HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
No, actually I think this project is perfectly alive. It's just moving really slow. They were drilling for core samples a few months ago.

Those owners will never give up that lot, IMO.
No, they won't give up the lot, but the project they have been tinkering with for the past few years may not be the project that ends up happening on that lot. It is a very sexy location that just gets better with time. They may eventually go with their fairly modest proposal, but why haven't they already done so? I suspect that eventually Schlosser may partner with a bigger developer and build something more substantial. I am sure that any flood plain issues can be worked out in the design and engineering process, assuming that it is time to begin building something on that site.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 4:39 PM
Rundberg & I35

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
No, they won't give up the lot, but the project they have been tinkering with for the past few years may not be the project that ends up happening on that lot. It is a very sexy location that just gets better with time. They may eventually go with their fairly modest proposal, but why haven't they already done so? I suspect that eventually Schlosser may partner with a bigger developer and build something more substantial. I am sure that any flood plain issues can be worked out in the design and engineering process, assuming that it is time to begin building something on that site.
I could see an 700 ft office/hotel/condo building at this location. Could you imagine 15 floors of Class A office space under a Ritz Carlton hotel/residences here?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
I could see an 700 ft office/hotel/condo building at this location. Could you imagine 15 floors of Class A office space under a Ritz Carlton hotel/residences here?
YES. I am surprised Ritz or Magnolia haven't jumped into the Austin market yet. Out of all the brands, i want to see 21c come back.

That location is begging for some seriously tall development

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
YES. I am surprised Ritz or Magnolia haven't jumped into the Austin market yet. Out of all the brands, i want to see 21c come back.

That location is begging for some seriously tall development
That height would have to be slivered into the sight which compromises the size of the floor plate as the building goes vertical. There are others on this site more familiar with the CVC imact and resulting design issues than I am. Maybe somebody could give a refresher course?

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 1:50 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Guess it's time for the Shoal Creek Tunnel Project.
You know, it's funny because in one of those Block 1 Residential renderings it does show Shoal Creek as a nice clean full waterway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
That height would have to be slivered into the sight which compromises the size of the floor plate as the building goes vertical. There are others on this site more familiar with the CVC imact and resulting design issues than I am. Maybe somebody could give a refresher course?
This is where the CVC runs through that lot. As long as they avoid the CVC as they did with at least one of the plans for the building, they could go as high as they wanted. Of course I'm sure they'd have to get a different FAR number.

I think eventually we'll see a really tall tower on one of these CVC lots. Them slimming down a lot pretty much will necessitate it eventually.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 9:46 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Shoal Creek through that segment has water year around because it's level with the river so the water tends to flow up into the creek for a little ways.

Austin is pretty lucky to have two creeks traversing through Downtown and the huge opportunities that come with them which Waller is beginning to be realized. These creeks are a major asset to Downtown and I have no doubt that sometime in the future, the city will do something similar with Shoal Creek as they are doing with Waller. Maybe a percentage of the tax income from development in the Waller Creek District can be set aside for a Shoal Creek flood control system.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Shoal Creek through that segment has water year around because it's level with the river so the water tends to flow up into the creek for a little ways.

Austin is pretty lucky to have two creeks traversing through Downtown and the huge opportunities that come with them which Waller is beginning to be realized. These creeks are a major asset to Downtown and I have no doubt that sometime in the future, the city will do something similar with Shoal Creek as they are doing with Waller. Maybe a percentage of the tax income from development in the Waller Creek District can be set aside for a Shoal Creek flood control system.
That would be amazing. They're both beautiful and very different creeks. I would love to see more park space and connectivity for Shoal creek. It's so damn beautiful and vast.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 3:06 PM
Member since 2001

Whole Foods taking 40M SF of office space in The Bowie does not bode well for this project...

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:13 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think they did it because they needed the office space sooner rather than later. 311 is almost done. This project has yet to break ground if it does at all.

I would rather see a tall tower on this site anyways.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2014, 6:41 PM

^^That was my thought as well, because this latest article in the American-Statesman noted

Quote:
In early 2012, Schlosser Development Corp. was planning a two-tower project slated for 2.7-acre parking lot site bounded by West Fifth, Bowie and West Sixth streets and Shoal Creek. At the time, Whole Foods said it was running out of office space for its corporate workers and could be moving new workers into the Schlosser project by 2015.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 11:43 PM

This may be another old project that still has a pulse. There was a new permit filing a couple weeks ago for this as a mixed use project. But there are no other details in the new filing.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11224354

...and I know this means nothing. But Schlosser still has the 18-story version rendering on their website:

http://www.sdcaustin.com/ShoalCreekWalk.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 2:27 AM

The west end is the hottest area in terms of real estate right now in Austin. This property must be burning a hole in Schlosser's pocket right now. If not because they want to develop it, then at least because of all the potential buyers bugging them about selling it. The west end of downtown combines that high end West Austin feel with downtown urban living. News of 5th and West breaking ground soon takes away all of the doubt about developing for Schlosser. Or, at least, it should.

I really don't get what has taken them so long, tbh. They should have been more bullish. This building should be built already.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 4:40 AM

Quote:
The west end is the hottest area in terms of real estate right now in Austin. This property must be burning a hole in Schlosser's pocket right now. If not because they want to develop it, then at least because of all the potential buyers bugging them about selling it. The west end of downtown combines that high end West Austin feel with downtown urban living. News of 5th and West breaking ground soon takes away all of the doubt about developing for Schlosser. Or, at least, it should.

I really don't get what has taken them so long, tbh. They should have been more bullish. This building should be built already.
It's in the flood plain. WF doesn't or can't develop a certain parcel from what I've heard...I believe they still own that block.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 4:43 AM

They completed all of their floodplain studies, last I heard. They were able to work around it.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 9:22 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
I agree, the West End is one of my favorite areas of DT. The atmosphere is great. I am looking forward to the continued buildup of that area.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 11:19 PM
Member since 2001

Without a major tenant, this project is dead (or at best mothballed). It was originally designed around the notion that Whole Foods was going to take the majority of space in this development. Oh, times have changed...

Schlosser may be trying to position the property for a future sale...by obtaining the max amount of permitted flexibility for the site (see Tom Stacy's former plan for the Bank of America block at Sixth & Congress - seems to have worked for him).

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:08 AM

This parking lot is closed off now with no parking signs. Anyone hear anything about this?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 2:32 AM

You know, from that side, I'm not that crazy about the Bowie.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
You know, from that side, I'm not that crazy about the Bowie.
Architecture is art, and everyone has their own opinion. I personally think the Mona Lisa is an over rated piece of crap that a high school student could paint. Just sayin...

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 5:52 AM
Meh

The only current actions I could find (there are a few from September, though), are for a temporary right of way use permit. Apparently they're relocating a driveway on the property.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11229401
Quote:
Temporary Right of Way Use Permit

Relocation of driveway and other improvements along 5th Street

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin