HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 3:34 PM

You could close off the direct access to the mall parking lot between Applebee's and Mac's and force people to enter off Pembina or Southpark. There isn't a ton of traffic coming EB out of Waverley Heights, so that'd make a big difference.

There are currently 8 entrances to that parking lot. I don't think going down to 7 is going to affect anything. The only red flag would be that there's no other ways to easily turn left and go NB on Pembina, but this is one case where I think adding a light to close off that other intersection would be massively beneficial. You could add a light at Thatcher.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 8:35 PM

An article on street cars and Detroits greatly heralded Qline.

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...urce=SFTwitter

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 10:56 AM

Cory B, Glenn99, sorry, I can't restrain myself.

"Short of exportations of commercial properties"
"0% chance of any improvement without expensive appropriation"
I think the word "expropriation" would be better here.

Last edited by joe denisovan; Oct 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Spelling error (blush)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
You could close off the direct access to the mall parking lot between Applebee's and Mac's and force people to enter off Pembina or Southpark. There isn't a ton of traffic coming EB out of Waverley Heights, so that'd make a big difference.

There are currently 8 entrances to that parking lot. I don't think going down to 7 is going to affect anything. The only red flag would be that there's no other ways to easily turn left and go NB on Pembina, but this is one case where I think adding a light to close off that other intersection would be massively beneficial. You could add a light at Thatcher.
I'm pretty sure a set of lights will be added at Southpark for Rapid Transit so unlikely one would be added at Thatcher. All around bad planning has resulted in a mess.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe denisovan View Post
"Short of exportations of commercial properties"
"0% chance of any improvement without expensive appropriation"
I think the word "expropriation" would be better here.
I stand corrected.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 10:24 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Oct. 4, 2017 Public Works Committee meeting...Reports > Agenda item #2 re: SW BRT and Pembina Underpass (Expansion Project)

Video Link

Last edited by LilZebra; Oct 15, 2017 at 10:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2017, 10:52 PM

NYC MetroCard

Twenty year old MetroCard, to pay fares on MTA (New York) transit, to be replaced by "newer" tech. system. To include "tap" cards, cellular phones, (Apple iPay?).
Will use same technology as London (UK).

The thing about the "tap" cards, like typical ATM bank cards, is that they don't work on tapable systems. You need an actual "Credit Card" or "pre-paid card" (like Visa / Mastercard from MoneyMart or similar) to work. That means extra $ for me if we were to dump the current "OCTranspo" (I'll call it that) system and move to an MTA system.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/n...-new-york.html

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 12:46 AM

Tap cards (Oyster) in London are their own system and work perfectly.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 1:07 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Kinda wish they kept the old theme for continuity / tradition.

And at some unknown date in the future..

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:15 AM

While I do love the orange, since Tranist's colours are blue an silver now, I'd like to see the busses updated to reflect that. The current design is so outdated and brutal. Also don't know why they switched to "City" branding/colours, away from Transit's... the city needs an upgrade too. Everytime I see the logo I just think of the 1999 Pan Am Games.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 8:59 AM

"Resistance is Futile" -- The Borg

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:17 PM

But are transits colour actually the funny blue, yellow thing? Or blue and silver? All their maintenance vehicles are white with orange. Signs are still white and orange everywhere. It's just the buses with the funny colours and some of the main stops with the blue colour. Change it back to orange. The new bus with the large orange logo above looks great!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:20 PM
What could go wrong?

I have to agree with the orange and white busses/colour scheme, but I am not in favor of bringing back that butternut yellow colour - yuk. I always hated that, even as a kid.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 2:42 PM

^ Yeah, I wasn't fond of that yellow either. It looked OK on the streetcars but not on the buses.

The last liveries that used orange didn't have any yellow at all... this is the type of thing they should go back to.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:22 PM

Still a few of the short buses are orange. You can also see the blue/silver signage in that photo.

How old is that photo? Old enough to have orange buses and newspaper boxes with actual newspapers in them. But new enough to have the Buswatch signs.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:31 PM

^ Not sure how old that photo is, as I just found it via a quick google image search. But judging by the clues in the photo (Buswatch signs, the Tim's at Graham and Fort, the Free Press On7 box) I'd say it's probably from about 5-10 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:32 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
How old is that photo? Old enough to have orange buses and newspaper boxes with actual newspapers in them. But new enough to have the Buswatch signs.
Not sure how old the photo is but if you look past the primary bus you see a much older bus 812 in the background.

You could likely do some research on if/when 812 was retired from service. The bus watch sign installation date is another key. That Tims though is a red herring as it is easily been there 15 years now. That said, if the image quality is high enough the news paper boxes could offer some more clues.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:48 PM

While I would prefer orange, but we've spent millions on all the bus stop upgrades with blue and silver – that's the colour scheme. That's what's on the website. The standard bus stop signs have a little tiny orange T and some blue, but mostly white, barely a scheme. The scheme on the current busses is the City of Winnipeg colours, the transit police thing is weird though, probably just didn't think it was important enough for a redesign.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
That Tims though is a red herring as it is easily been there 15 years now. That said, if the image quality is high enough the news paper boxes could offer some more clues.
The MTS Centre Tim's was the second downtown location (after Portage Place) which opened in the fall of 2004 along with the rest of the building. I don't think more downtown locations opened for at least another year after that.

(Yes, I probably drink too much Tim's.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan