HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 3:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The number of people on here who use Netflix but aren't primarily hooked on American content seems very high relative to what's likely really happening on the ground.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 3:23 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The number of people on here who use Netflix but aren't primarily hooked on American content seems very high relative to what's likely really happening on the ground.
You might be right. In my conversation with Netflix, cognicent that the vast majority of users watch American offerings, I indicated that I would be willing to pay 2 dollars more for a significantly expanded international offering. Call it Netflix International if you will.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
My primary source of television is Netflix and I hardly watch American-produced programs. Over the last few months, I've watched some high quality productions from Australia (The Code), Norway (Occupied and The Heavy Water War) and obviously the UK (Driver and Happy Valley).
Happy Valley is great...but quite an oxymoron of a title. Luther is also good if you liked Happy Valley. It is also on Netflix.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 3:50 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Happy Valley is great...but quite an oxymoron of a title. Luther is also good if you liked Happy Valley. It is also on Netflix.
Broadchurch is like Happy Valley but better and more suspenseful.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 6:17 PM

We "cut the cord" a couple of years ago, only paying Rogers for internet. No home phone (we have cells) or cable TV. Never really watched it anyway and we get what we need on Netflix, Hulu+ and other sites via a smartDNS subscription.
Network TV really had nothing I wanted to watch that I couldn't get online.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:01 PM

Is it really cord cutting when you are paying for online services?

I'm pretty hardcore on that. If I lived in the GTA I would have no problem with the OTA offerings. I think it's bad enough that I have to have an overpriced Internet service.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 8:33 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Is it really cord cutting when you are paying for online services?

I'm pretty hardcore on that. If I lived in the GTA I would have no problem with the OTA offerings. I think it's bad enough that I have to have an overpriced Internet service.
You're close to the mark when it comes to saving money. It's also about product. The product via streaming is strong and growing. Imo, it's already a superior product. I don't expect to save money. I want superior choice and superior products. It's moving in that direction.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 9:09 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I loved Luther. It was such a good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Broadchurch is like Happy Valley but better and more suspenseful.
I didn't think a second season would work for Broadchurch yet I enjoyed it.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Apr 11, 2016, 11:33 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
We take it for granted that a generation ago nearly 100 percent of the population watched american television on a somewhat regular basis.

Since cord cutting has emerged do you think this has decreased american influence?
No, most of what I watch on Netflix, etc. is probably American, many of the shows on over-air commercial broadcast TV (a free alternative to cable) are also American. I don't think that would change it much. Although local market TV production may be less now, there are many more alternatives available for local content (i.e. youtube).

Also, in the "old" days, I think there was about the same amount of non-American production as there is now.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 2:27 AM
The good old days are now

In Montreal, there is quite a lot of choice over the air... Really makes no sense to subscribe to cable unless you watch a lot of live sports. The best ones of the bunch are the PBS channels. Usually something interesting on.

https://twitter.com/MontrealOTA/stat...00411525357568

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 4:22 AM

Maybe a relevant quote from one of the most influential people of the 20th century who had a huge impact on how the word works today. From 1928, so nearly 90 years ago. Edward Bernays.

Quote:
The American motion picture is the greatest unconscious carrier of propaganda in the world to-day. It is a great distributor for ideas and opinions.
The motion picture can standardize the ideas and habits of a nation. Because pictures are made to meet market demands, they reflect, emphasize and even exaggerate broad popular tendencies, rather than stimulate new ideas and opinions. The motion picture avails itself only of ideas and facts which are in vogue. As the newspaper seeks to purvey news, it seeks to purvey entertainment.
Great read that is highly recommended and VERY RELEVANT to this discussion. http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/bernprop.html

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 8:06 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Based on the constant references on this site to Fox News I thought all progressives watched that channel. Are you telling me that those people are full of shit? LOL!
On Shaw at least it's a premium channel. Like I find myself watching it if I'm in an American hotel room just to see how Republicans end up thinking the way they do but I'm not curious enough to pay for it at home. I don't get MSNBC either despite being more in line with their views, just CNN, on my "best of HD" package.

I watch PBS and Al Jazeera on youtube, despite getting the former on cable.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Is it really cord cutting when you are paying for online services? I'm pretty hardcore on that. If I lived in the GTA I would have no problem with the OTA offerings. I think it's bad enough that I have to have an overpriced Internet service.
That's how it's defined in popular culture... the cord referred to is cable TV, generally...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
On Shaw at least it's a premium channel. Like I find myself watching it if I'm in an American hotel room just to see how Republicans end up thinking the way they do but I'm not curious enough to pay for it at home. I don't get MSNBC either despite being more in line with their views, just CNN, on my "best of HD" package.

I watch PBS and Al Jazeera on youtube, despite getting the former on cable.
Fox News was on an unscrambled free trial period on Vidéotron recently.

I had only watched it sporadically when travelling in the US until now.

It was interesting that it looked as spiffy (the people and the set) as the Today Show but with the difference that it's just a constant litany of "bad stuff" that Obama has done.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:27 PM

I have VIP cable through Rogers bundled into my condo fees. I can't really cut the cord even if I wanted to.

Funny enough, when it comes to cable usage, I only watch CP24 in the morning as I'm having coffee/getting ready. Otherwise, it's all Netflix/Youtube streaming.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 1:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Maybe a relevant quote from one of the most influential people of the 20th century who had a huge impact on how the word works today. From 1928, so nearly 90 years ago. Edward Bernays.

Great read that is highly recommended and VERY RELEVANT to this discussion. http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/bernprop.html
Very interesting. I had read this before a long time ago.

I've never believed (contrary to what is often said) that the massive intake of American stuff is entirely without consequence on Canadian values, mindset and society.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 2:25 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
cord cutting
Had to google that one.

Found out I'm a cord cutter.

I watch CBC and CTV for news. Everything else is Netflix.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2016, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fox News was on an unscrambled free trial period on Vidéotron recently.

I had only watched it sporadically when travelling in the US until now.

It was interesting that it looked as spiffy (the people and the set) as the Today Show but with the difference that it's just a constant litany of "bad stuff" that Obama has done.
No doubt about that. I remember when the Republicans had control of the house and senate and George W Bush was president then everything was the fault of immigrants (especially illegal Mexicans) and of course there was the whole terrorist thing where they big time supporting the wars.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada