HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 8:34 PM
Hindrance to Development

In other words, no renderings of skyscrapers, so no fun for Majin.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2016, 8:38 PM

No thats not what I meant. There was no substance about a path towards smart urban growth, policies, etc.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 7:43 AM
NIMBY Hater

Forgive me for the off-topic post, but I am looking for some ideas for a school project, and I'm always impressed with the body of knowledge here. If you have a favorite suburban TOD development/proposal you've seen, will you PM me the name/location? I am just trying to come up with ideas for a case competition centered around a San Diego County commuter rail station. Nothing too dense/tall as it's not in the urban core, but needs to add some density to the area. Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Thanks forumers!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Forgive me for the off-topic post, but I am looking for some ideas for a school project, and I'm always impressed with the body of knowledge here. If you have a favorite suburban TOD development/proposal you've seen, will you PM me the name/location? I am just trying to come up with ideas for a case competition centered around a San Diego County commuter rail station. Nothing too dense/tall as it's not in the urban core, but needs to add some density to the area. Any ideas or suggestions welcome. Thanks forumers!
Orenco Station, Hillsboro, Oregon.

It's not a favorite, but it's frequently cited.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post

Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but there's this new area in suburban Salt Lake being built called "Daybreak". It's being built around a new Trax line. I just drove through there a few months ago and was pleasantly surprised. It reminded me of what I always thought North Natomas could/should look like.

http://www.daybreakutah.com/

Source: http://www.bestsaltlakehomes.com/new...ybreak-map.htm

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 11:06 PM
NIMBY Hater

Thanks guys. I am pretty familiar with Daybreak as I lived in Salt Lake for eight years. It is a huge scale and master planned, so it differs in many ways from my site. But I will examine the areas near the Trax station.

I don't know the other one, so I will look at the Oregon suggestion too.

If anyone else thinks of anything, feel free to reach out.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 5:54 AM
Here we stAy

Check out the Contra Costa Center/Pleasant Hill BART Station TOD. Lots of articles about it and how it has performed with occupancy and/or attracting retail tenants.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:28 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsmotorsport View Post
Check out the Contra Costa Center/Pleasant Hill BART Station TOD. Lots of articles about it and how it has performed with occupancy and/or attracting retail tenants.
Thanks! That's a good lead too.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 9:16 PM

What is going on with the odd paint scheme they put on the Jade Apartment Building? It looks like the dazzle camo paint jobs they used to put on ships back in WWII.

I thought that building was destined for demolition - not defacing.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
What is going on with the odd paint scheme they put on the Jade Apartment Building? It looks like the dazzle camo paint jobs they used to put on ships back in WWII.

It is. But the developer has postpone construction indefinitely on the new Hyatt Centric hotel. Could be a year or two before we see any demolition.

Quote:
http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...all-hotel.html
Developers have not said when they plan to begin construction. But they estimate work could take 18 to 22 months.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:

I assumed that had to do with the art exhibition that's going on in the Marshall, I may be wrong though.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post
It is. But the developer has postpone construction indefinitely on the new Hyatt Centric hotel. Could be a year or two before we see any demolition.
Wait why is this delayed? I thought construction would take 18-22 months, not to just begin construction?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
Wait why is this delayed? I thought construction would take 18-22 months, not to just begin construction?
Who knows? Initially they wanted to open the hotel around the same time as the arena. Maybe they're waiting until the arena and retail development is completed before they take action.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:07 AM
Here we stAy

I've heard they are trying to figure out the exact way to support the historic walls of the Marshall while construction of the new hotel is happening. Could be quite the trick to keep up those old unreinforced masonry walls.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 4:12 PM
Hindrance to Development

The "Art Hotel" art exhibition is going on in the Jade Apartments, the only part of the Marshall involved in the exhibit is the main lobby, but that's definitely worth a look, as well as the rest of the project. I like the look of the artwork on the outside of the Jade--it makes a relatively plain building pop out visually.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The "Art Hotel" art exhibition is going on in the Jade Apartments, the only part of the Marshall involved in the exhibit is the main lobby, but that's definitely worth a look, as well as the rest of the project. I like the look of the artwork on the outside of the Jade--it makes a relatively plain building pop out visually.
It pops all right. And it's a good bet that if submarines try to torpedo the Jade, they will get confused and miss.

It's good temporary use of the building and adds some art flavor to the city. Just as long as some of your followers don't take a run at preserving the building based upon it's new role as an art museum.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:22 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
It pops all right. And it's a good bet that if submarines try to torpedo the Jade, they will get confused and miss.
Well, if it works on submarines, maybe it will work on wrecking balls!
Quote:
It's good temporary use of the building and adds some art flavor to the city. Just as long as some of your followers don't take a run at preserving the building based upon it's new role as an art museum.
This city needs "art flavor" more than it needs hotel rooms. Hopefully your worst nightmares will come true and folks will say "Why not a permanent art installation in the heart of downtown?" Because, you know, nothing says "cow town" like art galleries in an urban setting.

I have followers? Heh. Amusing.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Well, if it works on submarines, maybe it will work on wrecking balls!

This city needs "art flavor" more than it needs hotel rooms. Hopefully your worst nightmares will come true and folks will say "Why not a permanent art installation in the heart of downtown?" Because, you know, nothing says "cow town" like art galleries in an urban setting.

I have followers? Heh. Amusing.
Where we have to differ isn't an art vs. hotel argument.

If the people who own the property want to build an art museum. Then yeah I'm all for that.

I'm also all for the property owners if they want to tear it down and build a new hotel, condos, etc.

I'm not in favor of someone making the decision for them. So if you want the art and the building to stay in place, go buy the damn thing.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2016, 12:00 AM

The Coffee Garden has closed. I love quirky places, sad to see this one go.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 6:22 PM

This is the best 6 minutes I've spent all week. Old promo video found on archive.org called "The Sacramento Story... Ready for the 1980's".

https://archive.org/details/casacsh_000093

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area