HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I believe the Modern Club has changed ownership in the past 12 months or so.
Has it changed for the better or for the worse since?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Gull View Post
I believe the Modern Club has changed ownership in the past 12 months or so. I was there earlier this year... it was OK, but I thought quite pricey for what is essentially "hearty" fare.
Good to know! I'll give it another shot sometime, I haven't been since early last year. Too bad the prices haven't improved though - I don't hate their okonomiyaki, but what I've had there certainly wasn't worth $16 or however much they're charging now.

Quote:
I don't think we'll see Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki here in our lifetimes... although I certainly enjoy it. But I don't think it's an easy fit for your typical West Coast palate.
Ehh, I think that Hiroshima-style would go over better with people here (the noodles make it seem a little more familiar) but I'm hugely biased.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 7:25 PM
sparky

guu on robson is probably the best guu, but be prepared to line up. the one on thurlow is pretty good too. not as much of a fan of the gastown one, and i haven't heard too many good things about the richmond one.

the denman zakkushi was much better than the kits location but haven't been to either for a while.

i prefer the kits hapa to the robson one.

yuji's on fourth is izakaya-ish and their food is consistently good as well as friendly service.

modern club on dunbar - i have to say i was seriously underwhelmed but then i had just gone to one of the best okonomiyaki places in osaka only a couple of weeks before that!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 5:08 AM
BANNED

Last edited by bugsy; Oct 16, 2009 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 5:24 PM
loafing in lotusland

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by quobobo View Post
Good to know! I'll give it another shot sometime, I haven't been since early last year. Too bad the prices haven't improved though - I don't hate their okonomiyaki, but what I've had there certainly wasn't worth $16 or however much they're charging now.

Ehh, I think that Hiroshima-style would go over better with people here (the noodles make it seem a little more familiar) but I'm hugely biased.
16$!!! I should open up an okonomiyaki restaurant. It's DEAD easy to make, cheap ingredients and commands a premium!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:42 PM

There really isn't much of a true Izakaya in Vancouver... though Shabusen is not bad for large parties. The whole thing about Izakayas is really the atmosphere of a large group getting just a bit rowdy ordering another round of daijokis. Zakkushi is pretty good as a yakitori joint but still... Vancouver will never be able to match the atmosphere of one of these places in Osaka (can't speak for Tokyo but imagine it is the same). Now all this talk is making me get all nostalgic. Good thing I'll be back in Kansai for a couple of weeks next March.

Aside: Have you seen there will be "North America's First Exclusively Sukiyaki Restaurant" at Burrard and Broadway? Don't know if we'll go... like Okonomiyaki it's easy enough to make at home. For thin sliced meat cuts we just go to Nikuya on Hastings (near the PNE).

Old Posted Nov 27, 2008, 9:13 AM
BANNED

Last edited by bugsy; Oct 16, 2009 at 7:38 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining