HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:44 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
How does a mistake like that even happen... Most people would be jacked if the brick was wrong on their detached garage.

Can't help but think about Continental originally proposing a 2 story building, and then saying they were feeling "bold" or "ambitious" or whatever the word was, and added a 3rd story. I think they're trolling us.
Continental is clearing trying to turn Pittsburgh into an inferior city so they will all move to their projects in Columbus.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
And you can clearly see the demographic for it above as well ^
Do you mean professionals? Or business people?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 2:59 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

I think the massing is perfect for that site and didn't we all know that any large scale developments eating up the last remaining sportz parking would have huge parking garages incorporated into the design?

I just wonder which of these "databases" was scoured for the rendering?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Groundbreaking for the large 28 acre "new urbanist" style village in Oakmont. And you can clearly see the demographic for it above as well ^

http://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbur...nt?oid=1339133
My wife works for the architecture firm involved - hell, she played a fairly large role in the project, IIRC, since she was going out to meetings in Oakmont on a weekly basis for awhile. I'm surprised I don't see anyone I know in the photo (Edit: See one of the principals in the back - blended in with the other gray-haired white dudes).

The "Melllon's Orchard South" really concerns me though. It's the "empty corner" of Penn Circle. Obviously it's an old article you linked to (from 2007), but it indicates at that time ELDI wanted to build detached single-family housing inside Penn Circle.

Hopefully plans have changed.

Last edited by eschaton; Oct 9, 2014 at 3:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:25 PM

More idle thoughts--there is a new 10-story hotel going into the former surface parking lot on the other side of Federal:

http://massarocorporation.com/dzs_po...y-inn-express/

That plus the rendering I linked has me looking at the lots on either side of Federal past the highway (one a parking lot, the other with a single-story post office and lot):

https://goo.gl/maps/yS1qp

If those could also be redeveloped with some decent-height buildings, you'd have a pretty impressive cluster of buildings around the Federal underpass, which might go a long way to providing a greater sense of continuity between the North Side and North Shore and on to Downtown.

Of course the big prize would then be to do something better with the former Allegheny Center Mall--at least cut an open path through it along Federal, and even better redevelop some or all of it into bigger, more useful buildings.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:27 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
More idle thoughts--there is a new 10-story hotel going into the surface parking lot on the other side of Federal:

[IMG]http://media.bizj.us/view/img/2921731/hie-perspective-view-for-cover-sheet*600xx593-889-49-0.jpg[/IMG]

That plus the rendering I linked has me looking at the lots on either side of Federal past the highway (one a parking lot, the other with a single-story post office and lot):

If those could also be redeveloped with some decent-height buildings, you'd have a pretty impressive cluster of buildings around the Federal underpass, which might go a long way to providing a greater sense of continuity between the North Side and North Shore and on to Downtown.

Of course the big prize would then be to do something better with the former Allegheny Center Mall--at least cut an open path through it along Federal, and even better redevelop some or all of it into bigger, more useful buildings.
Great ideas! Also... something needs to be done about those decaying tennis courts on Stockton... very depressing.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Also... something needs to be done about those decaying tennis courts on Stockton... very depressing.
Agreed. And while we are at it, these surface lots on either side of Sandusky should be redeveloped:

https://goo.gl/maps/USV0p

And now we have created a second nice gateway area around the Sandusky underpass.

This is fun! There is so much to imagine with nice flat land and lots of large lots.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Agreed. And while we are at it, these surface lots on either side of Sandusky should be redeveloped:

https://goo.gl/maps/USV0p

And now we have created a second nice gateway area around the Sandusky underpass.

This is fun! There is so much to imagine with nice flat land and lots of large lots.
I think this area has the most potential in the short term, because some of the old neighborhood is left. More than elsewhere in the North Shore anyway. My favorite area to wander down there anyway (which admittedly isn't saying much).

Pannier Corporation's building is worth saving. Although short it's deep and completely fills its parcel.

And most of George Wilson Co's property should be razed, but the one historic building which is a portion of it is rather nice. Looks like it was plopped down from the Cultural District.

BTW, does anyone know the history of this little guy? Always intrigued me, both because it's still standing despite being small and because the facade is so unique. Given it's surrounded by a parking lot I don't expect it will survive redevelopment of the area however.

EDIT: This whole area is theoretically more walkable than much of the walkable portions of the city, because it's a five-minute walk from the North Side Giant Eagle. Hard to beat that.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think this area has the most potential in the short term, because some of the old neighborhood is left. More than elsewhere in the North Shore anyway. My favorite area to wander down there anyway (which admittedly isn't saying much).
I also wander through that area sometimes, and agree on its immediate potential. It has some nice existing buildings, and is just across the river from Downtown, and as you point out has access to the Giant Eagle and the rest of that commercial area--seems like an easy case.

I also agree about all the buildings you picked out being well worth saving.

228 Isabella is the former Frederick J. Osterling Studio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederi...ice_and_Studio

As indicated there it is listed with the National Register and the PHLF. I don't know if it is also listed under the City Code, but it sure should be.

Edit: These are the ten criteria for City designation. You just need one. You can make an argument the Osterling studio hits almost all of them:

Quote:
(1) Its location as a site of a significant historic or prehistoric event or activity;

(2) Its identification with a person or persons who significantly contributed to the cultural, historic, architectural, archaeological, or related aspect of the development of the City of Pittsburgh, State of Pennsylvania, Mid-Atlantic region, or the United States;

(3) Its exemplification of an architectural type, style or design distinguished by innovation, rarity, uniqueness, or overall quality of design, detail, materials, or craftsmanship;

(4) Its identification as the work of an architect, designer, engineer, or builder whose individual work is significant in the history or development of the City of Pittsburgh, the State of Pennsylvania, the Mid-Atlantic region, or the United States;

(5) Its exemplification of important planning and urban design techniques distinguished by innovation, rarity, uniqueness or overall quality of design or detail;

(6) Its location as a site of an important archaeological resource;

(7) Its association with important cultural or social aspects or events in the history of the City of Pittsburgh, the State of Pennsylvania, the Mid-Atlantic region, or the United States;

(8) Its exemplification of a pattern of neighborhood development or settlement significant to the cultural history or traditions of the City, whose components may lack individual distinction.

(9) Its representation of a cultural, historic, architectural, archaeological or related theme expressed through distinctive areas, properties, sites, structures or objects that may or may not be contiguous; or

(10) Its unique location or distinctive physical appearance or presence representing an established and familiar visual feature of a neighborhood, community, or the City of Pittsburgh.

Last edited by BrianTH; Oct 9, 2014 at 4:22 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post

BTW, does anyone know the history of this little guy? Always intrigued me, both because it's still standing despite being small and because the facade is so unique. Given it's surrounded by a parking lot I don't expect it will survive redevelopment of the area however.
That is Frederick Osterling's former studio. He designed the Union Trust Building among others in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederick_J._Osterling

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 6:13 PM

woops! looks like we all missed the new planning commission meeting presentation from the 7th.

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/sch...ion-51-636.pdf

Only one new thing:

*Baum Boulevard Automotive Garage, 4709 Baum in Shadyside.New Open Parking Garage for display and employee parking. Tacked onto an existing building. No renders in the presentation.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 7:03 PM
JasonInPGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Found5dollar View Post
woops! looks like we all missed the new planning commission meeting presentation from the 7th.

http://apps.pittsburghpa.gov/dcp/sch...ion-51-636.pdf

Only one new thing:

*Baum Boulevard Automotive Garage, 4709 Baum in Shadyside.New Open Parking Garage for display and employee parking. Tacked onto an existing building. No renders in the presentation.
Renderings are at the bottom of the presentation, along with the rest of the things from the meeting. Only two small things. They are moving around some parking at Stage AE, and there is a presentation for the expansion of seats at Heinz Field.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 8:53 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
More idle thoughts--there is a new 10-story hotel going into the former surface parking lot on the other side of Federal:

http://massarocorporation.com/dzs_po...y-inn-express/

2nded. Great ideas.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:03 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
Do you mean professionals? Or business people?
White haired, upper middle class people.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 9:12 PM

Quote:
White haired, upper middle class people.
Couple gingers in there. Not sure how I feel about that.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 11:11 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I like the proposal for the North Shore. They need more buildings like that up there, and I'm all for doing something with Allegheny Center. I think they should drop I-279 below grade and build a deck over it and erect a new Amtrak station there as well. I did a sketch-up model of how I'd like to see this developed...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 1:51 AM

500 pages already!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:50 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Woods View Post
500 pages already!
95 posts in only 5 years!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:14 AM

I believe that AHN is moving some office space from 4AC to 2AC. If enough space is vacated in 4AC that would make it a prime candidate to be replaced by something taller. If nothing else, just because it is so dingy inside.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:58 AM

4-building SouthSide Works project unveiled
http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201410100105

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations