HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:56 PM

From what I've been reading about today's council meeting, it sounds like Transit/ATU are really kicking up a fuss about Portage and Main reopening to pedestrians.

I'm not sure why they're getting so upset about that when there are far bigger problems facing Transit.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:58 PM

Also it has absolutely nothing to do with the union, it's disgusting they'd even get involved.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:16 PM

I just don't get the uproar in general over P&M. But there's a whole thread dedicated to it, so obviously people are in a tizzy over it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 5:23 PM

But that's like the auto workers union complaining that the new Chevy Trax is ugly.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The MTS Centre Tim's was the second downtown location (after Portage Place) which opened in the fall of 2004 along with the rest of the building. I don't think more downtown locations opened for at least another year after that.

(Yes, I probably drink too much Tim's.)
Long closed, there was a Tim's on Notre Dame where Robertson Career College is now.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Also it has absolutely nothing to do with the union, it's disgusting they'd even get involved.
Actually if your shift doesn't end until the bus is back in the garage and opening Portage and Main is going to mean it takes you longer to reach that point it is absolutely a union concern, especially if drivers are paid on salary and not hourly.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
Long closed, there was a Tim's on Notre Dame where Robertson Career College is now.
After that one closed there weren't any Tims downtown at all for a while until the Portage Place location opened up around 2000 or thereabouts. So I consider Portage Place to be the first out of the existing locations

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKB View Post
I think that was the first one. Built in 1981. They had offices upstairs. I used to go there all the time. Property is now vacant.
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Lin...!4d-97.1412414

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:30 PM

There are many things that already exist that do and can cause more delays than opening P&M ever will. And if it does add some extra time on, Transit will know about it in advance and it will be consistent and can be handled accordingly. Unlike an accident, construction, snowstorm, etc. that can cause significant delays and are unpredictable.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:37 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Actually if your shift doesn't end until the bus is back in the garage and opening Portage and Main is going to mean it takes you longer to reach that point it is absolutely a union concern, especially if drivers are paid on salary and not hourly.
Holy fuck, they're letting a few people cross the street, they're not making Main, Stradbrook and Osborne one-way northbound lol. Another minute delay is not going to affect the fairness of driver wages.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 7:52 PM

And I'd like to know

a) how many drivers get assaulted a year
b) how many of them are because the bus was delayed a couple minutes

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Looking on the city website the drivers are hourly, once trained you get over $18 per hour to about $28 after a fours years. But they have some sort of confusing to me time allotment before and after they finish their route that I can't figure out if its entitled to overtime or not.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Holy fuck, they're letting a few people cross the street, they're not making Main, Stradbrook and Osborne one-way northbound lol. Another minute delay is not going to affect the fairness of driver wages.
Thank you.

Speaking of, does anyone know if there's any real information that came out of the Dillon report on expected delays? I haven't had a chance to read through it.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Another minute delay is not going to affect the fairness of driver wages.
The point the transit union is trying to make is opening Portage and Main is not immaterial to their members. Would you be willing to work say an extra 30 minutes a day without any additional compensation?

The flip side is opening Portage and Main could mean needing more buses and more drivers. More buses also means more than just tires on the road as you need more mechanics, more garage space, etc.

If we want to open Portage and Main I have said from the start one of the things that needs to be done first is to mitigate the impact it will have on transit. That isn't as simple as putting buses on different streets but could involved building a dedicated north-south transit way through downtown.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 10:10 PM

How would opening it mean more busses?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 12:50 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
The point the transit union is trying to make is opening Portage and Main is not immaterial to their members. Would you be willing to work say an extra 30 minutes a day without any additional compensation?

The flip side is opening Portage and Main could mean needing more buses and more drivers. More buses also means more than just tires on the road as you need more mechanics, more garage space, etc.

If we want to open Portage and Main I have said from the start one of the things that needs to be done first is to mitigate the impact it will have on transit. That isn't as simple as putting buses on different streets but could involved building a dedicated north-south transit way through downtown.
It's a 1 minute delay. I don't see this significantly impacting transit operations, or the time worked by the drivers. The notion that opening it up will create such a delay that you'll have o add buses to maintain frequency is absurd.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
It's a 1 minute delay. I don't see this significantly impacting transit operations, or the time worked by the drivers. The notion that opening it up will create such a delay that you'll have o add buses to maintain frequency is absurd.
If the opening of P&M only adds a minute that would be a miracle, anyone with even a sliver of common sense realizes the delay will be much, much longer.

Can't wait until it opens and a grubby panhandler with a sign occupies every corner and the medians of that intersection!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
If the opening of P&M only adds a minute that would be a miracle, anyone with even a sliver of common sense realizes the delay will be much, much longer.
How will it be any worse than Broadway and Main, Portage and Memorial, Broadway and Osborne, Portage and Donald or any number of other downtown intersections with lots of cars and pedestrians?

How much of a delay do you think a dozen people crossing a street can generate?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 4:19 PM

Why would opening P&M mean drivers work longer for no pay? Surely Transit has the ability to forecast drive times to make sure employees are back. its not like opening one intersection adds 8 hours to someone's drive time.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2017, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Let's see your 'common sense' analysis, then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan