 8:54 PM
National Capital Region

I played around with the layout a bit.... this is adding a two-way bikeway. It would be a great north-south connection, the trick would be to find a smooth way to go through RCCS to connect with Byron (for southbound traffic)

In the bike routes section of the presentation they show a bike route in what looks to be the 'greenway' area, so they might already be proposing something like this, I'm not really sure.

here are three options proposed by the architect

Last edited by waterloowarrior; May 25, 2009 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted May 24, 2009, 11:35 PM
Busy Beaver

I think what would be really cool is if the greenway was landscaped to mimic a rugged "outdoorsy" terrain, with lots of rocks and native plants, kind of like a piece of the Canadian Shield. Since Bushtukah and Trailhead are at either end of the street, it could become a good place to test out hiking boots or mountain bikes

Teardrop Park in Manhattan is a kids playground that has this kind of feel:
from verdesian.com

One detail that some people miss on this street is how the hydro pole in front of Trailhead is a custom design that matches with the building.

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 3:07 AM

^^^ Victoria's Broad St has done pretty much as described, and it works like a hot-damn.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 4:32 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The development application documents have now been posted on the City's website:

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__7NX8LE

Here's the official siteplan proposal:

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:13 AM
National Capital Region

The Art of the Westboro Collection Compromise
http://communities.canada.com/ottawa...ompromise.aspx
By KENNETH_GRAY 06-16-2009 COMMENTS(0) THE BULLDOG

Filed under: Westboro, City of Ottawa, Westboro Collection, Christine Leadman

The Westboro Collection will be one of the defining developments within the urban boundary.

Two forces are at play with this project. First, the city wants height near Transitway stations so that as many people as possible can live within walking distance of bus rapid transit. Second, part of the project borders on residential areas where you don't want to go above six storeys because you begin to get problems like blocking daylight for single-family dwellings, a lack of privacy for homeowners, and wind-tunnel effects from tall buildings.

Futhermore, tall buildings take away the village atmosphere of the area (one of its selling points), though much of that has been lost already with block after block of trendy businesses and tall structures replacing traditional enterprises. Useful neighbourhood businesses such as food stores have been usurped by destination retail where people drive for miles around to find very specific merchandise.

Kitchissippi Councillor Christine Leadman, who represents the area, says McRae Avenue isn't much of a street now so the low-rise buildings planned in the Westboro Collection are fine there. But the 16-storey building at McRae and Scott Street near the Westboro Transitway station is too high and too near residential buildings. In fact, Leadman says some houses in the area have been put up for sale in anticipation of the project's construction.

Leadman would like to see the tower at between eight and 10 storeys. One of the problems she sees is that the consultant for the project, FoTenn, is using the nearby Metropole condo -- which she says most people in the community feel doesn't fit there at 32 storeys -- as a touchstone for its tower.

"The right thing to do is to meet with the community and find a compromise," Leadman said.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 6:05 PM

Anyone aware of any activity on this development?

Thanks,
K

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 11:06 PM
CondoGirl

Is it just me or is anyone else growing weary of this city's allergy to height in the downtown core while Centretown neighbourhoods are turned into monotonous corridors of the same generic 6-8 storey building clones...

CG

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlis View Post
Anyone aware of any activity on this development?

Thanks,
K
The date of the public meeting has been postponed until after labour day at the request of the community.

http://lovewestboro.wordpress.com/20...e/#comment-510

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
The date of the public meeting has been postponed until after labour day at the request of the community.

http://lovewestboro.wordpress.com/20...e/#comment-510
I find this delaying matters until post labour day to be frustrating...if you live in the neighbourhood etc and have concerns, put them in writing, send a neighbour or speak with the planner/councillor etc before you go on vacation...but to hold a project ransom due to some vision that everybody is away in July and August is archaic in my mind.....

Live goes on and doesn't just stop due to nice weather.....

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 2:40 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I find this delaying matters until post labour day to be frustrating...if you live in the neighbourhood etc and have concerns, put them in writing, send a neighbour or speak with the planner/councillor etc before you go on vacation...but to hold a project ransom due to some vision that everybody is away in July and August is archaic in my mind.....

Before you know it, it will be December and the City/developer will be accused of holding public meetings during the holiday season on purpose so no one shows up

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CondoGirl View Post
Is it just me or is anyone else growing weary of this city's allergy to height in the downtown core while Centretown neighbourhoods are turned into monotonous corridors of the same generic 6-8 storey building clones...

CG
Yeah, trust me... welcome to the club.

I think this is my first post in this thread, incidentally, so I'll also say I hope this goes forward. Looks like a quality project, and McRea could really use redevelopment.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Before you know it, it will be December and the City/developer will be accused of holding public meetings during the holiday season on purpose so no one shows up
Don't forget the Thanksgiving/Remembrance Day/Family Day/Easter lead up and post holiday period that you can't have public meetings scheduled for and you also have to give all community groups and neighbours at least 2 months lead time from when reports are filed etc for them to review them and to provide their ancedotal (sp?) evidence.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2009, 5:04 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
It's not that everyone is away, but that some number might be. Putting stuff in writing and all the other suggestions just are not the same as showing up at a community meeting and talking with the developer's representatives in groups and being there in person to have stuff explained and just being involved.

It's also better for the developer because it goes a long way to removing the "facelessness" aspect. And of course some of the developer's own staff might be away too...

Quote:
I'm sure that we in Westboro are fully aware of that. I mean I can't do anything without running into a construction project of some sort around here.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2009, 4:33 AM
National Capital Region

www.westborocollection.com has been updated... now featuring a Twitter feed

and news of the next Open House, scheduled for Monday September 14th, 6-9PM at the Embassy West on Carling

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Sep 8, 2009 at 4:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2009, 7:13 PM
National Capital Region

Anyone go to the open house or hear about what was presented?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Anyone go to the open house or hear about what was presented?
The revised proposal is reflected in the big PDF file on the website:
http://www.westborocollection.com/pdf/wc-panels.pdf

Basically, the height of the tower has been reduced from 16-storeys to 12-storeys. At the same time, the tower has become chunkier. It's the only meanginful change, as far as I can tell.

I don’t know what the reaction was, since I was not able to attend the open house and there was no summary in the community paper. However, 12-storeys remains higher than the existing buildings on the south side of Scott Street. As well, the parking entrance to the tower remains on Tweedsmuir Avenue and the walkway to Clifton Road is still there. Thus, continued opposition can be expected. This past summer, I saw a few properties on Clifton Road go up for sale.

I expect this whole area to change significantly over the next five years. For example, close by at 1946 Scott Street (sorry, I don’t know how to use Google Street View to give people a good picture), the owner of the small lot was seeking some minor variances to build a six-storey building. I don’t know if these were approved.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 11:43 AM

Update on the outcomes of the meeting

hi everybody

does anyone have any information on the reactions to the revised plans? Is this going to city soon for approval?

Living in the area, it will be nice to see some nice new development on this street. Westboro and Wellington are experiencing significant construction. Living in Westboro, I think we have to brace ourselves up for an important tax hike considering the value of resale in the last year....

16 percent increase in value in Westboro, 10 percent in Highland Park

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie View Post
The revised proposal is reflected in the big PDF file on the website:
http://www.westborocollection.com/pdf/wc-panels.pdf
someone needs to teach those guys how to assemble a proper panorama

Last edited by rakerman; Dec 5, 2009 at 3:16 PM. Reason: added quote

Old Posted Dec 5, 2009, 3:21 PM

having skimmed the plan, it certainly has an interesting mix of concepts and I like the mixed use as well

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 2:32 PM

update on this project?

Does anybody know if there are any new developments on this project? One would expect they would like to hit the market prior to the Soeurs de la Visitation condos....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa