HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Has cord cutting spanned to Canadian Culture?

We take it for granted that a generation ago nearly 100 percent of the population watched american television on a somewhat regular basis.

Since cord cutting has emerged do you think this has decreased american influence?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:13 PM
Moran supreme

Nope.

Why?

Because so many cord cutters first thing to do is to get US Netflix going as well as other grey market media - cord cutters are not clambering to get Canadian produced media.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Nope.

Why?

Because so many cord cutters first thing to do is to get US Netflix going as well as other grey market media - cord cutters are not clambering to get Canadian produced media.
US netflix isn't what I exactly call american centric.

Sure they are content made in part by americans but I think it's very different than watching television stations specifically targeting an american audience.

Most shows today are designed to target a wide ranging audience.

Sure things are sometimes set in america, but its designed to target the globe.

Even a show like house of cards which is technically american, takes it's lead from a british show.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think we've lost local content as technology has involved, not gained it. CBC NL used to produce a whole variety of shows, from soap operas to quiz shows to satire news and entertainment programs. You couldn't get Wonderful Grand Band or even CODCO developed now, I bet. Everything has to be lowest common denominator like Republic of Doyle. Great to still have the local stuff, but it's often really dumbed down.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 6:32 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
We take it for granted that a generation ago nearly 100 percent of the population watched american television on a somewhat regular basis.

Since cord cutting has emerged do you think this has decreased american influence?
Isn't this anyways obsolete as Canadian television (after the massive shake up in the 2000s) infiltrated American television by offering a cheaper product.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 7:15 PM

I think cord-cutting has INCREASED American influence.

By streaming, the CRTC has less control over what cord-cutters are watching - which means less exposure to Canadian content they didn't want to watch (and especially pay for). Cord-cutting will force Canadian produced media to provide content that people actually find interesting. Compete or perish.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 7:32 PM

Canadian TV is pathetic anyway. This is just a case of people voting with their pocketbooks. Not willing to pay for a lousy product.

Only problem is that in many rural areas they are left with nothing at all.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 7:42 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Canadian TV is pathetic anyway. This is just a case of people voting with their pocketbooks. Not willing to pay for a lousy product.

Only problem is that in many rural areas they are left with nothing at all.
Get satellite internet and choose from thousands of internet-box TV packages from around the world. I'm probably switching to UK TV with set-top box and remote within the year. They're offering me 40 British channels including 4 movie channels, most of the American TV shows will be there and less fluff. Still cheaper than regular cable and you get exactly the stuff you like. The only drawback is I don't get local Canadian TV news and Canadian HGTV but then I prefer to read the news than watch it anyway. Sports can be had via streaming as well based on the sports you actually watch and not 4 largely useless channels filled with golf, NASCAR and curling which I'm not into.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 8:05 PM
Busy Beaver

A lot of subliminal American cultural influence is transfused through the ads while watching US TV in real time on cable. Without those ads and the news (especially FOX) I'd say cord-cutting results in less American influence.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 9:04 PM
See ya down under, mates

No one watches Fox News in Canada as it is though.

My born-in-1990 brother has never had cable and uses a VPN to watch American netflix etc.

I was born in 1980 and have cable but only watch DVR'd shows so I also don't see ads or news.

I don't believe American influence has gone down at all. If anything it's increasing. Youtube/instagram/snapchat is the new cable and there will always be a lot more of them than us.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
No one watches Fox News in Canada as it is though.

My born-in-1990 brother has never had cable and uses a VPN to watch American netflix etc.

I was born in 1980 and have cable but only watch DVR'd shows so I also don't see ads or news.

I don't believe American influence has gone down at all. If anything it's increasing. Youtube/instagram/snapchat is the new cable and there will always be a lot more of them than us.
Based on the constant references on this site to Fox News I thought all progressives watched that channel. Are you telling me that those people are full of shit? LOL!

As for cord cutting resulting in less American influence that's clearly not true. What are people streaming? It would appear the exact same stuff they were watching when they had cable or satellite along with programming produced by Amazon, Netflix, etc. which probably means even more American influence.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 12:27 AM

I'd argue that it has increased American influence, but also British influence, Japanese influence etc. Streaming has essentially resulted in a much more globalized audience for television shows. If you are willing to go beyond the usual streaming providers like Netflix, you can find virtually any television show available to stream online.

I don't view increased foreign cultural influence as either a good thing or a bad thing. People will choose to watch shows they enjoy, regardless of where they come from. If people enjoy American programming, then what's the problem? I'd certainly say the increased selection in programming over the last few years has been good. Less government control over streamed content is also good. The CRTC is simply a tool of the nanny state we've established that implies that the government knows what's best for us, and what we should and shouldn't be watching.

I actually have no problem with public funding for Canadian content. The BBC proves that public broadcasters can produce top notch programming. What I don't like is the mandating of Canadian content, particularly when imposed on private broadcasters and radio stations. It's pretty simple really... Make good content and people will watch it.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 1:06 AM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinational View Post
I'd argue that it has increased American influence, but also British influence, Japanese influence etc. Streaming has essentially resulted in a much more globalized audience for television shows. If you are willing to go beyond the usual streaming providers like Netflix, you can find virtually any television show available to stream online.
And it's also increased the accessibility of Canadian shows. I know at least 4 people who binge-watched Being Erica and they never even heard of that show when it was on CBC.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 2:54 AM
Calgary Martindale

I'm 70 years old and a cord cutter. Don't think of me as a boomer. Think of me as a depender. That generation that increasingly needs help because the toilet is too far away.

The young are cord nevers and, as my generation dies, cable TV dies as well.

Anecdotally, I watch little American content. The Internet provides content worldwide. It is deep in quality content - as opposed to the beautiful intelligent personalities spewing chatty conversation filled with drivel on conventional TV. I do need some of that but enough is enough.

An aside, I called Netflix, to complain about the near absence of Quebec film in Canada and further complained about the limited number of international movies available in Canada. They said big things are in the offing. We'll see.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 4:12 AM

My vote is that it will reduce Canadians' consumption of Canadian TV shows + movies, as most youth migrate to Netflix. Other than Trailer Park Boys, Netflix funds almost no Canadian content and is currently not required to by regulators. This wasn't the only possible outcome, but for English Canada, outside the CBC the private cable networks have unfortunately produced little quality TV. I've always wondered what would have happened if, back when most people consumed movies at the theatres, the Canadian government had instituted CanCon rules for movies like they did for Canadian music on the radio. Would it have similarity led to a flourishing of the Canadian film industry? Unsure, but it would have been interesting to watch. What is clear is that what we have now isn't working. John Doyle of the G&M regularly produces laments on the lackluster state of current offerings. Here's the most recent, with an awesome title: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...ticle29292356/

Love Quebec movies + shows though. 19-2 is great, as are any of a number of recent films: Mommy, Le Mirage, Félix et Meira, etc. Shame that they produced a (worse) English translation of 19-2 instead of just airing the original with English subtitles.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Canadian TV is pathetic anyway.
There are a few diamonds in the rough. X Company is really good and Sunnyside is hilarious.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 4:56 AM

I always make sure to watch Canadian shows. I don't really know if cord cutting will make that much of a difference. I wonder if Netflix will have competition down the road as I find it doesn't offer a whole lot of diversity.

When it comes to the shows I watch with my pre-school aged daughter, I'm amazed at how many of them are made in Canada. And many of these shows air on major U.S. and International networks.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I think we've lost local content as technology has involved, not gained it. CBC NL used to produce a whole variety of shows, from soap operas to quiz shows to satire news and entertainment programs. You couldn't get Wonderful Grand Band or even CODCO developed now, I bet. Everything has to be lowest common denominator like Republic of Doyle. Great to still have the local stuff, but it's often really dumbed down.
probably easier to sell overseas, thats what seems to happen to a lot of shows these days. Even a lot of W's home shoes have gotten really more bland so they can be sold and aired on US HGTV

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 12:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Based on the constant references on this site to Fox News I thought all progressives watched that channel. Are you telling me that those people are full of shit? LOL!

As for cord cutting resulting in less American influence that's clearly not true. What are people streaming? It would appear the exact same stuff they were watching when they had cable or satellite along with programming produced by Amazon, Netflix, etc. which probably means even more American influence.
I've spent 20-30 times more time in the last 5-10 years watching aljazeera, cbc news, or bbc than anything american.

The only thing that ever gets my attention is cnbc business(international markets mostly)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 3:07 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Cord-cutting will force Canadian produced media to provide content that people actually find interesting. Compete or perish.
My primary source of television is Netflix and I hardly watch American-produced programs. Over the last few months, I've watched some high quality productions from Australia (The Code), Norway (Occupied and The Heavy Water War) and obviously the UK (Driver and Happy Valley).
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada