Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:39 PM
BANNED

What "history" is not being taught?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMusashi View Post
The drawbacks of city living are the same now as they were during white flight.
This is factually untrue. Crime and pollution are way, way lower now than they were during the mid 20th century when the white middle class abandoned urban cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
I read Steely's post, most [2/3] hispanics are white in this country. He's talking about non-hispanic whites. When you tally up all the whites into one category and not splinter them off into separate racial groups, the total of whites is 75-77% of the total population.

U.S. Census projections still have this number around 71% of the total population in 2050.
Keep in mind the census records the self-identification of Latinos. So for example, IIRC, about half of Mexican-Americans self-identify as white. I don't think most Anglos think half of Mexican-Americans are white however.

That said, as I said before, the intermarriage rate among Latinos (and Asians) with whites is very high. Someone who is half Latino or 1/4th Asian will usually be given "white privilege" in public spaces.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:49 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

this has gone off the rails, i want to get back to applauding/bashing nashville.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveled View Post
What "history" is not being taught?
That poor white people have been mistreated, manipulated, and many not even considered to be "white". Of course this experience isn't as bad as slavery or segregation but it also wasn't one of overwhelming privilege either. Even today this isn't the case in many small and rural areas.

The Civil War is a good example. We regard the average Confederate soldier as being akin to an SS Stormtrooper when in fact they were worth less than the slave they were helping keep in bondage. A slave in the Antebellum South was worth what a fully loaded F-150 is today. An uneducated white man was worth barely some equipment and a hole in the ground after being slaughtered in battle.

It almost always boils down to rich vs poor. Hardly every white person then or today would be considered rich.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
The latest genetic research confirms that in fact, race is definitely not a social construct. When groups of humans don’t interbreed for 40,000 years it’s completely obvious that genetic selection will have an impact.
Genetic drift and traits are a real thing, but "race" is a social construct. If we are different "races" we would not be able to breed with each other. What race is somebody that is half African, half European? Hold up, I'll answer for you....Homo Sapien.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This is factually untrue. Crime and pollution are way, way lower now than they were during the mid 20th century when the white middle class abandoned urban cores.
This is kind of splitting hairs. Crime is still higher in the cities and the homes will always be smaller. The air pollution might be better but you still have to deal with noise pollution, litter, and brighter lights.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:03 PM

Quote:
That poor white people have been mistreated, manipulated, and many not even considered to be "white". Of course this experience isn't as bad as slavery or segregation but it also wasn't one of overwhelming privilege either. Even today this isn't the case in many small and rural areas.

The Civil War is a good example. We regard the average Confederate soldier as being akin to an SS Stormtrooper when in fact they were worth less than the slave they were helping keep in bondage. A slave in the Antebellum South was worth what a fully loaded F-150 is today. An uneducated white man was worth barely some equipment and a hole in the ground after being slaughtered in battle.

It almost always boils down to rich vs poor. Hardly every white person then or today would be considered rich.
Then what about Jim Crow which blantantly segregated blacks and whites?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:23 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
this has gone off the rails, i want to get back to applauding/bashing nashville.
Lol truly... I feel like this thread has somehow become a catch-all for any and all topics vaguely related to urban development. I guess it's better than listening to some people whine about how Nashville stole it's girlfriend though.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Then what about Jim Crow which blantantly segregated blacks and whites?
Poor whites and poor blacks. The rich of that time would have been segregated from them both. I hate to sound like a Marxist, because I'm actually a Republican, but there is some truth in divide & conquer of the working classes.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 5:33 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Lol truly... I feel like this thread has somehow become a catch-all for any and all topics vaguely related to urban development. I guess it's better than listening to some people whine about how Nashville stole it's girlfriend though.
my wife grew up in metro-ish nashville so i stole ITS girlfriend boom.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
All of this is true but even though only a tiny fraction of today's white Americans are descended from slave owners, a large proportion of Americans of various European origins have still come to feel some level of responsibility for the slave trade and its long-term impacts. (Heck even some white Canadians feel bad about it - I am not joking.)

If I may... here in Canada we have a historical wound with the indigenous population, and we're already seeing non-European origin Canadians descended from more recent immigration distancing themselves from the collective guilt on that issue. Sure, most of them agree somewhat with the broad idea of making amends, but my sense is how far they are willing to go with this might come up short compared to how well-intentioned Euro-Canadians feel. It's OK for now because Canada is going through pretty good economic times. We'll see in the future how that holds up.
If someone feels guilt for something bad that happened hundreds of years ago just because the perpetrator of that previous bad action had the same skin color as themselves then they are an idiot. Indeed that's not just dumb, it's a very serious moral flaw. People are not guilty for the crimes of others simply because they share the same skin color, nor are they guilty even if that historical individual was their great-great-great grandfather. Indeed if we look to the past we can easily find instances by almost all groups against many other groups to complain about. Muslims have killed Christians, Christians have killed Jews, Jews have killed Muslims etc. If we keep brining up all these crimes all we get is endless hate and war. Like Gandhi said, "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". None of us are descended from perfect people (and even if we were that wouldn't make us any more).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
The latest genetic research confirms that in fact, race is definitely not a social construct. When groups of humans don’t interbreed for 40,000 years it’s completely obvious that genetic selection will have an impact.
Yes, this new anti-science trend of saying things like race and gender are made up is pretty depressing. I understand it comes from a naive desire to end discrimination, but ignoring reality is never the solution to our problems. Of course ironically these same people who say race and gender are made up also seem to be the ones most obsessed with talking about the differences between the genders are races. The bigger issue is just that race isn't exactly a very good way to classify people. It's just based on superficial differences that only very loosely correlate to anything actually meaningful. Unfortunately it seems to me like our entire concept of diversity and inclusion is now tied to race (and to a lesser extent gender) which I actually see as quite counterproductive. If the stated goal of diversity is to get a diverse set of opinions then you need people who THINK differently, not people who LOOK differently. But very little effort is made to get this sort of diversity of viewpoint. Of course this is because the argument that we want diverse viewpoints is really just a legal fiction created by the fact that the Supreme Court said racial discrimination is illegal except if it's used in this fashion. The ACTUAL goal of most diversity and inclusion initiatives is naked racism, it's only cloaked in the concept of diversity of opinions in order to exploit this legal loophole. Here's hoping the current Supreme Court closes this loophole and makes racism of all types illegal.

Last edited by BrownTown; Jan 5, 2019 at 6:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:45 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
If someone feels guilt for something bad that happened hundreds of years ago just because the perpetrator of that previous bad action had the same skin color as themselves then they are an idiot. Indeed that's not just dumb, it's a very serious moral flaw. People are not guilty for the crimes of others simply because they share the same skin color, nor are they guilty even if that historical individual was their great-great-great grandfather. Indeed if we look to the past we can easily find instances by almost all groups against many other groups to complain about. Muslims have killed Christians, Christians have killed Jews, Jews have killed Muslims etc. If we keep brining up all these crimes all we get is endless hate and war. Like Gandhi said, "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind". None of us are descended from perfect people (and even if we were that wouldn't make us any more).
I mostly agree but as you know a lot of people still feel that whites have some responsibility - blacks and whites BTW.

There is also a smidgen of truth that people alive today still experience to some degree the consequences of slavery: positives for whites and negatives for blacks,

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 7:31 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
my wife grew up in metro-ish nashville so i stole ITS girlfriend boom.
Hahaha well played

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 7:36 PM

Quote:

i don't feel any personal guilt over it, but i take it in part heavily when considering the culture of my race/ethnicity, and especially the region i'm from - i take no pride in that, outside the recent progress we started making once we (mostly) let go of it after the the end of segregation. "city to busy to hate" and all that.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, this new anti-science trend of saying things like race and gender are made up is pretty depressing. I understand it comes from a naive desire to end discrimination, but ignoring reality is never the solution to our problems. Of course ironically these same people who say race and gender are made up also seem to be the ones most obsessed with talking about the differences between the genders are races. The bigger issue is just that race isn't exactly a very good way to classify people. It's just based on superficial differences that only very loosely correlate to anything actually meaningful. Unfortunately it seems to me like our entire concept of diversity and inclusion is now tied to race (and to a lesser extent gender) which I actually see as quite counterproductive. If the stated goal of diversity is to get a diverse set of opinions then you need people who THINK differently, not people who LOOK differently. But very little effort is made to get this sort of diversity of viewpoint. Of course this is because the argument that we want diverse viewpoints is really just a legal fiction created by the fact that the Supreme Court said racial discrimination is illegal except if it's used in this fashion. The ACTUAL goal of most diversity and inclusion initiatives is naked racism, it's only cloaked in the concept of diversity of opinions in order to exploit this legal loophole. Here's hoping the current Supreme Court closes this loophole and makes racism of all types illegal.
Yet white people attempt to shame minorites everyday for things other people of their race/religion did especially Blacks and Muslims.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 9:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yet white people attempt to shame minorites everyday for things other people of their race/religion did especially Blacks and Muslims.
Two wrong don't make a right..

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I agree, but I think there's something else going on simultaneously. A lot of white folks get really uncomfortable in the presence of lots of black people, even if it's upper class blacks.

Just to take a random example, if there's some upscale restaurant in (say) suburban Atlanta and it becomes very popular among African American professionals, non-blacks will say the place has "gone ghetto" or something and find a whiter location. Not saying everyone does this, but I still think it's a thing (and probably even among upper class blacks too). Blacks don't get the benefit of the doubt, and kinda have to "prove" they're respectable folks.

And if you're somewhere like Nashville, there's really little chance that blacks will "take over" the local fancy mall or upscale steakhouse or good school district or wherever. But in Memphis, or Birmingham, it's an issue.

I lived outside Memphis for about 12 years. When I went to Atlanta for the first time in 2012 I was honestly surprised at how many black people were at the mall in the northern burbs. I thought maybe the "black mecca" thing was for the city only, or the city and some southern burbs.

My experience in a small town(about 74k) in Arkansas and my visits to Memphis informed me that most black people were poor. Period. That wasn't racist or anything, its just what I saw. The Delta is full of poor blacks, and whites of course. So going to a place like Atlanta, full of black people, who most likely made more than I did(actually I was in college, probably 99% made more than me), was a new thing. Surprising. Experiences like mine are not uncommon I am sure and the more people are exposed to it the better off we will all be.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
St Louis, New Orleans, Little Rock, Jackson and Birmingham (in my experience) are similar which IMO holds them back compared to cities like Nashville. You also see this to a lesser extent in the lower midwest river cities like Louisville and Cincinnati.
100% agree. And besides Little Rock and Jackson, that completely sucks. Those cities are awesome or could be even more so with proper investment and lack of crime.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:08 AM

Quote:
This is kind of splitting hairs. Crime is still higher in the cities and the homes will always be smaller. The air pollution might be better but you still have to deal with noise pollution, litter, and brighter lights.
The fact remains that the pitfalls of urban living are much less today than in 1975, or even 1905. And none of the three issues you listed (noise pollution, litter, or bright lights) are really that much of an issue in broad swathes of even traditionally urban neighborhoods. Plus a lot of the suburbs are getting demonstrably worse - largely because the lower socio-economic strata which made city neighborhoods undesirable moved into the suburbs, leading to the same sort of crime and "school quality" issues being more evenly spread out.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 5:22 AM

This thread represents a big problem with some threads. Interesting to start with, pretty good discussion, and then it falls apart.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Jan 6, 2019 at 5:41 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions