HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 1:17 AM

[New Westminster] Riversky | 33fl & 28fl | U/C

This was mentioned already in the Suburban thread, but being New Westminster's tallest tower RiverSky by Bosa warrants its own thread. 33 and 28 floors.

http://bosaproperties.com/riversky/

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 2:00 AM

Those pictures must be of the penthouse as I'm pretty sure all the one and two bedroom units are between about 525 - 850 sq ft. It is a pretty great location though - next door to the river market, across the street from New West station and with all sorts of small shops around. Plus the view of the river.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 7:07 AM

The last 3 interior pics posted are of the 1 bedroom units that utilize the BosaSpace system which is why they look so spacious.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 6:26 PM
dazzle me

i'd be humiliated to tell people i lived in a building called "riversky"

Old Posted Feb 15, 2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
I will admit the name is rather overdone, but the project itself seems "good value for money" as well as having unpretentious, but distinctive architectural style.
It's one more bead on the string. Here is one addition to the fine infrastructural elements making Vancouver such an emergent city. (it's in the process; wait 10 years).

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 8:48 PM

They are really going all-in with this space-saving thing. Some pretty innovative ideas.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:02 PM

Quote:
When I first saw it, I thought it was a Polish or Russian name with "skee" at the end.

Last edited by s211; Feb 16, 2015 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 9:34 PM
Vancouver Bus Driver

I'm really excited about this. I'm actually quite surprised that they're able to build such tall towers here given the complaints at Sapperton, but I'm happy they succeeded. There is way too much surface parking on that side of the tracks, and this is a great way to use the land while bringing more people to the quay day-round and year-round. I would love to live there.

EDIT: By the way, does anybody know if there is potential for another pedestrian crossing of Columbia/the railroad tracks to go along with this project, perhaps an accessible one with elevators? Right now the surface crossing is very bumpy and harder to get to, the Pier park/parkade crossing is really far away, and the pedestrian crossing at New West Station is inaccessible to those in wheelchairs/scooters.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 11:38 PM

There may be connection to the exitsing overpass - check the Suburban thread for past postings on this project - maybe search New Westminster or Quayside.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2015, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large Cat View Post
I'm really excited about this. I'm actually quite surprised that they're able to build such tall towers here given the complaints at Sapperton, but I'm happy they succeeded. There is way too much surface parking on that side of the tracks, and this is a great way to use the land while bringing more people to the quay day-round and year-round. I would love to live there.

EDIT: By the way, does anybody know if there is potential for another pedestrian crossing of Columbia/the railroad tracks to go along with this project, perhaps an accessible one with elevators? Right now the surface crossing is very bumpy and harder to get to, the Pier park/parkade crossing is really far away, and the pedestrian crossing at New West Station is inaccessible to those in wheelchairs/scooters.
Almost all the neighbours there live in highrises, so no one really needs to complain about tall structures. Besides, the towers are not really blocking anyone nearby as the railway yard is right at the entrance. Most important of all, there aren't any river viewcone policies in New West.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 12:44 AM

Hmm I hope they do something about the way this thing meets the street. The parking lot and blank retaining wall/stairs up to the lobby aren't doing a whole lot for me. Other than that the towers themselves are fine.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 1:11 AM
See ya down under, mates

New West is doing some nice stuff. Part of me wishes I chose to buy there instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Almost all the neighbours there live in highrises, so no one really needs to complain about tall structures.
This isn't how NIMBYs work. The most ferocious mid-rise-only activists in my 'hood live in the tallest tower, and they successfully killed a plan to build an even taller tower between them and their precious views.

Quote:
My building's name is much worse but I don't think I've ever used it. Just give the cross street or address.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:19 AM

Not sure I understand where this is exactly. Is this really in the hotel/Westminster savings parking lot?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hmm I hope they do something about the way this thing meets the street. The parking lot and blank retaining wall/stairs up to the lobby aren't doing a whole lot for me. Other than that the towers themselves are fine.
"The street" in this case is basically an alley that skirts the railroad and isn't really a pedestrian friendly thoroughfare. For context, this is situated in what is currently the New Wesminster Savings, Inn at the Quay parking lot. I'm really curious to see the other side, since that is the part of the project that meets the pedestrian heavy boardwalk and existing amenities. The render is actually kind of the back of the project. Also that weird floating stairwell will have an overpass connection the the street bridge over the train tracks and connections to New West station.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
Not sure I understand where this is exactly. Is this really in the hotel/Westminster savings parking lot?
yes

Old Posted Feb 17, 2015, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
"The street" in this case is basically an alley that skirts the railroad and isn't really a pedestrian friendly thoroughfare. For context, this is situated in what is currently the New Wesminster Savings, Inn at the Quay parking lot. I'm really curious to see the other side, since that is the part of the project that meets the pedestrian heavy boardwalk and existing amenities. The render is actually kind of the back of the project. Also that weird floating stairwell will have an overpass connection the the street bridge over the train tracks and connections to New West station.
Ahh fair enough, thanks for the info. I was never too familiar with New West, even when I lived in Van. Is there any reason to try to make more of the lane fronting the railroad or is it a bit of a lost cause?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
There may be connection to the exitsing overpass - check the Suburban thread for past postings on this project - maybe search New Westminster or Quayside.
That must be what that odd floating steel structure is for indicated in the second render.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPaul View Post
Yes that's right.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 12:41 AM

Quote:
After playing around with google streetview it looks as though that shitty setback from the street for the corner of surface parking in the above rendering is actually underneath the footprint of the overpass.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2015, 12:43 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Yeah, imagine buying a low floored, north facing unit, just based on the illustration. "They didn't say anything about a train yard, viaduct, sketchy dilapidated area near a lane, view of a blank wall of a mall with a busy road and skytrain!"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley